Bridge pickup for Singlecut?

boardn10

Hey guys,

My 2001 Singlecut which I beloved is not weight relieved, is about 8.1 lbs, which is similar to my weight relieved 2008 SC250. The SC is brighter acoustically and not quite as fat as my SC250 acoustically. The SC250 is naturally darker and maybe slightly deeper and warmer. The 2001 SC is a little brighter and even has some Tele like twang to the tone.
Both great, just different.
The SC250 has the stock pickups which are similar to Tremonti pickups.
The SC also has the stock pickups which are #7 pickups.
I want a hotter, darker and fatter bridge pickup for the SC.
Considering some Bare knuckle pickups, the Suhr Aldrich which I love in my LP Standard, WCR pickups and anything you guys might recommend.
I am leaning toward the Suhr Aldrich as I find it really full and warm.
There is also the Fralin High Output and Rio Grande BBQ.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

My 2001 Singlecut which I beloved is not weight relieved, is about 8.1 lbs, which is similar to my weight relieved 2008 SC250. The SC is brighter acoustically and not quite as fat as my SC250 acoustically. The SC250 is naturally darker and maybe slightly deeper and warmer. The 2001 SC is a little brighter and even has some Tele like twang to the tone.
Both great, just different.
The SC250 has the stock pickups which are similar to Tremonti pickups.
The SC also has the stock pickups which are #7 pickups.
I want a hotter, darker and fatter bridge pickup for the SC.
Considering some Bare knuckle pickups, the Suhr Aldrich which I love in my LP Standard, WCR pickups and anything you guys might recommend.
I am leaning toward the Suhr Aldrich as I find it really full and warm.
There is also the Fralin High Output and Rio Grande BBQ.
I have a Ted which is a different scale length but I am using Bare Knuckles Black Dogs which are fatter than the stock 5708's that were stock.

Jim Wagners "Goodwood" bridge pickup is a slightly overwound bridge that totally retains the PAF nice top-end but gives you more girth in the upper mids without getting muddy/mushy. IIRC he developed this one for one of the guys in Buckcherry (it's been a good while but I think I remember him talking about that when he first introduced it). I have one in the bridge position of a LP Studio and it's very versatile - whisper to a scream when needed, but always articulate.

I like #7's that are in my 2000 SC but if you're set on changing, I'd say 59/09's. I have them in a Cu24 and I really like them. They are really responsive and powerful.

I like #7's that are in my 2000 SC but if you're set on changing, I'd say 59/09's. I have them in a Cu24 and I really like them. They are really responsive and powerful.
The #7 Bridge is good but I'd prefer bigger, thicker and punchier.
Like the Tremonti treble and SC250 treble. Like the Suhr Aldrich and Motor City Afwayu. Also want to look at some BK pickups like the Rebel Yell and Holy Diver.

The #7 Bridge is good but I'd prefer bigger, thicker and punchier.
Like the Tremonti treble and SC250 treble. Like the Suhr Aldrich and Motor City Afwayu. Also want to look at some BK pickups like the Rebel Yell and Holy Diver.
Your wants look a lot like the 59/09's.

I have a 2000 SC which came with BK Rebel Yells. I wouldn't necessarily call them dark, but they are hotter and punchier. I do not see myself swapping them out.
I'd LOVE to try some 5909 as well.

Black Dogs, Godwood and Wolfetone Marshallhead are all fat versions of PAF. To my ears, Marshallhead is the fattest yet clearest of them.

Thanks,
What is the output? How about the EQ? I like darker, warmer pickups, thick, saturated with soft or round highs.
Output is in the "hot PAF" category. They are essentially slightly over wound 57/08's. They will be a little bit hotter than the stock #7's in your singlecut, just as bright and if they are fatter/thicker, it would not be by much. My experience with 59/09's is of them being an articulate, punchy hot PAF.

For what you are after: the Aldrich's and Dragon 1's will absolutely do what you are after. Another one not listed that I absolutely know will do what you are after is the Seymour Duncan El Diablo pickup.

Output is in the "hot PAF" category. They are essentially slightly over wound 57/08's. They will be a little bit hotter than the stock #7's in your singlecut, just as bright and if they are fatter/thicker, it would not be by much. My experience with 59/09's is of them being an articulate, punchy hot PAF.

