buying a SE 245 , please some advise

gaia

hi
I have found a Paul Reed Smith SE 245 made in Korea in 2013 for 500€ second hand , in very good shape

and a new s 245 on thomann online seller PRS SE 245 Standard TS for 499€ new made in Indonesia i guess ,not sure
the made in Korea had a price about 800€
are there big differences in the quality woods , hardware , quality control?

what will you advise me ?

Quality will be similar as PRS in Maryland inspects both and will hold back any they find with defects. For me the biggest difference is the used SE will have a maple top and the Standard will not. You should expect more high end in your sound with the maple top. The standard will have more midrange. Pick the one that gets the sound you want.

Quality will be similar as PRS in Maryland inspects both and will hold back any they find with defects. For me the biggest difference is the used SE will have a maple top and the Standard will not. You should expect more high end in your sound with the maple top. The standard will have more midrange. Pick the one that gets the sound you want.
hi @AP515
do the have double action truss rod or is still single action ?
and by the way the only prs with thin wide neck is the tremonti se ,isn't it?
Quality will be similar as PRS in Maryland inspects both and will hold back any they find with defects.
what do you mean ?
does PRS usa inspects all the guitars made in Korea and Indonesia even they are cheap ?

I don't think that other brands do the same ,i really can believe fender or gibson or ibanez or others inspect their guitar made in other nations above all they are cheap
i know the prs made in Korea til 2005 had high quality (read from many prs users) , after the quality was and is different

thanks AP515

I echo what AP 515 has said about the tops, Sound wise if we look at another manufacture's model the Les Paul standard has a maple top, where as the Les Paul custom is solid mahogany. You could easily find recordings of both and then determine witch you like more.
At this point I would like to add that I in no way am trying to imply that the SE and Les Paul are of the same quality, but it will get you a comparison of what the two different tops sound like. Also bear in mind that the maple top will have a veneer on it, some have stated that this affects tone but I have never noticed it.

I have an Indonesian made SE245 (2019) and the quality is outstanding. I can't speak to the tonal differences between the SE245 and the Standard, but I can say the Indonesian factory is building some high quality guitars (at least in my experience).

hi @AP515
do the have double action truss rod or is still single action ?
and by the way the only prs with thin wide neck is the tremonti se ,isn't it?

what do you mean ?
does PRS usa inspects all the guitars made in Korea and Indonesia even they are cheap ?

I don't think that other brands do the same ,i really can believe fender or gibson or ibanez or others inspect their guitar made in other nations above all they are cheap
i know the prs made in Korea til 2005 had high quality (read from many prs users) , after the quality was and is different

thanks AP515
The SE245 family will all have the wide-fat necks. One of my favs!

Having witnessed it myself, at least in the US, all SE instruments come to the Maryland factory for inspection and setup before distribution to dealers. Like AP mentioned, the Standard is all mahogany versus the maple top on the SE245 from Korea. My personal preference is for the Korean SE245 only because I already have several all mahogany guitars. It is a versatile and elegantly playing instrument. Highly recommended.

Though I’ve since changed the pickups, the stock pups and electronics are great on their own and add to the already high value of this model. Such a great guitar! Go get one!

Btw, there is a thick maple top on the SE245 under the pretty flamed laminate.

se245pup2.jpg

Last edited:
The SE245 family will all have the wide-fat necks. One of my favs!

Having witnessed it myself, at least in the US, all SE instruments come to the Maryland factory for inspection and setup before distribution to dealers. Like AP mentioned, the Standard is all mahogany versus the maple top on the SE245 from Korea. My personal preference is for the Korean SE245 only because I already have several all mahogany guitars. It is a versatile and elegantly playing instrument. Highly recommended.

Though I’ve since changed the pickups, the stock pups and electronics are great on their own and add to the already high value of this model. Such a great guitar! Go get one!

