Weekend With Bernie

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Allright, everything finally got completed on my Bernie, so what to do? Immediately road test him! This was last night at one of the myriad of marinas we play in the summer. Following a wicked thunderstorm, during which we were loading in, it calmed down and didn't rain another drop.

This guitar, which I snagged used from a GC in I think Rhode Island a while back, played and sounded good when I got it. However, since it was going to be my "LP," and I got it for such a great price, I wanted to do some upgrading. It now has locking tuners, new USA PRS pots and toggle, all new wiring (the good cloth covered stuff), and Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. It sounded ferocious last night-mission accomplished!
RbKrQW7.jpg

Allright, everything finally got completed on my Bernie, so what to do? Immediately road test him! This was last night at one of the myriad of marinas we play in the summer. Following a wicked thunderstorm, during which we were loading in, it calmed down and didn't rain another drop.

This guitar, which I snagged used from a GC in I think Rhode Island a while back, played and sounded good when I got it. However, since it was going to be my "LP," and I got it for such a great price, I wanted to do some upgrading. It now has locking tuners, new USA PRS pots and toggle, all new wiring (the good cloth covered stuff), and Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. It sounded ferocious last night-mission accomplished!
RbKrQW7.jpg
Nice! Bernie’s are killer, and punch way higher than their price point.

RbKrQW7.jpg
Just curious, did you not like the Bernie sound as is? The Aldrich pups are amazing, but I also though Paul put a lot of work into replicating the sound of Bernie's LP. I have aldrich in a Tremonti SE and they sound amazing, but am on the fence about messing with Bernie.

Just curious, did you not like the Bernie sound as is? The Aldrich pups are amazing, but I also though Paul put a lot of work into replicating the sound of Bernie's LP. I have aldrich in a Tremonti SE and they sound amazing, but am on the fence about messing with Bernie.
The SE 245's sounded really good. I got this guitar at such a great price, and had sold my 2 Les Pauls. I wanted to do the upgrades because we play so many gigs in the summer at these marinas, the locking tuners make string changing much easier, the toggle switch was wonky, and I wanted some more heat with the pickups. It's definitely a "Budget Beater Les paul" to my ears. It already played so well, it was easily worth the $350 or so to get it done. Now I feel confident that it will take the beating that I give my guitars and hold up like a champ.

Back