Artist II from the mid 90’s - tell me what you know…

Nodnarb1977

So, as my interest in different PRS guitars grows, I’ve come to find I really like the aesthetics of the Artist II series. Extra classy, yet not as “sparkly” as the Artist III. I dig it.

However, I am led to believe they all were semi/hollow or chambered of sorts. Is this an awesome thing for their tone compared to solid body CU22s? Or just a weight thing when it comes down to it?

Finally, were the models with trems all semi-hollow too? If so, how does that work?!?

Thanks in advance for your insights! Pics of purdy ones you got lying around won’t hurt my feelings either!

From the Model History page:

ARTIST SERIES II: 1993 - 1996. Specs similar to Artist Series but with maple bound headstock and fretboard, 22 frets, stop-tail, gold-plated hardware, semi-hollow, PRS tremolo options, leather/hard-shell case.

You sure you're not looking for a 10th Anniversary Artist? Because I know a guy...

I'm thinking that semi-hollow/chambered means that the two sides of the body were routed out hollow before the maple top was applied; but this usually also means that the bulk of the body down the middle (where the pickups, bridge, and tremolo-spring cavity [in the back]) are all basically "solid body" through that center portion. Even the "semi hollow" guitars of today are like this--what's unique to those earlier PRS's, though, is that they didn't have the f-holes in the top. So it's like you have a "secret" semi-hollow, of sorts.

Yeah, semi hollow was just an option.

These were super reasonable pre COVID pricing.

Back