Archon 100 Just Replaced My Other Amps

I totally get the "too many knobs" reference. I'm strictly a home player, and while I loved the Mark V it's countless array of knobs and switches are ultimately while it hasmoved on to a new, loving home. The Archon is just such good tone with so few things to monkey with. Totally happy that I made the change.

Loving indeed! While it is fun to decide from day to day what three tones I want to dial in and do so, it only took one day to learn enough to dial it quickly. yes, there are crap ton of knobs, buttons and switches, and yes they all do something and make things sound different. But you quickly learn which to use for what you are going for, and in the end it can seemingly do anything.

But I love my Custom 50 and think I might love an Archon even more, so I like both approaches when they are done right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurry up PRS, me wants the 20 watt head.
So I have been checking out the new H&K Tube Meister Custom 20 that goes down to 1 watt, and has built in red box for recording.
The latter looks better than Boogies Cab Clone technology, and those sexy blue LED lights look amazing.

But...in small letters on the rear it say designed in Germany, built in PRC.
Uh no, I have enough Chinese amps now, so I will hold out for the Archon.

If PRS came out with a low wattage Archon, I may just have to unload my rectoverb 25 head...

Corey, they've had reliability issues with a number of the H&K heads. Plus, I've played the Tubemeister heads (3 different wattage ranges) and there is no comparison... I'd go Mesa unless PRS is going to release a head. I'm faced with the possibility of having to sell my Mini Rec head now (to fund the Mark V I just bought from Bodia) and it's killing me. I'd HATE to have to sell that thing.

I am still pretty happy with my Mark Five 25, but man is it LOUD, even just turned up a hair off of zero on the ten watt setting.
I do use that Fryette with it though.

Henning says he use to hate H&K in the past, but he likes this new one.

Back