Brand new SE 245 Standard, a few questions arise.

While those strings will probably work well for drop tunings, I think you'll have intonation issues with the bridge in your SE 245 Standard. The PRS fixed bridge works great for typical string gauges but hybrid sets like this can have issues. If you use 10-46 or 11-49, you won't have any problem with the bridge.
I use these in standard/drop d with the standard stoptail and it works fine. If you were recording an album and doubling tracks, you might have small issues. Have to intonate to standard with that bridge though, not the dropped D string otherwise you risk having everything a little out.

While those strings will probably work well for drop tunings, I think you'll have intonation issues with the bridge in your SE 245 Standard. The PRS fixed bridge works great for typical string gauges but hybrid sets like this can have issues. If you use 10-46 or 11-49, you won't have any problem with the bridge.

Yeah, I went ahead and had a tech do a setup and restring with those 10/52's yesterday and she plays pretty fine, a bit of string buzz here and there, but that seems to be pretty common. Playing today though, i can tell those string are a bit heavy for my fret hand, a workout for sure. Who knows? I might grow accustomed to them.

Though I think the next time I get it strung I might do these instead:

1316172885P02221.png

I think it'll strike the happy middle-ground I'm looking for.

Here's a question for you all though, since I had him file the nut to accommodate the 10/52's, will it introduce any problems if I have it restrung for 10/46's? I.e. will the now wider nut slots cause problems using the thinner strings?

The tech says no, but I like to have multiple opinions and voices of experience before I act.

Yeah, I went ahead and had a tech do a setup and restring with those 10/52's yesterday and she plays pretty fine, a bit of string buzz here and there, but that seems to be pretty common. Playing today though, i can tell those string are a bit heavy for my fret hand, a workout for sure. Who knows? I might grow accustomed to them.

Though I think the next time I get it strung I might do these instead:

1316172885P02221.png

I think it'll strike the happy middle-ground I'm looking for.

Here's a question for you all though, since I had him file the nut to accommodate the 10/52's, will it introduce any problems if I have it restrung for 10/46's? I.e. will the now wider nut slots cause problems using the thinner strings?

The tech says no, but I like to have multiple opinions and voices of experience before I act.
Nah. As long as he did it correctly with the proper tools, you shouldn't have a problem going to a lighter gauge in the future

Nah. As long as he did it correctly with the proper tools, you shouldn't have a problem going to a lighter gauge in the future

Yeah he used professional guitar files to do the work. I watched him do everything, and he certainly knows his trade.

Cool, probably will go to those strings next time around. Meanwhile, the heavier strings are a good workout for my fret hand.

Back