Best years for PRS guitars?

Can't really trust any review in Guitar Player, Guitar World or any of the others either. They can't give an honest review or the company making the product will refrain from advertising with them.

I like Pete's reviews.

Phil's I'll watch, but with some skepticism.
That is where Phil wins for me in that category. He will spend his own money and buy an item and give it an honest review. He has also damaged relationships with some companies because he will only do honest reviews. He tells everyone that sends him gear to review to not send it unless they are okay with his honest opinion on it. He isn't going to just give a glowing review of everything. Pete on the other hand, I am not sure I have ever heard him say anything critical about a piece of gear in a video.

That is where Phil wins for me in that category. He will spend his own money and buy an item and give it an honest review. He has also damaged relationships with some companies because he will only do honest reviews. He tells everyone that sends him gear to review to not send it unless they are okay with his honest opinion on it. He isn't going to just give a glowing review of everything. Pete on the other hand, I am not sure I have ever heard him say anything critical about a piece of gear in a video.

Sorry, but that’s a different Phil McKnight than I’ve watched. His bread and butter seems to be doing reviews on low-end, no-name crap. He talks about things in very positive terms—always coded with “for what it is.”

Phil shills with the best of them. To find any real, legit guitar reviews you have to dig deep to when YT was not as formulaic as it is now. You’ll find regular guys making crappy, low-production reviews which are much more informative than today’s infomercials. There aren’t any monetized gear reviews that are worth the time. They’re all bullet-point press-releases. Total waste of time and completely lacking in credibility.

Phil also seems to have this cult following amongst people who don’t have he experience to know when he’s full of it. He’s playing to his demo by doing all of the low-end stuff.

Sorry, but that’s a different Phil McKnight than I’ve watched. His bread and butter seems to be doing reviews on low-end, no-name crap. He talks about things in very positive terms—always coded with “for what it is.”

Phil shills with the best of them. To find any real, legit guitar reviews you have to dig deep to when YT was not as formulaic as it is now. You’ll find regular guys making crappy, low-production reviews which are much more informative than today’s infomercials. There aren’t any monetized gear reviews that are worth the time. They’re all bullet-point press-releases. Total waste of time and completely lacking in credibility.

Phil also seems to have this cult following amongst people who don’t have he experience to know when he’s full of it. He’s playing to his demo by doing all of the low-end stuff.
He does seem to demo a fair amount of low end stuff. I have definitely heard the "for what it is" phrase. I take that as he knows it is cheap gear and within the cheap line this is how it compares. It would kind of be unfair to compare it to high end American made gear.

I also see value in the crappy low production videos. I usually look for those when I am considering buying an OD pedal. I look for the videos where people don't necessarily know how to dial them in. That is where you get to hear the negative aspects of the pedal. Those folks are not spending the time or the money to perfectly match guitar, pedal, amp and cab for the best sound. To me those videos are very telling.

I don't consider myself part of Phil's cult but I do play his videos weekly while working. I think I have enough experience to know when he is saying something that isn't true, at least with the things I have experience with. I don't hear enough wrong things coming out of him to garner the flack he gets online.

I don't know that person.
He's not a person; he is a state of mind. Just like Phil, only worst x10. He talks about topics he can barely understand, multiplies myths; he sees the only truth and "exposes" corporations with unbiased reviews. Has his fanbase too

Hmmm, Phil and Pete. I used to watch Phil a lot when I was looking for guitars and amps, and occasionally pedals. I am his target audience, or at least was. I'm a new player, and I was looking into cheaper guitars, etc when I started buying things. I've kind of settled on a couple of nice things, rather than a string of cheap things. Phil's an OK player (way better than I am, but not a pro player of course.). It seems like he has some good insight into the industry. He makes his living from Youtube. Caveat Emptor. I watch Pete quite a bit. He just seems like a guy comfortable in his skin. I love his playing, his style and tone are right out of my coming of age to early adulthood years. He is often criticized for making everything sound good. I think this is his experience and talent more than anything. I conjecture, with no evidence whatsoever, that Pete may choose not to review something he thinks stinks, hence the multitude of positive reviews. One can kind of tell when he thinks something is closer to stink than wonderful though. Promoting Suhr? Well, of course! And... Pete makes at least some of his income from YouTube, so Caveat Emptor again.

Seems like this is a touchy subject, so adding that this is just my random opinion, no horse in race or anything.

