As A Guitar Ages...A Discussion.

László

Too Many Notes
It was 1971. I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in college, buying my first acoustic guitar from the legendary Herb David, the luthier who penciled, "Too Bad You're A Commie" inside Joan Baez' Martin when he repaired it in the early 60s. I suppose Herb had his views, but he was (and is) a decent guy, and nice to the semi-hippie students who came to his shop to sample his wares. I picked a nice Guild out. As Herb rung up the sale he said, "It sounds good now, but in a few months you will really notice it begin to open up. It's a good guitar!"

Although I was a mostly a keyboard player, I'd heard about the way guitars got better the more you played them from the guitar and bass players in my bands. It was a given; no one had to prove it, and no one thought about it. Nor did I. And as the guitar got played more, it did seem to me that it began to sound a little fuller and louder.

In fact, it seems to me that every acoustic guitar I've owned has reached a point where it's begun to sound better, more open, and more alive. Although in my experience, they do seem to plateau and the changes in tone come much more slowly after that point.

I've heard similar claims made for electric guitars, but I've never really noticed a point where they sound better or more open, like acoustic guitars do. Maybe they change over time, but it's a much slower process that is less noticeable -- if it happens at all.

I've got a 1965 Gibson SG Special that was my brother's from new until he gave it to me in 1967. It always sounded the same to me. That is, very good. It lives at his place once again, and every time I play it, I think it's that old, familiar sound. Neither better nor worse than the last time. Of course, the thing is turning 50 years old this year, so there's that. Maybe its change happened long ago.

Fast-forward to tonight. I was reading the Guitarist Vintage Issue from a couple of months back. And once again, I found myself reading the claim that guitars age better, and sound better, when they're played a lot. They quoted a builder, and they opined on how it happens.

Now, I don't have any vintage electric guitars on hand in my own studio lately. I've played only PRSes in recent years, and I play them daily, though not for long periods of time. I play them while I practice, maybe a half an hour to an hour. I play them when I record. That can vary in terms of time. And I've been through a number of guitars over the past couple of decades, but I seem to change out too often to learn much about how they age.

But in any case, if someone were to ask me, "Do electric guitars' sounds change if you play them a lot compared to new ones?" I'd have to say, "I have no idea. I haven't kept one for more than a few years, and I'm not sure that's long enough to know! If that old SG changed tonally, I was too dumb/young/inexperienced to realize it."

We've all read the theories - the glue loosens (gee I hope the neck doesn't fall off!), the paint gets more porous, the wood vibrates, etc., etc,. etc. But there doesn't really seem to be anything more than anecdotal evidence for the whole ball of wax. Now, I'm not going to discount anecdotal evidence; it's been passed down from generation to generation, and there is probably a grain of truth to it. But no one really knows why.

Today there are gizmos that will vibrate your guitar while it sits in your closet - well, to me this isn't going to be the same as playing, unless it changes the notes that vibrate, but again, what do I know?

I have friends who collect old and valuable instruments, and I do play them when I visit. And...well...some of the acoustics do seem very mellow and open, though some age badly and I wonder what my friend who paid new-car money was thinking when he bought them, but that's another matter.

I have more trouble with the old solid body instruments. I think some are special. But maybe they were special when new. I think some are dogs. I'm not sure there's an "aged" solid body sound the way there is with an old acoustic.

For the most part, I hate the smell of old 30s-50s guitar cases anyway. Musty.

Edit - I'll add another thing I've thought about - museums that have historical instruments on hand have the most valuable, playable ones periodically played by professionals. Whether this is because they have some evidence that playing them keeps them sounding good, or they do it because they're afraid not to, is a good question!

Another question - collectors often put instruments away as investments and don't play them. Do they wind up aging as well, or worse because they aren't played?

At my age, the question about electric guitars may be academic - I'll likely be dead before a current electric guitar I own becomes old enough to sound different (if that ever happens). I do think it happens with my acoustics, in fact my 2013 Tonare Grand hit that point this spring. It just sounded phenomenally better to me.

Finally, James Taylor once did a video interview at his guitar storeroom, and talked about his old guitars. He claims that after a while of being played a lot, a guitar reaches a point where it doesn't sound as good any more. At least to him. And he will replace it. He's the only person I've heard say that. He's a great player. So does he just get bored with them, or does he have better hearing than the rest of us?

