Brand new SE 245 Standard, a few questions arise.

Steelgrave

Hey all,

I'm a new PRS owner, and I've noticed some things that I'm curious/concerned about with my new (and first) SE 245 Standard, and maybe you can answer my questions.

First, most concerning, question:

I've noticed that the pickups are a little "loose" in their well/saddle/whatever it's called. What I mean is they jiggle (seesaw) in their mounts a bit with a little finger pressure, especially the neck pickup (the bridge pickup has less "give"). Certainly more than I'm used to with my Ibanez (which jiggles a bit) and my Fender (which jiggles not at all). Is this a problem or manufacturing defect or is that just common to PRS guitars?

They don't rattle around on their own or try to fall out or buck up against the strings at all, they just move and tilt more when touched than I've ever experienced on a guitar,

The guitar sounds great, and plays well (even if the 9's on it are a bit more noodly than I'm used to, especially in drop D), and is gorgeous and the pickups work perfectly (though the neck pickup does seem a bit more muted than the bridge pickup, is that odd?)

I'm worried about the pickups, I don't want to find out months later that they were supposed to be mounted firmly, and I somehow got a defective build.

What can you tell me?

Next, less worrisome, question:

Anyone have any trouble putting 10's on their SE 245? Thinking about switching to 10's since I play more drop D and Eb Drop Db than anything and the factory 9's feel a bit loose for that. I'm not a technical hobbyist, so I don't customize and tweak my guitars. I play for fun and relaxation, and I've heard people talk about tweaking the nut when moving to higher gauge strings. That's something I hope to avoid for now. I just got the guitar and personally prefer to avoid any modifying for the moment?

So what do you know?

Is this something I'll have to bite the bullet on or does the SE 245 Standard take 10's without issue or alteration?

(I'll post some pictures of her sometime)

The pickups are held in the pickup ring with two screws and a spring. Because the screws are in the middle at either side you'll get a bit of tilt if you touch them. It's not an issue.

You can do two things if it bothers you: Put some foam under the pups in the cavity or buy some new springs and experiment to see if any firm things up. My pups are covered which helps stop them tilting as much but I've also got a little foam in the cavities.

To switch to 10's you'll likely need the slots widening or the strings will bind in the nut. A competent tech can do that quickly and cheaply. Some SE's come with 10's stock such as the Bernie Marsden but most come stock with 9's including the 245 and as such will only be cut for 9's.

Look forward to,your pics and welcome aboard!

Oh... It depends on what you men by muted.

The neck pup will always be a bit darker and perhaps fuller sounding than the bridge pickup.

You cN experiment with changing the height of the pickups to see if that alters anything.

The pickups are held in the pickup ring with two screws and a spring. Because the screws are in the middle at either side you'll get a bit of tilt if you touch them. It's not an issue.

You can do two things if it bothers you: Put some foam under the pups in the cavity or buy some new springs and experiment to see if any firm things up. My pups are covered which helps stop them tilting as much but I've also got a little foam in the cavities.

To switch to 10's you'll likely need the slots widening or the strings will bind in the nut. A competent tech can do that quickly and cheaply. Some SE's come with 10's stock such as the Bernie Marsden but most come stock with 9's including the 245 and as such will only be cut for 9's.

Look forward to,your pics and welcome aboard!

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback, that helps me breathe easier.

I wonder, do they make covers for the SE 245 line? Are they easy to come buy and install if they do?

I've always rather liked covered pickups.

Also, is it common for the stock neck pickup to be a bit more muted than the bridge pickup?

(yeah I'm a nervous new owner, it's my first new guitar in a decade or two, and my first PRS)

Oh... It depends on what you men by muted.

The neck pup will always be a bit darker and perhaps fuller sounding than the bridge pickup.

You cN experiment with changing the height of the pickups to see if that alters anything.

I mean its volume seems a bit lower (and yeah tonally darker, but I expected that).

If there's a volume difference when switching pickups, you can raise or lower them to get them closer volume-wise

Wouldn't even begin to know how to do that.

I'm not particularly technical where guitars are concerned :dontknow:

But it's good to know that can be done. It's not particularly noticeable on my amp anyway, more of a curiosity. I play at the bridge pickup more than anything anyway.

Thanks though fellas, you're super and helping me feel comfortable with the new girl. Glad to be a PRS owner and part of a friendly, helpful community!

But it's good to know that can be done. It's not particularly noticeable on my amp anyway, more of a curiosity. I play at the bridge pickup more than anything anyway.

Thanks though fellas, you're super and helping me feel comfortable with the new girl. Glad to be a PRS owner and part of a friendly, helpful community!

