Artist II from the mid 90’s - tell me what you know…

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Nodnarb1977, May 12, 2021.

1. Nodnarb1977

Nodnarb1977 New Member

So, as my interest in different PRS guitars grows, I’ve come to find I really like the aesthetics of the Artist II series. Extra classy, yet not as “sparkly” as the Artist III. I dig it.

However, I am led to believe they all were semi/hollow or chambered of sorts. Is this an awesome thing for their tone compared to solid body CU22s? Or just a weight thing when it comes down to it?

Finally, were the models with trems all semi-hollow too? If so, how does that work?!?

Thanks in advance for your insights! Pics of purdy ones you got lying around won’t hurt my feelings either!

2. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

From the Model History page:

ARTIST SERIES II: 1993 - 1996. Specs similar to Artist Series but with maple bound headstock and fretboard, 22 frets, stop-tail, gold-plated hardware, semi-hollow, PRS tremolo options, leather/hard-shell case.

bodia and Nodnarb1977 like this.
  3. Going Modal

Going Modal I should be practicing right now.

You sure you're not looking for a 10th Anniversary Artist? Because I know a guy...

I'm thinking that semi-hollow/chambered means that the two sides of the body were routed out hollow before the maple top was applied; but this usually also means that the bulk of the body down the middle (where the pickups, bridge, and tremolo-spring cavity [in the back]) are all basically "solid body" through that center portion. Even the "semi hollow" guitars of today are like this--what's unique to those earlier PRS's, though, is that they didn't have the f-holes in the top. So it's like you have a "secret" semi-hollow, of sorts.

Nodnarb1977 and dogrocketp like this.
  4. brado

brado New Member

Original catalog card about says it all, semi-hollow was an option. I also like that back then, Paul would play each Artist guitar before it went out. My Artist 2 (not semi-hollow)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bodia, Nodnarb1977 and sergiodeblanc like this.
  5. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc PRSf certified

Yeah, semi hollow was just an option.

These were super reasonable pre COVID pricing.