Forgive my random thoughts. I'm not trying to make a point, just have an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
You do seem to inspire quite a bit of food for thought, Les. None of the guitars I currently own can move me to tell any difference in sound simply because I haven't owned them long enough or played them enough. Yet. But back in my pre-Navy days I bought a Yamaha FG 300. And that followed a Harmony that didn't stay too long. The FG got played quite a bit. It sounded great. I thought it was the cat's meow because it had a fully adjustable bridge. I mean, you could raise/lower it as well as adjust the individual saddles. It got to the point where the pick guard finally loosened up and I replaced it with a black walnut veneer piece I had that was large enough so that I used the old pick guard as a template. I finally gave it to my son for a graduation present about 17 years ago. From time to time, when we visit him, I will pick it up and mess around. It still has a nice feel to the action, but somehow it seems to have lost some of its "sparkle" to my ears. It could be just my memory, I can't really say. I will only add that I liked that guitar so much that I bought another one while I visited Japan and gave that one to my second sister who still has it and refuses to part with it for any reason (good for her). Haven't played hers in years, but I will next time I get a chance to see what I think of that one.

So. Very interesting for discussion purposes. I look forward to hearing others' thoughts as well. In the meantime, I am hoping that my own tone improves with age alongside my guitars, heh.

I do not have an "expert" opinion. I DO think there is something to the woods "aging" at least up to a point. Some of that is due to the further drying as the guitar ages. It is not too har dot find PRSh interviews where the dryness of the wood is cited. And I DO think PRSi have gotten better over hte years----for many reasons. That is, the new ones are better than the old ones were new. AS someone who has had several PRS guitars and lost intertest for a while due to "something missing", this is good. Good to see folks that continue to improve rather than rest on their laurels.

In the case of one of my non-PRS guitars, I was told in advance that it would be like a "50 year old friend" in terms of look, sound and feel, right out of the case. It is. I am a believer, even if I have not A-D'd it with an original "Burst". I have also not compared it directly to a new PS McCarty Singlecut that is also aimed squarely at the same vintage look/sound/feel.

So.....I do think aging is (can be) a good thing. But getting the wood (and everything else) right the first time can take a lot of the need to "wait" away.

The biggest difference over time has to do with the wood resins crystallizing. Some things you can't change very easily (protein glue, ultra thin finish etc)

intheory, PRS has made the vast majority of his current guitars with all the benefits of an aged guitar. I would like to know more about his glue types beyond the fretboard but I digress. The fact that he makes sure the wood is at a specific moisture level and that the resins are crystallized gives you that aged harmonic oomph on day 1.

The guitar sounding better or opening up as it ages is an interesting discussion. I don't know if its as important to electric guitars as it is acoustic. Watching the interview on The Acoustic Letter, PRSH doesn't believe in the guitar opening up. He just thinks the finish is drying, so that's an interesting point of view. Speaking of the string vibration devices, Tim McKnight of McKnight Guitars uses the Tonerite on his guitars before shipping. I don't know if he does it to all of his guitars, but it seems that way from the build threads I've seen online. He's very respected and knowledgeable so it's interesting to see that he believes in the device. Multiple people have seemed to hear an audible difference after using the machine.

Wood is an organic material, it ages, it's molecular structure will change but much longer than our life time.

The Forbidden City in China is made out of timber, there are parts of it that is thousands of years old. I am sure the wood in there is different to one you just chop down, if one were to make a guitar out of it, it would be interesting to see if it does sound any better than a new piece of timber.

An amp will have much bigger impact on sound than how the guitar ages, my opinion is that it is not worth thinking about whether an electric guitar's sound changes over time.

Acoustics: I do believe they improve with age, but I'm not sure how long that improvement continues. When I bought a steel string about 35 years ago I sat it in front of my big old stereo speaker for a couple of years when I wasn't playing it. It sounded good when I bought it, but very good after the first couple of years. Enough so that I couldn't find a better sounding guitar at 5x the price so it was my only acoustic for over 20 years, at which point I bought a 12 string.

Electrics: I think the only improvement is in how you play. The ones I've owned for 15-30 years don't sound any different than when I first bought them. My oldest is a 62 that I bought in the early 70s - I can't tell a difference in the sound, though its skin shows its age.

I do believe that acoustics "age" into their sound, but an acoustic is it's own closed system, it's own amp, made of wood.
I think electrics age too but little or nothing to do with the wood, more to do with changes I would just put down as "other" (string height, electronics degrading, changes in amp, etc).