Btw, there is a thick maple top on the SE245 under the pretty flamed laminate.
hi
love the pickups covers and how does it sound!!!
about the truss rod , does somebody know if it's single action or douple action truss rod ?
all SE instruments come to the Maryland factory for inspection and setup before distribution to dealers
can i ask a question does prs usa inepct all the SE models only? does SE mean made outside of USA?
how can i understand which guitars prs makes in usa and which makes outside usa?
thanks

At this point I would like to add that I in no way am trying to imply that the SE and Les Paul are of the same quality, .
Hi
I hope so , because the les paul quality changed me , i will never buy a gibson or even an ephine , about gibson i have seen so many guitars with broken headstock and neck
never seen on other brands!
thanks

This is my SE245. it is one of the last Korean made before they moved to Indonesia. I have modded it with Tusq Nut, Locking Tuners, Adjustable Bridge, New Electronics Package, and Knobs. It was awesome before I started, but I made it my own, and it is still awesome in my eyes. These are super guitars and can be easily modded if you are so inclined and able. The Wide Fat necks are a breeze to play, even with smaller hands.

IpbNpxK.jpg

about the truss rod , does somebody know if it's single action or douple action truss rod ?

I believe it's a Double Action but I am not 100% certain...

can i ask a question does prs usa inepct all the SE models only? does SE mean made outside of USA?
how can i understand which guitars prs makes in usa and which makes outside usa?
thanks

All SE's are the overseas made PRS and ALL SE's are sent to PRS (US or Europe) for checking and set up before distribution to retailers. What that means is that the guitar 'passed' inspection on the date you see on the hangtag - which could be months before you actually get your hands on one and it could have been hanging in a store for anyone to come in and try it. That being said, PRS check all SE's and if its an 'SE', it was made overseas. S2, CE/Bolt-ons, Core etc are all made in the US.

As others have said, their is a difference between the Custom and Standard SE's. The Standard is an all mahogany body with limited colour choices whilst the Custom has a decent thickness maple cap with a maple veneer and is much closer to the 'cores' in both colour choice and look. You also get a lot more choice when it comes to models too with the Custom. It really depends on what you prefer and whether the difference is worth paying more for. I think they are amongst the best guitars you can buy at their price point regardless.

Of the two you mention, the Custom 245 may well cost the same as a new Standard, but it cost more to buy and someone has already taken the 'hit' of buying new - if that matters to you - you are getting a more expensive guitar but without any of the guarantees or protection you get from buying new...

All SE's are the overseas made PRS and ALL SE's are sent to PRS (US or Europe) for checking and set up before distribution to retailers. What that means is that the guitar 'passed' inspection on the date you see on the hangtag - which could be months before you actually get your hands on one and it could have been hanging in a store for anyone to come in and try it. That being said, PRS check all SE's and if its an 'SE', it was made overseas. S2, CE/Bolt-ons, Core etc are all made in the US.

As others have said, their is a difference between the Custom and Standard SE's. The Standard is an all mahogany body with limited colour choices whilst the Custom has a decent thickness maple cap with a maple veneer and is much closer to the 'cores' in both colour choice and look. You also get a lot more choice when it comes to models too with the Custom. It really depends on what you prefer and whether the difference is worth paying more for. I think they are amongst the best guitars you can buy at their price point regardless.

Of the two you mention, the Custom 245 may well cost the same as a new Standard, but it cost more to buy and someone has already taken the 'hit' of buying new - if that matters to you - you are getting a more expensive guitar but without any of the guarantees or protection you get from buying new...
hi
first thank you so much for the answer
by the way the prs made in usa are so shining ,i guess because the use lacquer ,they are lacquered
while the SE are opaque
i have read about the frets , the usa use great frets and they last a lot , while the prs made in Korea or Indonesia use frets of poor (mix of or blend of ) materials and they worn very quicly
is it true?
thanks again

hi
first thank you so much for the answer
by the way the prs made in usa are so shining ,i guess because the use lacquer ,they are lacquered
while the SE are opaque
i have read about the frets , the usa use great frets and they last a lot , while the prs made in Korea or Indonesia use frets of poor (mix of or blend of ) materials and they worn very quicly
is it true?
thanks again

