Are McCartys still in production?

Kiwi

I'm new to this board, but not to PRS ... I'm looking at the main PRS Products section of the PRS website, and not seeing any mention of McCartys. Are they still being produced? An iconic guitar, at least for me. =K

Not at the moment and they haven't been for a few years. Last run I know of was a 2011 limited run for the UK market only. Only moons, no 10 tops, but a good price.

Easy to find used, and even a few NOS (new old stock) out there. As a matter of fact, I've got my eye on an MC58.

Thanks, guys. As you can tell from the question (and my introduction post, on that Intro thread), I've been away from PRS for a few years. I was very pleased to pick up a used PF-09 McCarty this year; had not heard PRS had discontinued the entire line. =K

In a way they haven't discontinued the McCarty; it's still the body for the 408, the DGT, and the Paul's Guitar.

It's more or less become three models with different pickups.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, Les...

The DGT has different tuners and pups, a trem, and an extra knob...the 408 has a trem, different tuners and pups, and a completely different switching system...the Paul's has different tuners and pups and a completely different switching system. And I'm not even talking abou subtle nuances like headstock thickness, neck carve, wood selection, etc. Those guitars are all great in their own right, but if every guitar is the sum of its parts, I think they are a far cry from the McCarty. That's like saying the Ford Bronco is still in production because Ford's still turning out SUVs.

Coming up on the 20th anniversary of the McCarty - I'm betting the McCarty WILL return!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, Les...

The DGT has different tuners and pups, a trem, and an extra knob...the 408 has a trem, different tuners and pups, and a completely different switching system...the Paul's has different tuners and pups and a completely different switching system. And I'm not even talking abou subtle nuances like headstock thickness, neck carve, wood selection, etc. Those guitars are all great in their own right, but if every guitar is the sum of its parts, I think they are a far cry from the McCarty. That's like saying the Ford Bronco is still in production because Ford's still turning out SUVs.

I did say, "In a way they haven't discontinued" it. By that I meant simply that the body thickness has migrated to other models, with different pickup configurations, etc. Imagine the McCarty as the father of the DGT, the Paul's guitar, the Modern Eagle, and the 408. Children aren't identical to parents, but they're part of the same lineage.

Note that the McCarty had a trem model for a while, and for limited runs, and in fact, the DGT was based on one of David Grissom's McCartys! And of course, DGT made changes to the spec. But is it still closer to a McCarty than a CU22 or 24? I'd think so.

I have owned a number of McCartys and, respectfully, I do think that the newer models are a continuation of some basic concepts laid down by the original McCartys regarding body, neck width (the 408 and Paul's guitar share the successor to the W/F, etc.). My Sig Ltd is a 408, and it feels almost exactly like my old McCartys in every way except it has different pickups, tuners and headstock thickness. Well, in terms of what's important to me, it's definitely a descendant of the McCarty line.

Certainly they are different models in a number of ways, too. I'm talking lineage here, nothing more.

Last edited:
I did say, "In a way they haven't discontinued" it. By that I meant simply that the body thickness has migrated to other models, with different pickup configurations, etc. Imagine the McCarty as the father of the DGT, the Paul's guitar, the Modern Eagle, and the 408. Children aren't identical to parents, but they're part of the same lineage.

Note that the McCarty had a trem model for a while, and for limited runs, and in fact, the DGT was based on one of David Grissom's McCartys! And of course, DGT made changes to the spec. But is it still closer to a McCarty than a CU22 or 24? I'd think so.

I have owned a number of McCartys and, respectfully, I do think that the newer models are a continuation of some basic concepts laid down by the original McCartys regarding body, neck width (the 408 and Paul's guitar share the successor to the W/F, etc.). My Sig Ltd is a 408, and it feels almost exactly like my old McCartys in every way except it has different pickups, tuners and headstock thickness. Well, in terms of what's important to me, it's definitely a descendant of the McCarty line.

Certainly they are different models in a number of ways, too. I'm talking lineage here, nothing more.

I agree with the fact that the body thickness has migrated to other models, but I think there are so many other factor involved than simply body thickness, and each of those things imparts a flavor that is unique.

When the McCarty was created, PRS revamped everything they were doing with Customs...new body thickness, new headstock thickness (and angle, I think), new hardware, new pickups, new neck shape with bigger neck heel, etc. The result was a new guitar with an emphasis on a specific tone, and it carried a brand new name that is synonymous with guitar tone.

When they created the Modern Eagle, PRS changed the neck wood and finish, but they also reworked the pickups to match those changes, which created a new guitar with it's own sound and own name.

With the DGT, they spent years working with and perfecting minute details that have a HUGE impact on the end result...things like leaving parts unplated, new fret wire, larger strings...giving it very much it's own identity. Is it a descendent of the McCarty? Yes. Is it a McC? Not in my book...which isn't a bad thing.

When PRS made the Artist 2, 3, limited, and 4, they were glorified Custom 22s. They had the same woods, tolerances, hardware, etc. Some even had the same pickups. They were direct descendants of the Custom, and I don't think anyone questioned that. When the Artist 5 came out a couple of years ago, I was so excited because I loved the old Customs and Artists. I got an A5, but it was completely different than any custom out there...new pickups, new switching. It was its own guitar, which I struggled with. I kept trying to make it a Custom. After about six months, I finally admitted to myself that it was not the same guitar it had descended from, and it would never be. I sold it. It wasn't a bad guitar...in fact, you love yours...it was just different enough from where it started that it wasn't the same to me.

