Bridge Tarnishing?

JRod4928

I got a PRS Cu24 (USA) a few months ago, and now the nickel on the bridge is tarnishing where my palm rests on it from palm muting. It's taking the 'shininess' away, and has a bluish/greyish swirl to it - hard to explain. I don't have pics at the moment. Ever since I bought it I've wiped the bridge down every time I played, but it's not helping. Infact the more I play it, the tarnishing seems to be spreading to the saddles.

I realize it's probably due to the chemical composition of my skin and sweat, but is there anything I can do to polish the guitar to get the shine back? I don't mind a guitar looking used, but I'd rather it not look used so fast.

There is a recommendation here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/care.html

The nickel hardware tarnishes more easily than chrome. I think it looks better (more traditional) and PRS believes you get a better sound with it. But the tarnish polishes out easily.

I've found that Flitz metal polish also works well for this purpose. It's a German product, but widely available.

Nickel hardware is where it's at. Chrome hardware only really looks right on $250 Chinese made guitars... no idea why Gibson USA would use it, but it's tacky.

I agree, I have "other guitars" with chrome finished pickups and parts. TOOO shiny for my tastes. The nickel patina is controllable. You can ride with a small amount to add character, or remove it all together with some metal polish designed for nickel. I prefer the warmer look of Nickel against the "look at me" of chrome. While my pieces shine and don't have that dull look, they aren't overly shiny either. Much better in my opinion.

Back