PRS US are changing their finish to a Nitro over a 'hard' Nitro/Plexiglass base coat but before that, they had a Hard coating. The vast majority of their guitars are stained with a clear coat on top - very few use an opaque finish - although the Silver Sky is one such model.
The vast majority of SE's are 'stained' with a hard clear coating on top - especially the Customs - hence you can SEE the Grain pattern of the veneer. The SE's may have an opaque finish on the back because the body is made of multiple pieces of Mahogany so the Grain and Stains would not necessarily match - different pieces of wood take stain differently. They are also finished with a 'clear' coating
Whether the formula is 'exactly' the same, with the same 'thickness', I don't know but so many companies have their OWN formula for finishing a guitar and whilst some could be very similar, some can also be very different. Not ALL Nitro is the same, not all Poly finishes are the same.

PRS US use the 'hardest' Nickel Alloy they can get. Like there are many different formulas for finish, there are a LOT of different Alloys for Nickel (and Steel too btw). I don't think the SE's use the same alloy for their fret wire (I could be wrong) they are not 'poor' and don't wear very quickly. Fret wear has a lot to do with the way a player plays and the strings they use too. The reason they wear is because the strings are much harder than the frets and if you push a 'hard' material against a soft material, the softer one will wear - so it depends on how hard the player is pushing strings into frets and whether or not they are using the hardest steel strings. Also depends on whether the player actually bothers to polish their frets as that reduces friction and wear too.

At the end of the day, an SE is cheaper for a reason - not just 'labour' costs of building them. Part of the cost is also paying PRS staff to check them first and make sure everything is within their tolerances. They are certainly no worse than any other guitar you can buy at that price and are regarded as one of the 'best' guitars you can buy at that price range. If you want 'better', you have to pay more. I know a lot will say an SE is not a 'quarter' of the guitar a Core is, despite being a quarter of the price but if you want the best, you have to pay for it. The SE's, like all guitars in the same price range, are made to sell at that price. If they spend more on materials, parts etc, the price goes up and up and puts them in a different price bracket and that then defeats the purpose of making an affordable guitar. I think you will be hard pressed to find a guitar at the same price points that is overall 'better' or as consistent.

If you can't afford or not willing to pay more for a guitar, then you have to accept that some compromises are made to keep an instruments cost down. Part of that may well be using 'cheaper' labour costs in factories with lower overhead costs but some of that is also down to using 'cheaper' parts, materials etc too so they can actually bring a guitar to market at a certain price point. They aren't going to be putting $300 Pickups in a $500 guitar made in Indonesia, shipped to the US, checked and set up by PRS and then shipped to stores. That being said, it also has PRS on the headstock so they have to be the 'best' guitars you can buy for $500 because PRS wouldn't put their name on it otherwise....

The Korean PRSi (and I believe the Indonesian as well) have a poly top coat, which is a different finish than the USA ones. Don’t worry about the truss rod, if the guitar wasn’t made properly, the truss rod won’t matter, and these are. I had a Korean SE 245 for many years. It was a fantastic guitar. Even though I prefer the sound of the 25” scale, I couldn’t sell the damn thing because it was so well made. I used it for musicals, because the intonation was spot on. Then I became afflicted with whammy madness, and now most of mine have trems.
The standard should have a slightly “darker” sound. I (personally) would get the Korean one, get a new nut, locking tuners and have the guitar set up by a luthier. Either way, it’s probably going to be a guitar you won’t want to sell. They both hit WAY above the price point. Let us know what you get, and your impressions after the honeymoon.

Last edited:
Here’s my SE245 Standard.

It is a lot of instrument for the money it cost (nothing for me as it was a gift!)

Mine has had no upgrades, well apart from the truss rod cover!;)

It’s a great guitar and totally holds its own against all my other guitars.

