Archon faceplates - curious

Love the new faceplate and totally satisfied with it. It’s a keeper :)

But out of curiosity today I took the stock faceplate and sanded it down and about to apply some color stain. Not saying what stain color just yet as I would like to surprise ;) I will post some pics hopefully later today :)Plus I have a trick for the stock gold emblem.

Well, it appears I can't see the pix without an instagram account - all you other folks have an instagram account? Or is my phone just being stupid? I have no desire to open an account just to look at these pix.

I do not Instagram, but I can get there through those links.

Well, it appears I can't see the pix without an instagram account - all you other folks have an instagram account? Or is my phone just being stupid? I have no desire to open an account just to look at these pix.

If I’m using my phone I cannot access Instagram photos via the links above that I posted above or any Instagram photos period but,,, if I use my computer I can click those links and no problem.

I would have attached the images here within the thread but I couldn’t figure it out - lol. If someone can explain how to input the images here on the forum I’d be glad to post these up so no one else runs into the same issues. I think the issue is just mobile and Instagram not playing well together.

Btw in case anyone is wondering I haven’t worked much on the other faceplate much as I’ve been pretty busy at work but as soon as I get it finished I’ll post pics of the other faceplate modded. Thanks

Last edited:
If I’m using my phone I cannot access Instagram photos via the links above that I posted above or any Instagram photos period but,,, if I use my computer I can click those links and no problem.

I would have attached the images here within the thread but I couldn’t figure it out - lol. If someone can explain how to input the images here on the forum I’d be glad to post these up so no one else runs into the same issues. I think the issue is just mobile and Instagram not playing well together.

Btw in case anyone is wondering I haven’t worked much on the other faceplate much as I’ve been pretty busy at work but as soon as I get it finished I’ll post pics of the other faceplate modded. Thanks
Ah, well, I don't often sit at home in front of my PC through the week (I do my forum browsing here at work when I want to take a break from "neverending charts and slides of doom"). Downside is that work blocks most of the social-media sites, so Instagram is a no-go.

If I think of it I will check at home tonight.

As for posting photos from third-party sites, you would need to find the direct link to the image (i.e. http: // whatever_site.com/folder/image.jpg ). Then you copy-pasta that link into the post using the "Image" tool, which wraps IMG tags around the URL. If you host your images on Imgur, the tools on that site auto-include the IMG tags when you grab the URL.

See here for a few more details:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/how-to-post-pics.932/

(Ignore advice to use Photobucket - that site is now anathema to most of us. I suggest Imgur, personally.)

Hey guys,
I am confused. I am looking to buy an Archon 100. I see some with what looks like a beige or brown center strip horizontally across the amp front panel. I find that ugly. Then I see some with what appears to be grey? Are there different versions or is the grey/black, a newer version?
Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I am confused. I am looking to buy an Archon 100. I see some with what looks like a beige or brown center strip horizontally across the amp front panel. I find that ugly. Then I see some with what appears to be grey? Are there difger nt versions or is the grey, a newer version?
Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich, some you see with beige to brown and some with grey to black are pretty much the same. The faceplates were most likely done by hand dying them and not all wood will take stain the same.

I’ve recently started my wood shop back up for guitar accessories and soon I’ll be doing some guitars as well. I’ve made several Archon faceplates with flame and quilted maple both. A lot of the faceplates and wood I’m using has nicer flame to them. If your not into a big hurry then I can work with you on one possibly if that’s something your interested in. Just let me know.

Hope you find what your looking for and btw the newer Archons no longer use a flame maple faceplate but instead a plain wood front that’s painted and made to look like brushed metal or it could be brushed metal.

Take care

Hey guys,
I am confused. I am looking to buy an Archon 100. I see some with what looks like a beige or brown center strip horizontally across the amp front panel. I find that ugly. Then I see some with what appears to be grey? Are there difger nt versions or is the grey, a newer version?
Thanks,
Rich
My purple Archon head has the wheat/brown face plate. Looks good with purple.

Hi Lyric, thanks...
I prefer black to grey, with no brown at all.
So, the new ones are solid black or aluminum/steel?
I would prefer brushed metal if that is the case. I found someone selling a fairly new Archon that he mentions is the newer black faceplate model.
I have been looking around to find an example of the new painted faceplate or metal, but can't find one.
Are we talking about tonal differences in the ones with different faceplate or have they all been the same?

This one looks cool but not sure if wood or metal, but $1799 seems a bit high. I see them selling for $1450 and less.

"PRS Archon Two Channel 100/50 Watt Guitar Amplifier Head - Open Box – Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center" https://chucklevins.com/products/pr...-iCpn3kz910bkdWj_ICQj8STcfyWW8fRoCSoEQAvD_BwE

Thilwre is one on Reverb that looks brown and I don't like that look. It's made in 2017.

What is the going rate for a used Archon 100?

Last edited:
My purple Archon head has the wheat/brown face plate. Looks good with purple.

Curious was your purple Archon a 50? I think I remember seeing the 50 watt models had the wheat covering on faceplate and the 100 watt had the flame maple done in a violet. Just curious.

Hi Lyric, thanks...
I prefer black to grey, with no brown at all.
So, the new ones are solid black or aluminum/steel?
I would prefer brushed metal if that is the case. I found someone selling a fairly new Archon that he mentions is the newer black faceplate model.
I have been looking around to find an example of the new painted faceplate or metal, but can't find one.
Are we talking about tonal differences in the ones with different faceplate or have they all been the same?

This one looks cool but not sure if wood or metal, but $1799 seems a bit high. I see them selling for $1450 and less.

"PRS Archon Two Channel 100/50 Watt Guitar Amplifier Head - Open Box – Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center" https://chucklevins.com/products/pr...-iCpn3kz910bkdWj_ICQj8STcfyWW8fRoCSoEQAvD_BwE

Thilwre is one on Reverb that looks brown and I don't like that look. It's made in 2017.

What is the going rate for a used Archon 100?

The one from Chuck Levins is the flame maple faceplate. New the 100 watt sales for 2300 now but used they can be had for around 1200 to 1400 I believe and depends how you go about buying one from where. Looking online used it looks like the market has dried up a lot on used equipment.

I don’t believe there were any changes to the Archon over the years except when they fixed the issue with the Loop noise. But I did notice something funny that went missing on the website, every year PRS would/will update each item on their website. Not technically that there is ever any change to the product like the Archon but I think it’s just being current. Anyway what PRS would always include on the website listing of the Archon and what they bragged about is missing for the new ones starting in 2019 I believe. They use to mention they were made with Belton tube sockets chassis mounted, hand wired boards, alpha pots mounted direct, high end shielding and more ———— but all this nice technical jargon is now missing from the website. I think they still do all this on the Archon but again what they use to include on the website is now missing.

Who knows lol

Back