Bad Set-up from the Factory... Anyone else? Advice?

Gman77

PRS Pulse Artist
PRS Pulse Artist
Hello all,

I have a bit of a dilemma.....

I just purchased a brand new Custom 24 10-top from an Online Music store. I've purchased a few brand new PRS before and they always come out of the case playing and feeling amazing. I don't usually have to do anything to them out of the box.

However, this one is different.... It came out of the case with a very high action and pretty much felt out of wack in general.

I contacted PTC about it. They suggested that the dealer or a potential customer might have tampered with it and said that they would do a set-up for $150....

I'm pretty positive that this guitar has never been touched since it left the factory. It arrived, still packed up in the original shipping box from the PRS factory to the music store. It was built in December 2012 and probably sat at the music store warehouse the entire time....

Obviously, I can't justify paying for a $150 set-up on a guitar I JUST paid $3000 for. I've had that done on other PRS guitars and I know it includes replacing the nut, polishing frets...etc.. But this guitar is BRAND NEW.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? And what would you recommend?

I don't want to return the guitar...as I like the guitar itself.. but, the set-up....Wow!!!! In comparison, I purchased a brand new Custom 24 a year ago (but in a different color) and the difference is night and day as far as set up.

I think the responsibility to make this right would be with the dealer...and then he could deal with PRS directly if he wants to recoup costs..

Hi, Gman77. Welcome to the forum!

It is unlikely that your guitar was never opened by the reseller. There are items a reseller might be comfortable getting shipped in and then sell without opening or inspecting like sealed boxes of vitamins or books or shrink wrapped CD, but guitars don't fall into that category. Any reputable reseller is gonna open that box and inspect the guitar if only to check it for correct specs as ordered and shipping damage.

I find it much more likely that your guitar was not only inspected, but fiddled with (sorry about that pun) by the reseller or one or many of his customers. The fact that it arrived in the original box from PRS to him is just good shipping sense - why throw away a box when it is likely you will need it to reship?

But here is the good news. If the guitar is brand new - that is you are the original owner and the warranty card is present and blank, you have recourses. The first and most obvious is to have the guitar returned to the reseller for a free setup - they really should pay the freight both ways, but don't be surprised if you have to pay on your end to send it back.

If the dealer refuses to do a free setup, or if the setup they do is still crappy, you are either going to have to talk it over with PTC or just return the guitar. It may be pretty and wonderful and everything else, but if it is unplayable it is just another $3000 door stop.

I hope it works out. Call your dealer and squeak a little.

edit: forgot to say... bad setup from the factory?? Not from PRS, period. The Fender Custom Shop? Yes - ask Hans.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

Just to put it out there...it came from American Musical Supply...whom I've been ordering stuff from since the 90's. Usually, their items are marked "dent and scratch" if it's been sold and then returned, even when the items are still mint. Not sure what's up with this guitar.....I have 10 days to return it.

I'll mull over your suggestions.

I once played a "new" CE22 at a Guitar Center. The strings were at least two gauges heavier than stock and the setup was absolutely terrible. There was also worming on the back and a dime size chunk taken out of the paint. Even though your guitar is "new" it's still a year old and a lot can happen to a guitar in a year, even just in a retailer's possession.

I agree with Gman77, contact AMS for assistance. See what they do in this situation. Use the fact you are a good customer!!!!! If it does not pan out, return it and get another from a dealer who can accommodate such issues. I would do it asap too. This guitar sounds like a Christmas present to yourself. :santa:

Thanks for the additional words John Beef and wardog... I'm working on getting it straightened out. I KNOW PRS makes fantastic guitars that are stage ready for the jump....

The guitar is "sort of" a Christmas present to myself... I have my usual run of Christmas shows all through December and felt like something new!

Did the guitar have the white foam (neck condom) wrapped around the neck around the 3rd or 4th frets? If not, it was finger banged by someone…

Either way, sitting in the warehouse for however long could have had an effect…

Jamie

A guitar that sits in a warehouse for four seasons is likely due for a setup, but there is a way to avoid this issue - there are some great, wonderful, reputable dealers that post here, who take care of their customers 100%, and that means they would NEVER let a guitar leave their shop unless it had a great setup!