If you see the screws on either side of the pickup, you can tighten them (turn clockwise) to raise the pickups or loosen them (counter-clockwise) to lower. If you feel like experimenting, you can either raise the quieter pickup or lower the louder pickup to try to even out the volume.

Also, welcome to the forum! We're happy to help a fellow member!

Neither am I, but you can do this one!

Just get a small phillips screwdriver and turn the screws on the pickup rings in the middle of the bass&treble sides (not the 4 corners). Don't go crazy or they might fall off the springs. But small tweaks will do a lot for volume&tone.

As far as moving to 10's... The guitar most likely could benefit from a setup now as it is. When you have it set up just have them set it up for 10's. It shouldn't cost much extra if any. 10's are good on the 24.5" scale for sure. The setup would also include adjusting the electronics for balance and such if it is an up and up place that you take it to. Just be sure to specify everything you want done.

I don't know why three screw pup mounting isn't standard now on all pups, it would make sense. My HSS Strat humbucker is rock solid due to three screws!! (and the fact it all mounts on the pick guard)

You'll need to widen the nut for 10s. Mine (both the se245 and se santana) bound with the stock 9s without oodles of lube in the nut. (To be fair graphite from a pencil worked for this.) I just replaced the nut with a graphtech nut for $12 plus the cost of a drop of super glue.

You can buy covers for your pickups but they will change the sound. Good or bad I don't know.

As to adjusting the pickup height. Get a ruler or other measuring tool. Fret at the last fret and measure the height to the pickups at both E strings. Write that down. Now adjust away. You can always go back to the measured numbers.

I missed where you are. Opening nut slots is simple. I have a set of S-Mc two-size per file nut files I could mail to you. It is very easy to open the slots enough for a "10" set. I occasionally loan them-- I keep a double set of gauged files for my shop.

The only risk you have raising and lowering pickups is counter clockwise too far and then only a PIA- the screw comes out of the threaded bracket near bottom of cavity. Then you have to remove the plastic mounting rectangle ( called "rings) reinsert screw w/ spring while cussing.

Metal covers have a dab of solder holding them on, on any humbucker (2-coil) I have worked on -- Gibsons. That is the trickiest thing you asked about.

I am far east side of Iowa. On the River.

Great advice all! Thanks. I have a couple local shops I can take it to for a fresh set up, and know a professional (family tradition) guitar-smith I can hire for any "serious business". I was just chatting with another PRS owner at one of the shops about the strings and keys he plays in, and he told me his preferred strings (he tends to gig in drop D or lower, which is where most of the music I play is set), so I know what I'll use when I get it done.

Great advice all! Thanks. I have a couple local shops I can take it to for a fresh set up, and know a professional (family tradition) guitar-smith I can hire for any "serious business". I was just chatting with another PRS owner at one of the shops about the strings and keys he plays in, and he told me his preferred strings (he tends to gig in drop D or lower, which is where most of the music I play is set), so I know what I'll use when I get it done.
I play primarily in drop C# and drop C. For those tunings, I usually use a D'addario hybrid set, 11-52. And for drop D I usually use 11-49s. You may not like strings that heavy gauge but they work very well for me, but you can experiment and figure out what works for you.

I play primarily in drop C# and drop C. For those tunings, I usually use a D'addario hybrid set, 11-52. And for drop D I usually use 11-49s. You may not like strings that heavy gauge but they work very well for me, but you can experiment and figure out what works for you.

These are the ones one of my local guys recommended, thinking of giving them a try:

1421886567sthb.jpg

Do you tune that low on a 245? I was thinking of changing my 245 to my down tuned guitar and putting the STHB strings on it. Just wondering how the overall feel of it is and any intonation issues?

Do you tune that low on a 245? I was thinking of changing my 245 to my down tuned guitar and putting the STHB strings on it. Just wondering how the overall feel of it is and any intonation issues?
I don't currently, but I used to have a 245 and would go as low a drop c on 11-52. lower than that and I would go higher gauge

These are the ones one of my local guys recommended, thinking of giving them a try:

1421886567sthb.jpg

While those strings will probably work well for drop tunings, I think you'll have intonation issues with the bridge in your SE 245 Standard. The PRS fixed bridge works great for typical string gauges but hybrid sets like this can have issues. If you use 10-46 or 11-49, you won't have any problem with the bridge.

Pickup height makes all the difference -- I had a new pickup mounted in one of mine, and the tech got it just right (it was a Benedetto, and I was looking for that electro-acoustic sound), and when I put it back, I hadn't been paying attention, so probably didn't put it back the same, and now I've lost the magical tone.

DEFINITELY experiment with pickup height. Even a non-techy guy like me can do it, so you can too!

Back