Brazilian Rosewood Necks - Tones? (Context - For a DC 594)

Pete, it can be as easy as just making a little pencil mark. The adjustments aren’t huge but really bring the life out of it.

Yes, important to keep track of the good settings!

What I have started doing as I have embarked upon a new Amp and Cab adventure is take pictures of the settings with the iPhone, and then on my computer I make notes in an Apple Note with the picture of the settings, with the guitar and pickups used, sweet spot of the guitar volume and tone settings, and thoughts and findings. That way I can easily refer back to it from the Phone, iPad or computer, and add new settings and notes. I often have the computers and iPads handy anyway, I use them for various other guitar related stuff like the Ox Box settings and a few other things.

That will become even more important if I have different settings for different guitars, now that I have more variety with the Soapbar, Hollowbody and BRW neck versions.

Yes, important to keep track of the good settings!

What I have started doing as I have embarked upon a new Amp and Cab adventure is take pictures of the settings with the iPhone, and then on my computer I make notes in an Apple Note with the picture of the settings, with the guitar and pickups used, sweet spot of the guitar volume and tone settings, and thoughts and findings. That way I can easily refer back to it from the Phone, iPad or computer, and add new settings and notes. I often have the computers and iPads handy anyway, I use them for various other guitar related stuff like the Ox Box settings and a few other things.

That will become even more important if I have different settings for different guitars, now that I have more variety with the Soapbar, Hollowbody and BRW neck versions.
You’ve got it down! I’m using the Ox Box too. It’s awesome and really opens you up to getting the best sounds without worrying over going deaf. I’ll be following your adventures!

You’ve got it down! I’m using the Ox Box too. It’s awesome and really opens you up to getting the best sounds without worrying over going deaf. I’ll be following your adventures!

Awesome, glad to hear with regards to the Ox Box! Yes, it is very freeing to be able to get the very best sound out of the amp, and control the volume completely independently from that!

For me it has totally opened up my selection of amps, including the PRS HXDA and DG 30, two of my favorites right now.

I am not playing out right now, but I imagine another potential advantage would be being able to use the Line Out to go right into the PA, simplifying the set up at a gig, and separating stage sound and volume from the mix source...

I personally love rosewood necks. Like so many of you, not exclusively.

I will confess to having recently sold my only PRS with BRW neck. Though I have 4 others (PRSi) with rosewood necks and BRW boards. Being eclectic, I still do have three other guitars with BRW necks, two by Nik Huber, one by Scott Walker. And one "Tele" that has a solid BRW neck, board AND BODY. All of those four are longer scale, so maybe not directly comparable to a 594.
For my tastes, the rosewood (and esp BRW, it seems) neck gives more of a "hi fi" tone. I love to just listen to it ring out and sustain. I will confess to not having "played out" for the past 2 years, so I suppose there is some possibility it might not fit as well in the mix. That said, the times that I have used the "right guitar" in the 3 guitar line up I was in for a couple years, I NEVER seemed to have any issues making it fit in our mix......Judicious use of the volume and tone knobs (which I know can be a mysterious concept to a few folks I have played with over the many years!) goes a long way. As do amp settings.

And put me squarely in the camp that loves the bare wood feel.

Back