Best "grab-and-go" PRS combo amp?

But to be honest, the Loudbox Artist with the pedal board config I have now is "close enough" to what I was looking for in a rock/metal/crunch sound, while still fully supporting the acoustic tones I need. At least for today. Who knows what the weekend will bring?
I've always gone the opposite route and chosen compromise on the acoustic tone with a guitar amp, rather than trying to make an acoustic amp or PA sound like an electric guitar. That all changes now though, with a good modeler. If I need acoustic and electric, the only thing I consider is the Atomic AA3 or 12, and a powered monitor. I'm not sure how flat your Fishman is, but that would be a good route to consider if it's relatively flat.

Oh, I know all about lugging lots of equipment. We also run a sound production company that can support up to three different stages of "folk-rock" sound (one with double mains, two with a single pair of mains each, typically). (We don't use subwoofers - the venues and styles generally don't lend themselves to it.) 8 to 10 mains speakers, 8 to 10 monitors, about 24 mike stands, 16 DI boxes, three mixing boards, and probably miles of cabling...

A 17 lb Fender Mustang (or whatever) is exactly what I had in mind when I said "grab'n'go". I have a great 100W Archon head and cab. In theory I can move them with my two hands. But they will stay ensconced in my upstairs music room, probably never to be gigged.

The Loudbox Artist I have just transitioned to is 25 lbs. That is the weight class I'd find suitable. The Archon 25W Combo at 42lbs is the same weight as my Fender HRDX, and that is about the limit of what I'd call grab'n'go.

I don't need tons of power, which is why the 25W Archon is in play.

But to be honest, the Loudbox Artist with the pedal board config I have now is "close enough" to what I was looking for in a rock/metal/crunch sound, while still fully supporting the acoustic tones I need. At least for today. Who knows what the weekend will bring?

I've got an Atomic Amplifire 12 I'll sell you, cheap. You can put it in your backpack.

I've got an Atomic Amplifire 12 I'll sell you, cheap. You can put it in your backpack.
Hmm, let me ponder. I still have a guitar due "soon" (ordered last August), and I think I have to get a new mobile phone - the battery keeps dying, and apps don't update due to old OS. It is 4 years old, and been rode hard and put up wet, as it were.

Hmm, let me ponder. I still have a guitar due "soon" (ordered last August), and I think I have to get a new mobile phone - the battery keeps dying, and apps don't update due to old OS. It is 4 years old, and been rode hard and put up wet, as it were.

Hit me up whenever, if you want. Be about 1/3 of what you'd pay for a new phone.

If the Archon combos weren't offered with G12T-75 speakers, that would've been my vote.

If the Archon combos weren't offered with G12T-75 speakers, that would've been my vote.
Easy swap, but I agree. First Archon I played was a 25 watt combo, and I was ready to be blown away and wasn’t. Still wish I had bought that amp and swapped a few speakers through it.

Dang!

So, does the Kemper sound that much better than the AA12?

Yeah, it does. At least to my ears. I’m not sure how to describe it. Maybe along the lines of a “modeled” amp versus a “profile” of an actual amp. I know they are both digital, but it’s like one is ALL digital and the other starts organically and is morphed to digital.

I should also add that for the money, nothing beats the AA-12. The Kemper is certainly more than I'll ever need. I could have been perfectly happy using the AA-12.

Last edited:
Yeah, it does. At least to my ears. I’m not sure how to describe it. Maybe along the lines of a “modeled” amp versus a “profile” of an actual amp. I know they are both digital, but it’s like one is ALL digital and the other starts organically and is morphed to digital.

I should also add that for the money, nothing beats the AA-12. The Kemper is certainly more than I'll ever need. I could have been perfectly happy using the AA-12.
Not gonna lie, the Kemper is incredible. It's all a cover band guy like me will ever need. I'm sure the AA-12 would work for me too, but I've never had a chance to A/B it, or a Helix, or Headrush. I bet a BluGuitar AMP1 would be awesome too!

Easy swap, but I agree. First Archon I played was a 25 watt combo, and I was ready to be blown away and wasn’t. Still wish I had bought that amp and swapped a few speakers through it.

I'm still confused why they don't offer the combo with V-30 instead. Sure the swap isn't hard, but that pairs so much better IME.

I'm still confused why they don't offer the combo with V-30 instead. Sure the swap isn't hard, but that pairs so much better IME.
Agree! Want some flavors? You should hear the Archon with with an Eminence EM12 or Warehouse ET65.

Might be on the heavier side, but I really enjoy my Boogie Mark IV combo... Really versatile amp. I know the middle channel doesn't get much support on the internet world, but i think its because a lot of metal guys use the amp and just don't care for the edge of breakup sort of sound. Channel 2 is extremely touch sensitive and expressive. Plus it has a recording out and a way to silence the speaker built in so you can just run it through the house.

Agree! Want some flavors? You should hear the Archon with with an Eminence EM12 or Warehouse ET65.
So not sure if it is a fellow-forumite selling, but I just bought a 25W Archon combo with ET65 off Reverb for a fair price. Your comment pushed me over the edge - normally I prefer to procure things with stock speakers, but in the case of the 25W Archon combo I have heard enough grumbles about the stock speaker being a little underwhelming I thought I'd give it a go.

I expect it will arrive next week, so we'll see how it compares against the 100W head + 2x12 Archon I already have.

Since I use pedalboards extensively, lack of reverb was not a deal-breaker.

So not sure if it is a fellow-forumite selling, but I just bought a 25W Archon combo with ET65 off Reverb for a fair price. Your comment pushed me over the edge - normally I prefer to procure things with stock speakers, but in the case of the 25W Archon combo I have heard enough grumbles about the stock speaker being a little underwhelming I thought I'd give it a go.

I expect it will arrive next week, so we'll see how it compares against the 100W head + 2x12 Archon I already have.

Sweet!

I think you will approve! Let me know what you think.

I saw a listing on CL last night for a trade. Some guy has a PRS SE50 (EL34's) he wants to trade for a "lighter" amp. 60 Lbs. they are heavy. I offered my 40lb. Hot Rod Deluxe. Going tonight to make the trade. :)

I saw a listing on CL last night for a trade. Some guy has a PRS SE50 (EL34's) he wants to trade for a "lighter" amp. 60 Lbs. they are heavy. I offered my 40lb. Hot Rod Deluxe. Going tonight to make the trade. :)

Sweet trade!

Back