For what you are after: the Aldrich's and Dragon 1's will absolutely do what you are after. Another one not listed that I absolutely know will do what you are after is the Seymour Duncan El Diablo pickup.
Wow, thanks. That El Diablo sounds amazing. AII often lacks right lows, so do you know how tight the El Diablo happens to be? I don't need ultra tight, I like more chunky.
So I am pretty much down to the Aldrich, until you mentioned the El Diablo.
I think AII pickups tend to have a more narrow sound?
We play rock, hard rock and grunge. Maybe some metal now and then.
It's also a dual blade pickup which is fine. I don't get caught up in adjusting pole pieces anyway. That said, I would need to see if I could get one gold covered to match the guitar.

I do have a PRS CE22 with Dragons and an LP Standard with an Aldrich bridge pickup.

How about a Rio Grande BBQ?

Last edited:
The El Diablo has balanced mids and warm fluid top end. Output wise, it would be similar to a Dragon 1. Low end is more warm and chunky than super tight, although it is not necessarily a sloppy pickup. In an old Singlecut it definitely sounds big, warm and chunky...and also felt really good for leads!

I have a pretty good idea what tone you are after (I think), as I was after the exact same sound back when I was in a hard rock/grunge band and tried/liked alot of the same pickups.

The El Diablo, Aldrich and Dragon 1 all sounded awesome for that type of tone in a Singlecut. The Rio Grande is another awesome pickup, but I never tried that one in my Singlecuts.

Ok cool!
I have an Aldrich, a Dragon 1 and have had many BBQ pickups but I think I prefer the Aldrich to the BBQ. I'd like this guitar to keep the covered pickups and I have a lead on a good price for a gold covered Aldrich bridge so I may go that route.
Otherwise, I coild try the El Diablo. Seems I'd love it.

This is a rather light weight singlecut at 8.1 lbs.

Thanks,
What is the output? How about the EQ? I like darker, warmer pickups, thick, saturated with soft or round highs.
That's not really the 59/09's strength. If you want warm, dark sound with softer highs, you want Seth Lover's, but they're unpotted so be ready...

Hey guys,

Changing topics...
I like the SC250 bridge pickup in my SC250. I would love to see if I could find a pickup that is similar but maybe softer on the highs and for forgiving. This one can be pretty articulate and tight. I like a little more chew.

Thanks again.
I am familiar with the Aldrich and am ordering a gold covered one.
I thought it would be cool having a different pickup in this SC since my LP Standard has one, but I know it worlds for me. Almost reminds me of a hotter BBQ.
Very warm pickup.
I don't think it has a lot of low end, now does it lack low end. It seems to allow the guitar's low end to come thru.

Guys,

Happy New Year!

Any experience with the War Pig Alnico?

I am thinking of trying a BK War Pig and Rio Grande BBQ in both my Gibson LP and PRS SC hardtail. I have an Aldrich in both these guitars.

I have a Tremonti in my SC250 and love it and a Dragon set in my CE22, and also love this set.

The Aldrich is fat as hell but softer than the Tremonti and Dragon. I don't like harsh but I have a hunch the WP or BBQ would work in one of these guitars. I used the BBQ years ago in a Les Paul and loved it.
Never tried a War Pig.

The El Diablo has balanced mids and warm fluid top end. Output wise, it would be similar to a Dragon 1. Low end is more warm and chunky than super tight, although it is not necessarily a sloppy pickup. In an old Singlecut it definitely sounds big, warm and chunky...and also felt really good for leads!

I have a pretty good idea what tone you are after (I think), as I was after the exact same sound back when I was in a hard rock/grunge band and tried/liked alot of the same pickups.

The El Diablo, Aldrich and Dragon 1 all sounded awesome for that type of tone in a Singlecut. The Rio Grande is another awesome pickup, but I never tried that one in my Singlecuts.
Thanks again, this info you provided has been so helpful. I have one of each pickup now except the El Diablo.

I'm a Seymour Duncan Antiquity fan and have Alnico 2 Antiquitys in two of my three Singlecuts and both of my Custom 22's.

Last edited:
Back