Bahhh Humbug...

RossF

Legato Fugato
I found a great deal on another Johnny Hiland just after Christmas via this ad from Duncan Music:

It was reduced from $2700.00 to $2400.00 tax in (CAD).

So I responded to the ad I committed to buying it.

This is the response I got:

Good evening Ross,
Sorry to be a nuisance but as of December 31, Duncan Music has officially closed and we re-opened as Long & McQuade. I have now shut down all those ads we forgot to remove.

That item is now an item in their inventory and is back to $2700 plus tax. It is still available and shipping would be an option via purolator. Feel free to give to give us a call if you're still interested.

Thank you,

Name redacted

Long & McQuade Duncan

Phone # redacted.

Nuisance isn't the word I would have chosen.

I might buy it anyway, but it feels like I am being weaseled upon. Is it just me or is this bad form?

I wouldn’t let $300 stop me from buying a guitar I wanted, but their way of doing business might. Seems they should at least offer some token break after leaving out ads on it. That’s just me, but those things rub me wrong... I don’t like to reward it with a sale.

Really is your call on this one. There’s no right or wrong on it, and it’s not an easy to find guitar.

@Fro I didn't even think of that. Could be a good call on your behalf.

@RickP The difference is actually about $600.00 after tax on the new price (@12%). That is 25% increase on the original price, which is pretty steep imo. However I feel the same way you do, it isn't as much the money as the principle (+interest) ;) . Actually it is the principle. The money part is annoying, but he price is still decent. I just don't like feeling like I am being shafted.

In the end I realize I have to make the call but I just wanted to get some input. Maybe I will call and talk to the guy.

Thanks guys/gals.

@Fro I didn't even think of that. Could be a good call on your behalf.

@RickP The difference is actually about $600.00 after tax on the new price (@12%). That is 25% increase on the original price, which is pretty steep imo. However I feel the same way you do, it isn't as much the money as the principle (+interest) ;) . Actually it is the principle. The money part is annoying, but he price is still decent. I just don't like feeling like I am being shafted.

In the end I realize I have to make the call but I just wanted to get some input. Maybe I will call and talk to the guy.

Thanks guys/gals.
I’m was thinking you were giving the pre-tax price on both, sorry. If the $2400 was tax included, and the $2700 is before tax, then yeah, it’s a big deal. I’d be even less likely to feel like I want to do that deal if that’s the case.

Back