BRW vs. IRW

I have had many of each. I like Brazilian because its so rare, but as far as tone goes, I think its crazy to say one sounds better than the other. Both Brazzy and Indian give a low mid hump that can sound a bit muddy, especially with overdrive. That being said, I play clean most of the time, and I adjust the amp with a little less bottom end when using Rosewood necks. I have made A/B/C clips with Brazzy, Indian, and Mahogany, and let me tell you, it is HARD to tell the difference when you are totally honest with yourself. Even between Mahogany and Rosewood, never mind Indian or Brazilian. If you go PS, maybe blind fold yourself and have someone tap on several different neck blanks of each while listening. Go for the one that rings better, although that may not even matter that much in the end.

Where do Pernambuco and Chaltecoco fit in?

Where do Pernambuco and Chaltecoco fit in?

I have never tried Chaltecoco so I have no idea. I bought a DGT special run with a Pernambuco neck, but it sounded really odd to me, and not in a good way. I returned it for a ME Quatro. Much better IMO, but the neck was just to small compared to my WFs. Extremely nice guitar however. If it had 57/08s and a WF, it would have been a keeper for sure..........

My favorite PRS guitars are the semi hollow/trem Artist 3s, and cu22 semi hollows, so take that into consideration with my opinions. Although I do not use trems, with PRS guitars, I find the extra routing and springs add a lot of resonance and personality over stop tails. I have owned many CU 22s and Artist 3s with both at the same time to compare, and for me, its the trems.

IMO, for my style of playing, etc etc.

I've owned only one of each but played and handled a few and the BRW had a smoother feel in general. I never heard any differences between them, at least not behind the many other variables that were in play with these guitars. I think I have a sense that RW in general sounds a bit darker compared to either mahogany or maple but not overtly dark.

I still have an ME1 from 2005. That was a damn fine run of guitars.

If everyone's hearing was the same then we could have a serious discussion on sound, some of us buy for playability, some for looks and some for sound and the really talented people (not me) buy based on all three. I had a Brazilian board McCarty and still have a CU24 and a SC58 and I cannot tell the difference between the boards, all feel like quality build boards. I have a few Madagascar Rosewood board guitars and a Ebony LP Custom. From a a play-ability point I feel the CU24 is the best, but all round the SC58 to me is the best.

But the Thread Opener asked for opinions/suggestions/wisdom regarding BRW or IRW as neck material. Fretboard material doesn't matter.

The most magic PRSi I own have pernambuco necks. Ultra thick creamy wood tone acoustically, ultra lively and resonant. Its so pronounced a tone, its almost overkill. It's THE ultimate mid-range tone neck material IMO. There may be other magic materials, but they're probably too rare and obscure to pursue.

Easy to tell the pernambuco tone (acoustically) apart compared with anything else. Of course individual pernambuco guitars may vary - I have one that is only above average, nowhere near magic.

Chaltecoco appears to be a close cousin of pernambuco. So while I have not experienced its tone, I'm really keen to see if the similarity in genus bears out in tone.

PRS sinker mahogany appears to come close to pernambuco to my ears. In this regard, I agree with what David Grissom says in his wildwood guitars DGT private stock video in YouTube (overview video, not individual guitar videos).

I've had both chaltecoco and pernambuco at my house. I like chaltecoco a lot :)

Chaltecoco is PRSh's current favourite, as I understand it. According to his recent Reddit AMA his ideal neck on his dream guitar would be Chaltecoco + an African Blackwood fretboard.

20141026_142839.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's my IRW neck. It's the best feeling and playing neck I've ever played. Tone wise, the guitar sounds very smooth with huge, deep low end, a thick midrange, and a very subdued, yet sweet high end. The pickups are Dragon II's in this Custom 22. The neck pickup can be quite muddy when overdriven.

Back