Bernie Pup Upgrade Query

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
I've decided to pump up my Bernie with new pickups, wiring, pots, and locking tuners. This question is about pickups.

I'm looking at a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich, and a set of Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials. Has anyone on here tried either one of these sets in a Bernie? If so, thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not in a Bernie, but I put the Aldrich set in a KL-33 (Korina Santana) and have them in my Core Mira. I local forum member had them (Aldrich) in a Single Cut 594. I played that guitar for 10 minutes and ordered a set of Aldrich pick ups as soon as I got home that afternoon. Love them!

You know what I did with mine about a week ago, was change out the magnets in my Bernie. They come stock with Alnico 5's (so I've read) and I put in some Alnico 3 in both neck and bridge. Really changes the sound. The 3's give it a more P90 "clacky" sound, which I really like being pretty much a strictly blues player.

Of course not the answer to your specific question, but I think it's worth mentioning that if you want a different sound, it's a quick and cheap way to achieve that.

Follow-up question, as I am not an expert in changing pick-ups.

The Suhr Aldrich come in 50mm or 53 mm. Which size will fit the Bernie?

Thanks!

Gibson/PRS spacing is 50 mm. Fender is 53 mm.

If you're looking at the Duncan's, check this out.

Those Doug Aldrich pickups look like serious dragon slayer, hair rock pickups, dude. Definitely awesome, but different than the SNSs.

I've decided to pump up my Bernie with new pickups, wiring, pots, and locking tuners. This question is about pickups.

I'm looking at a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich, and a set of Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials. Has anyone on here tried either one of these sets in a Bernie? If so, thoughts?

Thanks

I have a set in a Tremonit SW. IMO they have to be in a LP style guitar for the resonance of the wood. Had them in a strat body and just didnt work. They are amazing pups and truly sound unique to my ear.

I have a set in a Tremonit SW. IMO they have to be in a LP style guitar for the resonance of the wood. Had them in a strat body and just didnt work. They are amazing pups and truly sound unique to my ear.

Cool info! Which set?

Back