Les, that's an interesting philosophical question. I'd like to sit down with you and have a long friendly conversation someday about all things guitar-related. Here's a point I must bring up; after 50 years of playing the electric guitar (at very high volumes) my hearing has definately been compromised. I can't get these damn cicadas out of my head. So my baseline hearing is not the same today, as it was even a year ago. It is much more muted/muffled. It would be very difficult for me to attribute any changes in tone to the aging of any of my guitars (including the Fender Mustang I've owned for 49 years), when you factor in my hearing loss, as well as the evolution of my rig (cables, pedals, speakers, rooms, etc.)

So.....I do think aging is (can be) a good thing. But getting the wood (and everything else) right the first time can take a lot of the need to "wait" away.

I agree. The question I still have is, does playing the guitar a lot make a difference over time?

Watching the interview on The Acoustic Letter, PRSH doesn't believe in the guitar opening up. He just thinks the finish is drying, so that's an interesting point of view. .

Interesting mention of Paul saying the sound on an acoustic changes because the paint is drying - we know that with traditional nitro finishes, the paint takes quite a long time to fully dry. so that makes sense.

But what about UV-cured finishes like those that Taylor uses? Those finishes are dry from the get-go. And my experience with several Taylors was that they still opened up after a while.

Les, that's an interesting philosophical question. I'd like to sit down with you and have a long friendly conversation someday about all things guitar-related. Here's a point I must bring up; after 50 years of playing the electric guitar (at very high volumes) my hearing has definately been compromised. I can't get these damn cicadas out of my head. So my baseline hearing is not the same today, as it was even a year ago. It is much more muted/muffled. It would be very difficult for me to attribute any changes in tone to the aging of any of my guitars (including the Fender Mustang I've owned for 49 years), when you factor in my hearing loss, as well as the evolution of my rig (cables, pedals, speakers, rooms, etc.)

I'd love to sit down and have that discussion, too! Coupla beers would make it all the better! And...my son Jamie recently picked up a '65 Fender Mustang, he loves old guitars. Especially red ones.

The hearing thing...

When I first got interested in audio and recording in my 20s, I started thinking about my hearing, and protecting it. So over the years I've taken precautions and limited my exposure to loud sounds. When gigging, I've worn custom molded earplugs for 15 years, and before that simply used the cheap ones, but they work, too. So even though I'm ancient, my hearing is good, and I can still mix accurately.

I feel really lucky!

Last edited:
Regarding electrics, I do believe they change with age, but that the change is not necessarily an improvement. Some get better, some get worse, some stay about the same with subtle differences. I also believe there is no magic era - there are good and bad guitars made in the '50's, '60's, '70's, etc...all this meaning, just because one is old does not mean it is good.

I noticed a long time ago that some old guitars look beat to hell and others are in amazing shape. I have always felt that it's because the good ones got played a lot from day one and the dogs were left sitting in their cases. Time hasn't changed the fact that it was a bad guitar from the beginning.

Having gone to my fair share of guitar shows here in Texas the past couple of years, I can tell you, first hand, that there are many, many bad old guitars for sale at premium prices, acoustic and electric. They were bad then and age has not improved them, (especially acoustics where the wood has become so dried up that it sounds like a cardboard box), mint condition or beat up. We'll not pay good money for some 'sentimental' piece when you can get a brand new(or 'previously loved') top quality PRS electric. That's my 2 cents.

I noticed a long time ago that some old guitars look beat to hell and others are in amazing shape. I have always felt that it's because the good ones got played a lot from day one and the dogs were left sitting in their cases. Time hasn't changed the fact that it was a bad guitar from the beginning.

An interesting theory, but then there have always been players who get really good guitars and simply take really good care of them. Whoever has bought my guitars in the past knows that I'm a maniac about their condition, but at the same time, I only buy good ones.

There are also folks who've bought really good guitars, don't realize it, and rarely played them. Or the original owner died and the family put the guitar away.

So my question is...does playing the guitars over the years improve their tone?

Last edited:
So my question is...does playing the guitars over the years improve their tone?

I do think playing the guitar a lot while the resins in the wood are drying out, etc changes the tone. Not necessarily for the better, so while I do think it is entirely possible that a guitar got better it is equally possible that over the years it wore out. I have played some truly terrible sounding old guitars that were obviously played a lot.

