Best "grab-and-go" PRS combo amp?

Back to the original question posed by the OP for a moment, it would be whatever gives me “my tone” in a smaller package. In my case, that would be the HXDA head, with a 112 pine cab (of which I had one previously). The pine cabs are very light. The HXDA isn’t very light, but to compensate, it sounds very good and isn’t too terribly heavy.

I suppose I could get a satisfactory result with the DG and a pine 112, or any open back 112, if I couldn’t find a pine one.

I guess my point would be that ‘grab and go’ could encompass a lot of different concepts. Maybe? Then again, I prefer making a second trip to the car to being disappointed with my sound.

The Archon 25 is worth trying. Great cleans, crunch, power, but not quite as metally as the 100. I dont think you'd find an MT-15 as versatile as you'd want for an open mic night

I bought the head and cab covers for my 100W Archon set, and never use them, because I don't gig with them. They are nice covers though, with good padding.

I think I'm going to gig occasionally with the Archon 25W, and if I do so on a more regular basis, I'd probably want the cover.

If I wait a few gigs before deciding, am I in any measurable danger of damaging the tolex? It's the regular black stuff. I suppose I could use a blanket to cover it while being transported in my vehicle, so it doesn't rub up against the other equipment.

I gigged or lugged around my Fender HRDX a fair bit, sometimes with the cover, sometimes without, and did not seem to suffer any consequences.

My Fishman Loudbox Mini on the other hand looks like a wolverine got to it. But they (the Loudboxes) are notorious for thin/fragile tolex. That's why I got a cover for the Artist version I just bought.

The Archon 25W combo arrived today at work just before lunch. Since I was going home at lunch to walk the dogs, the timing was perfect.

Sound is very much like the 100W head + cab version. A little more open (duh), but still nice and djenty on the lead channel. Controls are arranged differently from the 100W head, so that threw me for a curve at first, reaching for the wrong knobs to twist.

Nice and loud - the 25W setting is noticeably louder than the Sweet 16 at full tilt that was right beside it. Even the 12W setting might have had a bit more oomph to it. Much tighter sound vs the SWeet 16 too, clean channel vs the Sweet 16 at 1/3 Gain, say. Sweet 16 is a great amp, but not a metal/djenty amp, per se.

Build date is 1/2015, so in theory should have the effects loop noise issue corrected.

I won't post a photo - it looks like all the other black Archon 25W combo units.

I will play with it more tonight - was just a quick run through at lunch.

Build date is 1/2015, so in theory should have the effects loop noise issue corrected.
Indeed, dead quite with the "small" 100% Boss pedal board I plugged into it. I compared to my 100W Archon, which was built before the noise fix (and not yet fixed), and there was a low hum present with that amp. Better than when I plug in other pedal boards, so as I suspected a while back, pedal impedance is probably a big factor.

Back