Archon 25 footswitch

GreenCustom24

So I'm super interested in getting an Archon 25 (if the rumored Tremonti signature amp isn't too expensive or high powered). I'd prefer a head, but I'll take what I can get.

My question is about the footswitch. I know it connects with that weird 5 pin Midi type thing because they simply had to make it difficult, but if I could find another connector like that would it be possible to control the amp with a single button switch? I don't see a use for the Loop on/off function and I'm sure I'd never use it. The second switch I'd never touch makes the pedal unnecessarily large. Takes up valuable board space. I'm currently having the same problem with my Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister. It's got the 2 button switch that could easily be a 1... I don't even keep the pedal connected because of it. I can't use a single button switch with it. Straight up doesn't work.

I know I'll want to use the distortion channel on the Archon, but I A: Don't want that loop switch, and B: Want to be able to run it in stereo with my Tubemeister, using both distortion channels. I'll have to solve the Tubemeister problem another way or replace the amp...

Can it be done?

Are you opposed to gutting the PRS footswitch and putting it (the 1 button you need, the other tucked inside) into a smaller box?

Loop on/off switch is awesome! Want some EQ, Delay and Chorus for solos? Loop on.

Anyway, I played one yesterday and that switch is not much bigger than most pedals and smaller than some. Unless you want to rewire the channel switch from inside the amp, and change it to a 1/4 inch Jack, I think you're out of luck.

Are you opposed to gutting the PRS footswitch and putting it (the 1 button you need, the other tucked inside) into a smaller box?
Honestly didn't even think of that. Ha I could do it. Or have it done... I'm not great with that stuff. Wouldn't be opposed to it.

Loop on/off switch is awesome! Want some EQ, Delay and Chorus for solos? Loop on.
Eh. I run all my effects through the loop anyway. I still don't think I'd use it.

Get a bigger pedalboard? Put the amp switcher next to the pedalboard on the floor?

Seriously, I don't know if the Archon responds to MIDI commands, or if that's just a 5 pin DIN switch, but it would be child's play for a tech to rig up a one switch DIN box, and if it's MIDI there might be a single switch controller on the market that could be programmed to switch channels.

In any case, if an amp has the tone I want, a footswitch would not be an obstacle to getting it into my grubby hands. :)

Last edited:
Back