Best Rock Riff ... Like Ever.

"Money For Nothing" ... Nothing to say, it just is.

So, to improve my disposition, someone recommended meditation.
But I need a Mantra.

Thx to Mark Knopfler I have a candidate ... very true for the seventies and eighties.
"Money For Nothing and Your Chicks For Free". Those were the days.

Another candidate ... "You Don't Have To Call Me Mister, Mister, the Whole World Calls Me Hank".

Last edited:
One of my faves when it came out, and I agree, a fantastic riff.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my faves when it came out, and I agree, a fantastic riff.

Yes, deceptively simple until you try to play it and get it right. And I shouldn't say this, but it was a LP.

I can't do squat without a pick, which unfortunately means I'd hack at any Knopfler song. The dude is crazy good though. I agree with Wish that the riff is as good as a riff gets. Probably overshadows Knopfler's real talent.

Yeah, it's a Les Paul, but I'll bet that he'd make an SC-58 sound just as sweet...

I remember "figuring out" that riff (with the help of my guitar teacher of course) in high school. I think that was the first time I ever rolled back my tone knob. Now I have to go spend an hour trying to re-figure it out...

I agree and would like to add that all his playing on" Sultans Of Swing" even though not a riff really....2nd place for me is "Layla"...that opening riff still rocks...

I grew up on a steady diet of the soundtrack to Cal.

But yeah, this riff has the attitude.

I can't do squat without a pick, which unfortunately means I'd hack at any Knopfler song. The dude is crazy good though. I agree with Wish that the riff is as good as a riff gets. Probably overshadows Knopfler's real talent.

Yeah, it's a Les Paul, but I'll bet that he'd make an SC-58 sound just as sweet...

This is probably my favorite all time guitar song! Give me chills to listen to it.

Thumbs up for this one. One of my all time favorites!!

Man I got goose bumps watching that - Sooooo much emotion.

Great riff, but to call it the "best rock riff ever"...that's open to debate.

I would have to say... Sunshine of your love by Cream *There are way to many but that riff comes to mind first.....

Like the two i heard.great riff by cream,lets not forget money by Floyd.there are just to many awsome riffs.

God, that Burst sounds amazing. That's one of the "woodiest" tones I ever heard. Bravo!

Hmm... My picks would be Rick Derringer's "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" and The Nuge's "Stranglehold" - really simple riff, but man is it awesome!

There's no way I could pick just one. Ten doesn't even scratch the surface.

1. Whole Lotta Love
2. Layla
3. You Really Got Me
4. Sunshine of Your Love
5. Paranoid
6. Crazy Train
7. Back in Black
8. Day Tripper
9. Pretty Woman
10. Satisfaction

Back