Bob Taylor from Taylor Guitars has written about this a few times and has a personal opinion from his years of guitar building experience. Now, he builds a few guitars each year and has done so for 40 years, so he might just know a thing or two about it. His personal experience has been that for some reason there are stair steps in the aging process which he states seem to come in increments of 5 years. The first noticeable step is after 5 years, then 10 years, etc. His opinion is that the guitar does indeed open up and get better with time and playing. Since he is in CA, he is limited to polyurethane type finishes and cannot use lacquer to finish his guitars, which is going to be one noticeable difference between his guitars and say a 40 year old Gibson finished in nitrocellulose lacquer. Like PRSh, Taylor states that even though these guitars get better with time, he feels they are building better guitars today than they ever have.

I think what we are talking about here is whether electrics age gracefully or not since this is in the "Electrics" section of the forum. I doubt anyone could isolate the miniscule change that MIGHT occur over time especially since amps probably change more over time and will have a more profound impact on the sound than the guitar aging. I say, enjoy your guitar(s) while you can and move on with life.

Last edited:
We've all read the theories - the glue loosens (gee I hope the neck doesn't fall off!), the paint gets more porous, the wood vibrates, etc., etc,. etc. But there doesn't really seem to be anything more than anecdotal evidence for the whole ball of wax. Now, I'm not going to discount anecdotal evidence; it's been passed down from generation to generation, and there is probably a grain of truth to it. But no one really knows why.

Why? It could be any or all of those things. But I don't think our scientific understanding of energy and how it works is up to the task, yet, of explaining how the energy provided by (a) the player, and (b) the sound waves impact (and interact with) the guitar, which is an organism -- I'd even call it an ecosystem -- that has its own bundle of energy on account of all the tension. (the strings, the neck joint, the bent/shaped wood, etc, etc, etc.)

Few examples to ponder: what happens when a player uses a particular guitar A LOT over a long period of time? I'm thinking about Rory Gallagher's Strat. Jimmy Page's "Number One" Les Paul. SRV's main Strat. Steve Kimock's Explorer. (or his White Strat. or his L-5CES... ...SK has played several guitars A LOT over a lot of years!) If we got to the point where we could detect and measure the energy fields that those instruments have, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a significant impact from that guitar's experience as the main squeeze of a player who put in that kind of time on it.

Of course people already talk about that as if it's fact: Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes (as well as my friend Charlie Daughtry) have all played Duane Allman's Les Pauls recently. They all talk about the experience as though those guitars emanated a certain energy. Is that because they know they were Duane's guitars? Or is there something more going on? I'm sure most science minded people would say "it's the first one" and probably not give it another moment's thought. Which is too bad because that attitude is ultimately self-limiting. Hard to learn when you've already decided the answer and refuse to admit that you might be missing something.

Anyway, I'm pretty firmly of the belief that putting your sweat into a guitar over time changes the guitar. (and yourself as well, so who knows) Although I also think that if you leave the guitar alone for too long, those changes can be undone. At least that's my experience.

I've noticed another distinctive effect that has been very consistent over time and across guitars. As most of you know, I have enough guitars around that, if I played 6 hours a day, 30 minutes per guitar, it would take me most of a work week to get to them all. I don't play that much, although some days I get pretty close, and I certainly don't rotate evenly across guitars although over the course of a month I generally play nearly all of them. Here's the effect: if I haven't played a guitar in more than a couple of days, it takes about 20 minutes of play-time for the guitar to warm up and start resonating the way I know it can.

That's all just information, though, and related thoughts & experiences from my perspective. I'd love for science to start catching up on the whole energy-field thing as it relates to this stuff, but I'm not holding my breath. I can't imagine the NSF is in any hurry to fund that sort of study. No obvious military benefits.

I do believe a guitar changes tone over time, and becomes a bit more organic and warm. It's kind of like strings, I like the sound of old strings, some guys want that chirp to it. I have 30 guitars and I hate stringing so all but one guitar has old strings on it. They aren't rusty, but they are definitely not chirpy either. And I like a bright tone, but I'm leaning more towards the pedals and amp for the treble and the guitar to be warmer.

Funny you mention an SG Special Les, I just picked one up (a '64) in Nashville over the summer. I love it... The McCarty was my first intro to P90s and I played this SG and was in love.

I know I personally got a new SG (other SG) back in '02 that was my first guitar and it sounds a lot more rounded out today and not as shrill.

So I think the sound does change over time, whether people like it or not (in the case of James Taylor), is another ballgame.

I feel that my PRS guitars loosened up and sounded better after I played them some when new they seemed a bit tight after my first string change and setup they were much better for me

Back