I don't think you are trying to say that these other guitars are McCartys, and I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm just saying that those other models have changes and evolutions that make them different enough from the McCarty, and I think it is a disservice to them to not recognize them for the unique guitars they are.

When PRS made the Artist 2, 3, limited, and 4, they were glorified Custom 22s. They had the same woods, tolerances, hardware, etc. Some even had the same pickups. They were direct descendants of the Custom, and I don't think anyone questioned that.

The CU22 descended from the first Dragon, and so did the Artist II. So it's the other way around. Of course, the CU24 came first, too.

The Artist II (I had #32) predated the Custom 22 I believe. I think I got it in '92, and here's a shot; there was very little difference between it and a later CU22 (I had several later on):

So the Custom 22 was actually a descendant of the Dragon and Artist II. It came out in 1993, after I already had my Artist II.

When the Artist 5 came out a couple of years ago, I was so excited because I loved the old Customs and Artists. I got an A5, but it was completely different than any custom out there...new pickups, new switching. It was its own guitar, which I struggled with. I kept trying to make it a Custom. After about six months, I finally admitted to myself that it was not the same guitar it had descended from, and it would never be. I sold it. It wasn't a bad guitar...in fact, you love yours...it was just different enough from where it started that it wasn't the same to me.

These things are so personal, and everyone's opinions are, naturally, different - and valid.

I liked my Customs and my Artist II, but I also think my Artist V is a far superior instrument to them. Even if the electronics and finish were the same, the differences in fingerboard (ebony instead of rosewood), neck thickness (Pattern Reg instead of W/F), neck heel, and neck wood (Peruvian 'hog instead of something else) would make a significant difference in the tone of the instrument. So it really was to be expected that it would sound and play differently from the Custom 22s, especially with the new pickups, etc.

I never loved the original PRS pickups that came on the Artist and Custom. Some I wanted to swap out for a more vintage sounding pickup. So for a lot of reasons, I prefer the A-V. I also like the finish more, and the switching makes more sense to me. I didn't like working with the rotary, one reason I switched to McCartys. And I love the tone of it a lot more than I dug the Custom 22s (probably had 4 of them over the years) or Artist II. Different strokes, of course!

It's all good.

I'm just saying that those other models have changes and evolutions that make them different enough from the McCarty, and I think it is a disservice to them to not recognize them for the unique guitars they are.

We're probably splitting hairs. I agree that they're unique. I'm unique, and my father was unique, and my mother is unique. But there's a lineage. I don't feel I'm getting a disservice if people tell me I'm descended from my father and mother.

I have owned 5 McCartys. I currently own a Sig Ltd (408), Certainly there are differences! Lots of them. Incidentally, I would trade my Sig for another McCarty, because it's more versatile, a greatly improved instrument (to me). Second or third generation, I'm good with that.

But the McCarty lineage - to my way of thinking - lives on. Especially with the DGT. Even though the DGT is indeed different.

Last edited:
I think Claytona nd Les are Both right!! :)

I am sure the McCarty will be back..... right now with the recent MC58, the NOS ME1's and the current daughters of the McCarty (408, Paul's G and DGT) and the return of the CU22, PRS must have decided to let the new stuff have a push, I think the McCarty will return though.

Might be a strategy not to have too many models over lapping..... or could just be a case of letting dealers move stock etc.

I wonder if therer is a particular policy now where they will toggle between the CU22 and the McC..... hmmmm

Would be interesting to see if a McCarty-esque DC245 and DC245 trem would come out. I think that would sell well

In a way they haven't discontinued the McCarty; it's still the body for the 408, the DGT, and the Paul's Guitar.

This. In fact, the DGT can also be a "redesigned" McCarty Trem with one added volume pot and a pair of "better" McCarty pickups rechristened as DGT pickups.

I personally find the Paul's Guitar to be the closest to the McCarty in terms of design and configuration, but with different pickups. Think McCarty NF with 408 Bass pickups.

I think Claytona nd Les are Both right!! :)

I am sure the McCarty will be back..... right now with the recent MC58, the NOS ME1's and the current daughters of the McCarty (408, Paul's G and DGT) and the return of the CU22, PRS must have decided to let the new stuff have a push, I think the McCarty will return though.

Might be a strategy not to have too many models over lapping..... or could just be a case of letting dealers move stock etc.

I wonder if therer is a particular policy now where they will toggle between the CU22 and the McC..... hmmmm

Would be interesting to see if a McCarty-esque DC245 and DC245 trem would come out. I think that would sell well

I hope that's really the case! I do hope they make the Standard 24/22 happen again, it's great to take a break from the 10-tops for awhile and take a closer look at how beautiful the mahogany grain looks. :laugh: Oh, and bring back the Custom 24 Stoptails too!

:beer:

I agree with Les. The body and style continue in other models. I actually would add the P22 (stoptail and trem). To me, they are McCartys with piezo and piezo and trem. They do have the same body thickness as the McCarty.

Back