Best "grab-and-go" PRS combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by shinksma, Oct 1, 2019.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Back to the original question posed by the OP for a moment, it would be whatever gives me “my tone” in a smaller package. In my case, that would be the HXDA head, with a 112 pine cab (of which I had one previously). The pine cabs are very light. The HXDA isn’t very light, but to compensate, it sounds very good and isn’t too terribly heavy.

I suppose I could get a satisfactory result with the DG and a pine 112, or any open back 112, if I couldn’t find a pine one.

I guess my point would be that ‘grab and go’ could encompass a lot of different concepts. Maybe? Then again, I prefer making a second trip to the car to being disappointed with my sound.

2. watelessness

watelessness New Member

The Archon 25 is worth trying. Great cleans, crunch, power, but not quite as metally as the 100. I dont think you'd find an MT-15 as versatile as you'd want for an open mic night

3. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

I bought the head and cab covers for my 100W Archon set, and never use them, because I don't gig with them. They are nice covers though, with good padding.

I think I'm going to gig occasionally with the Archon 25W, and if I do so on a more regular basis, I'd probably want the cover.

If I wait a few gigs before deciding, am I in any measurable danger of damaging the tolex? It's the regular black stuff. I suppose I could use a blanket to cover it while being transported in my vehicle, so it doesn't rub up against the other equipment.

I gigged or lugged around my Fender HRDX a fair bit, sometimes with the cover, sometimes without, and did not seem to suffer any consequences.

My Fishman Loudbox Mini on the other hand looks like a wolverine got to it. But they (the Loudboxes) are notorious for thin/fragile tolex. That's why I got a cover for the Artist version I just bought.

4. shinksma

The Archon 25W combo arrived today at work just before lunch. Since I was going home at lunch to walk the dogs, the timing was perfect.

Sound is very much like the 100W head + cab version. A little more open (duh), but still nice and djenty on the lead channel. Controls are arranged differently from the 100W head, so that threw me for a curve at first, reaching for the wrong knobs to twist.

Nice and loud - the 25W setting is noticeably louder than the Sweet 16 at full tilt that was right beside it. Even the 12W setting might have had a bit more oomph to it. Much tighter sound vs the SWeet 16 too, clean channel vs the Sweet 16 at 1/3 Gain, say. Sweet 16 is a great amp, but not a metal/djenty amp, per se.

Build date is 1/2015, so in theory should have the effects loop noise issue corrected.

I won't post a photo - it looks like all the other black Archon 25W combo units.

I will play with it more tonight - was just a quick run through at lunch.

5. shinksma

Indeed, dead quite with the "small" 100% Boss pedal board I plugged into it. I compared to my 100W Archon, which was built before the noise fix (and not yet fixed), and there was a low hum present with that amp. Better than when I plug in other pedal boards, so as I suspected a while back, pedal impedance is probably a big factor.

6. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

Speaker change?

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  7. John

John https://deathbenotproud.bandcamp.com

Already covered that in a previous post.