You will not be disappointed with an SE245.

It is a lot of instrument for the money it cost (nothing for me as it was a gift!)

Mine has had no upgrades, well apart from the truss rod cover!;)

It’s a great guitar and totally holds its own against all my other guitars.

You will not be disappointed with an SE245.
Every time I see that axe I am in wonderment. The top is awesome.

PRS US are changing their finish to a Nitro over a 'hard' Nitro/Plexiglass base coat but before that, they had a Hard coating. The vast majority of their guitars are stained with a clear coat on top - very few use an opaque finish - although the Silver Sky is one such model.
Hi
a friend of mine owns 3 prs make in Korea 1000€ or more and all of them are really very opaque , maybe they are old models 5 or 6 years old and ,maybe they use an "hard" Nitro/Plexiglass
about the hardware i can understand it
If you can't afford or not willing to pay more for a guitar, then you have to accept that some compromises are made to keep an instruments cost down. Part of that may well be using 'cheaper' labour costs in factories with lower overhead costs but some of that is also down to using 'cheaper' parts, materials etc too so they can actually bring a guitar to market at a certain price point. They aren't going to be putting $300 Pickups in a $500 guitar made in Indonesia, shipped to the US, checked and set up by PRS and then shipped to stores. That being said, it also has PRS on the headstock so they have to be the 'best' guitars you can buy for $500 because PRS wouldn't put their name on it otherwise....
well the point is I love the prs made in usa , some of them (my fav) cost around 4600€ or more , i would like to play a cheaper guitar and after think about an usa prs
i play mostly stratocaster and telecaster , and honestly i own the usa professional (strat and tele), the players (strat and tele) , i haven't notice differences that can justify the price , here in Europe a player costs around 600€ , a professional 1600€
may ask last question about the sustain , is it true fixed bridge or "docked" bridge in the prs increase a lot the sustain compared to fender stratocaster or floyd rose bridge + body wood and neck glued
thanks
The Korean PRSi (and I believe the Indonesian as well) have a poly top coat, which is a different finish than the USA ones. Don’t worry about the truss rod, if the guitar wasn’t made properly, the truss rod won’t matter, and these are. I had a Korean SE 245 for many years. It was a fantastic guitar. Even though I prefer the sound of the 25” scale, I couldn’t sell the damn thing because it was so well made. I used it for musicals, because the intonation was spot on. Then I became afflicted with whammy madness, and now most of mine have trems.
The standard should have a slightly “darker” sound. I (personally) would get the Korean one, get a new nut, locking tuners and have the guitar set up by a luthier. Either way, it’s probably going to be a guitar you won’t want to sell. They both hit WAY above the price point. Let us know what you get, and your impressions after the honeymoon.
Hi
about the truss rod , just because the relief is a personal choice ,some like a straight neck/fretboard other with more relief
thanks

hi
it's simple gorgeous , i would add only pickup covers ,nothing else
thanks

I think all PRS guitars sustain very well. Depending on your touch and picking, the results may vary. I will tell you that when you put some gain behind them, every single one I've ever played screamed, and I've played quite a few different models. The new nut is the only thing I'd absolutely recommend you do.

hi
@AP515
@Fireroadeddy
@kipkohl
@Boogie
@Wakester
@Mozzi
@dogrocketp
@Alnus Rubra
@dmatthews
i have the se made in Korea for few day to test , look like brand new , no a scratch , upgraded tuning machine autoblock schaller
but I can't understand if the truss rod is ok?
i tried the gibson key 8mm but it does not work , i guess it's 7 mm
the frets are like new ,but very low , like gibson les paul , great player but i guess they will worn quickly , but they are just like new

might you please give a look the the truss rod nut please?
tvrv1Ix.jpg

uN90QIZ.jpg

Ulps2d9.jpg

Last edited:
It's a double action, but I don't know what size wrench will fit. I can't remember. The frets will wear no more quickly than any other guitar I've ever owned.

Back