He's not a person; he is a state of mind. Just like Phil, only worst x10. He talks about topics he can barely understand, multiplies myths; he sees the only truth and "exposes" corporations with unbiased reviews. Has his fanbase too

Haha, he calls himself a guitar builder, because he bolts a neck on a guitar.

Lol. This thread is funny.

I'll give my personal "best" PRS years:

2007-2016 for the Core line

2014-2018 for the S2 line

2020-present for the SE line
Yeah it is!

From my extremely limited experience,
I concur on the SE, ‘cause mine was a 2020 and nice.

2021 for the S2 line, ‘cause that’s what’s on the headstock of mine, and it’s nice.

2003 for core ‘cause that’s what’s on the headstock of my Santana III and it’s nice.

I’m pretty sure the above does not represent a statistically significant sample.

There are three that come to mind.

2006. Why? It is the year that PRS started putting the double dot on the 12th fret side marker. This is a deal breaker for me and the reason I don't own any PRS guitars older than 2006. It is also the first year that they put a 5 way blade switch on the SAS. That was a big improvement IMHO and the year mine is.

2007. Why? That is the year they introduced the DGT.

2016. Why? That is the year they introduced the McCarty 594.

I think this is an interesting discussion subject, although I think anyone on this forum could have written the article much better. That paragraph about "glued-in" vs "glued-on" makes no sense at all. The one thing the article gets right is that there is no consensus on the "best years" - it is really a matter of personal preference on the specs. There is no Norlin or CBS-era at PRS, likely due to the fact that there has never been a management change at the top and no change in the company's direction other than constant improvement. This is reflected in the fact that, other than the really early models, there isn't a real price bump in the pre-Stevensville models out there, the new ones are just as sought after. One point that was raised by dogrocketp that is very true is improvements in consistency. This comes from maturity and experience in construction methods over the years - let the machines and the people work where they do best. For this reason I would not hesitate to buy a brand new PRS on-line, sight unseen.

Hmmm, Phil and Pete. I used to watch Phil a lot when I was looking for guitars and amps, and occasionally pedals. I am his target audience, or at least was. I'm a new player, and I was looking into cheaper guitars, etc when I started buying things. I've kind of settled on a couple of nice things, rather than a string of cheap things. Phil's an OK player (way better than I am, but not a pro player of course.). It seems like he has some good insight into the industry. He makes his living from Youtube. Caveat Emptor. I watch Pete quite a bit. He just seems like a guy comfortable in his skin. I love his playing, his style and tone are right out of my coming of age to early adulthood years. He is often criticized for making everything sound good. I think this is his experience and talent more than anything. I conjecture, with no evidence whatsoever, that Pete may choose not to review something he thinks stinks, hence the multitude of positive reviews. One can kind of tell when he thinks something is closer to stink than wonderful though. Promoting Suhr? Well, of course! And... Pete makes at least some of his income from YouTube, so Caveat Emptor again.

Seems like this is a touchy subject, so adding that this is just my random opinion, no horse in race or anything.
I bought my Tascam Model 12 Mixer/Recorder/DAW interface because I liked the demo Pete did. It's perfect for my needs and the center of my bedroom size recording studio. I can use it as a stand alone mixer/recorder and download a project to a SD card. Or I can link the mixer to my computer and a DAW like Audacity or Reaper.

If I'm researching a piece of gear and Pete has a demo of it I always watch it. It's usually the best demo with the best tone and with the details I want to know.

The other guy I like sometimes is John Bollinger for Vintage Guitar. He's the least critical and most enthusiastic of any product because he works for Vintage Guitar. But his demos are well done and you can hear clearly and decide for yourself whether a guitar or amp or pedal might be worth looking into.

He did a comparison of his old PRS DGT to the new DGT SE and I could clearly hear a difference and liked his old one much better. I liked the SE too...until John brought out his old one!

John was careful but implied that they were to close for him to hear a difference.

But listening, I knew that if I ever lucked into a DGT it would be the made in the USA Core model.

Last edited:
Why does Phil get so much hate? I watch his weekly shows and he presents things in a very neutral manner. He gives good advice on setting up and maintaining guitars. He knows the market from being a shop owner for a number of years. I just don't see why people bag on him so much. Is it jealousy because he has a successful YouTube channel?
I love Philip McKnight!
...and I spent a lot of money on guitars because of him. hahahaha

Back