Seriously - deal with an online box-moving store, and it's likely they don't even know what a great setup IS. You could send it back, wait for it to be set up, and still not be happy with what they do, because really, who's going to do the setup? Some kid who's simply working in their repair shop that you have no idea who it is?

Deal with one of the dealers who really knows their stuff, and it's a different world. I'd return that guitar and order from one of the good guys. Really. Go to the Dealers section of this forum and you will find a big difference.

Send it back and buy from Sweetwater.

I bought my Custom 24 from Sweetwater and when I received it, it was set up absolutely perfect. Intonation, action, and tuning were all spot on. Plus, they even stretched the strings a bit so, not only did it feel great and easy to play, it stayed in tune even with major tremolo work. Some good folks over at Sweetwater.

I bought my Custom 24 from Sweetwater and when I received it, it was set up absolutely perfect. Intonation, action, and tuning were all spot on. Plus, they even stretched the strings a bit so, not only did it feel great and easy to play, it stayed in tune even with major tremolo work. Some good folks over at Sweetwater.

I have to agree...I got calls pre and post sales on how I was liking my guitar with a direct number to who I was pseaking with. I bought a Gretsch from them. It wasnt a huge dollar guitar (under a thousand) but if I am spending big big money Lschefman I think has it right. The face to face deal, handshake and ongoing relationship is important.
When the time comes Brian in Hamden will probably get my money.

Got my 7-string from Sweetwater, and it was a painless experience. Made the call on a Monday at about 1:30 PM. Got the guitar the next flipping day. Seriously. Never expected that, even after he told me it would probably happen. Even if I order through the web site, my sales guy follows up with me. No substitute for a hands-on experience, but Sweetwater is good people.

If you have bonded with it then I'd contact your salesperson. They need to correct this for you . If that does not help then go above their head. A CEO or president do not like bad feedback.

My dgt was spot on and any of played have been perfect out of the box.

Did the guitar have the white foam (neck condom) wrapped around the neck around the 3rd or 4th frets? If not, it was finger banged by someone…

Either way, sitting in the warehouse for however long could have had an effect…

I'm with Jamie. if the "neck condom" isn't there then the guitar has been played or at least opened and checked over.

In a year the humidity changes can affect the neck. It may only need a truss rod tweak to be perfect, and that's a simple fix that you can do.

I was in that same boat when i bought my prs c24 from Guitar center.i had bought it from there online store,and my god you wanna talk about unplayable.the action was so high,trem bridge was ,out of wack,so i called GC and told them what was wrong and they told me to take the Guitar to any nearby Luther and they would flip the bill,and the did.i wish i would of known of ptc at that time,i would of sent it to the best in the business.GOOD LUCK.HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Happy ending.......

In my neighboring state of North Carolina, some fine gentlemen from Paul Reed Smith/PTC were at a local PRS dealer (Music 49) doing FREE set-ups and adjustments on any PRS guitar bought in. I took a 2 hour road trip with my wife and got my new CU24 JUST RIGHT as well as an older CU22 for free. Great store with a huge PRS selection, very friendly (and funny) people, the PRS guys were awesome and full of knowledge...etc. It was a great day and great conclusion to my dilemma.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with Jamie. if the "neck condom" isn't there then the guitar has been played or at least opened and checked over.

In a year the humidity changes can affect the neck. It may only need a truss rod tweak to be perfect, and that's a simple fix that you can do.

Yeah, the neck condom was there.... Honestly, I've bought a few new PRS... I'm pretty sure this was untouched. I now also "think" that it was the humidity and the guitar sitting around for a year that did it. The PTC fella who set it up said that the neck bowed. I'll just accept that that is what occurred. :D I'm very pleased now.

Happy ending.......

In my neighboring state of North Carolina, some fine gentlemen from Paul Reed Smith/PTC were at a local PRS dealer (Music 49) doing FREE set-ups and adjustments on any PRS guitar bought in. I took a 2 hour road trip with my wife and got my new CU24 JUST RIGHT as well as an older CU22 for free. Great store with a huge PRS selection, very friendly (and funny) people, the PRS guys were awesome and full of knowledge...etc. It was a great day and great conclusion to my dilemma.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great. I was there today also. Skitchy was there doing free setups. How can you turn that down? He setup my 2011 Custom 24 which is my oldest PRS guitar.

Glad your guitar is right now.

Back