BKP mule vs PRS 5708 5909 or 8515

mrk691

I have a custom 22 which I bought used loaded with covered BKP Mule pickups.
Any experience on how it compares to PRS 5708 or 5909 pickups?
I really like the Mule but something with more power/thickness in the bridge and clearer neck would be nice.

I haven't tried a C22 with the Mule, but I did replace the 57/08's in my HBii with covered Mules and found them to be very clear.
The balance in my HBii seemed way off before the swap - to bassy in the neck, to thin in the bridge.
(I love the 57/08's in both my SC245 and also my Les Paul)

I think the 5909 is going to give you more power, but I'm not sure it would give you clarity in the neck.

Played a friend's Les Paul with mules in them. While I'm no expert in mules, I found them to be sort of similar to the 57/08 with slightly more balance as what Callen said. Great for old school rock or blues but not the higher gain stuff as I felt it lacked that dynamic punch.

57/08 VS 59/09
I used to have my Custom 22 with 57/08. While they were good, they lacked that bite or growl with gain on. Swapped them out for the 59/09 and absolutely love them.
The 59/09 was perfect for me as it takes the higher gain stuff with great bite, clarity and sustain. Sort of like an overwound PAF. These pickups have this snappy bite to them which I really do adore.

But I have found the neck pickup on cleans to be a touch too sparkly sometimes. I usually roll back the volume a bit to get it nice and warm.
I guess it all depends on what kind of music you play but I think the 59/09 are one of the best pickups out there.

Last edited:
I had an SC246 with Mules (traded it away a few months ago) and I thought it’s exactly what the best LP style guitar should sound like on the neck pickup. I never really cared for the bridge, like above I felt it lacked a little dynamic.

I have a Singlecut trem with 58/15 LTs and I like those way more than the Mules. I also have a 57/08 neck with 59/09 bridge combo in my Custom 24 and that is a fantastic combo!

85/15 is much more of a modern sounding pickup. It’s a great one, but I wouldn’t really compare it to the others personally.

I just bought a pair of BKP Abraxas that I’m putting into another as-of-yet-unpurchased 594. Gotta have vision.

I put a BKP Mule in the neck and a BKP Riff Raff in the bridge of a Tremonti recently. The Mule is a sensational pickup that splits like a charm with the right resistor tap, and the Riff Raff breathes just a bit more fire.

I’ve never played a 59/09, and I’m thinking that needs to change.

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of BKP Abraxas that I’m putting into another as-of-yet-unpurchased 594. Gotta have vision.

I put a BKP Mule in the neck and a BKP Riff Raff in the bridge of a Tremonti recently. The Mule is a sensational pickup that splits like a charm with the right resistor tap, and the Riff Raff breathes just a bit more fire.

I’ve never played a 59/09, and I’m thinking that needs to change.

I had that Mule / RR combo and it was great! I swapped the RR for a mule bridge. Still good but less output.

definitely do an uncovered 59/09 in the bridge.

A bridge 59/09 in my CU24 is, arguably, the best pickup I’ve had in that guitar. No Mules ever, but 57/08s, HFS, Burstbuckers, and a bunch of Dimarzio and Duncan models. It likes that thickness guitar. Well worth you experimenting with one, IMO.

I have a custom 22 which I bought used loaded with covered BKP Mule pickups.
Any experience on how it compares to PRS 5708 or 5909 pickups?
I really like the Mule but something with more power/thickness in the bridge and clearer neck would be nice.

If you decide to move that neck Mule, hit me up.

Back