Black locking tuners for SEs

GoBeavs68

Unfortunately my favorite locking tuner from Schaller does not come in black. Does anyone know of a locking tuner that comes in black that fits an SE? I keep running into 6 in-line in th black.

If not, does anyone have good things to say about MannMade tuners conversions?

IMG_2216_zps9xt7jyv5.jpg

Grover 406 locking tuners come in black and they're a direct drop in.
I also have John mann's conversion on a set and they're comparable to phase II tuners from PRS

I know this is a vintage post... but it's probably worth mentioning that the PRS SE Locking tuners are amazing.
It took seven minutes to swap the tuners out and nine minutes to restring the guitar. The tuning locks right in (literally, even).
Something I've noted since I started using them - my tendency when tuning a guitar is to go a little flat and tune up to the pitch... with these tuners (and, as a result, how you string the guitar), you can just correct straight to pitch and be done because you're not dealing with the physics of wraps of string going around the peg. I still go flat and tune up out of habit, but the control is really, really precise.
The tuners themselves have a very "tight" feel compared to the regular tuners... both as in physically "tighter" when turning and as in a lower (or higher, depending on how you look at it) ratio, though they are listed as 18:1 - same as the standard tuners.
It's probably just a psychological thing ("change=change in all things concerning"), but I feel like you get more bang for your tuning buck. lol

A note:
I'm also having a rather difficult time finding the SE Locking Tuners in anything other than chrome.
I'd like to put them on my Lowery and Holcomb guitars today, but their hardware is black chrome... and I love the black chrome... :(

A note:
I'm also having a rather difficult time finding the SE Locking Tuners in anything other than chrome.
I'd like to put them on my Lowery and Holcomb guitars today, but their hardware is black chrome... and I love the black chrome... :(
Hip shot makes some black ones that will fit. A bunch of guys used Hipsot on their SEs before there were SE lockers available

A note:

I've used Wilkinson EZ-LOK WJ-01 tuners on a few of my se's in the past and currently on my Chris Robertson. Their a direct fit and available in chrome, nickel, gold & black. They are super simple to use and fantastic for maintaining the look of non locking heads and don't add any extra weight.

51272203594_88c3e5396c_c.jpg
51271647783_402c5a92df_c.jpg

Their also cheap enough that I could get two sets for about the same price as Gotoh's and creative my own hybrid set's
51223450904_3c07a95b04_c.jpg
51221973322_d5f6857d1e_b.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111169840070?hash=item19e23d23c6:g:JboAAMXQigBSNIzd

Last edited:
I love Goth mag locks. I think the older I get the lazier I get with string changes. I love tgat thumbwheel mechanism.

Back