Archon 100 Just Replaced My Other Amps

I would say yes and no. It has a characteristic mid bite that is just more aggressive. You can certainly play AC/DC, but they actually had surprisingly little gain. So you'd have to turn the Archon gain WAY down and try to soften the bite a bit.

I think you might actually get closer by diming the clean channel.

For me, part of the Angus thing is his touch. He can get a note to scream or to sing. Sometimes they are really mellow and clean, sometimes they break up. He's right on the edge.

I can see why it replaces all other amps. Heard an Archon for the first time at the weekend in a band mix. It was a surprise that it was a Archon to me and not the Marshall on stage. Heard it with Eric Church as his guitarist Driver Williams had one with a Tremonti on stage for a Country gig! That thing slays.

Ever since I've been wanting to know when the 25W Head will become available as i am running a Peavey 6505MH and thats fine but lack of a pristine clean is something i need. Have been looking at a Mesa Rectoverb 25 or a Mark V 25W for that amp that can cover as many bases as i need and is 30W or under.

Its great to go to a Country gig and find out you have been given an ass kicking by a PRS Tremonti/Archon combo.

I can see why it replaces all other amps. Heard an Archon for the first time at the weekend in a band mix. It was a surprise that it was a Archon to me and not the Marshall on stage. Heard it with Eric Church as his guitarist Driver Williams had one with a Tremonti on stage for a Country gig! That thing slays.

Ever since I've been wanting to know when the 25W Head will become available as i am running a Peavey 6505MH and thats fine but lack of a pristine clean is something i need. Have been looking at a Mesa Rectoverb 25 or a Mark V 25W for that amp that can cover as many bases as i need and is 30W or under.

Its great to go to a Country gig and find out you have been given an ass kicking by a PRS Tremonti/Archon combo.

I have found that country band guitarists play some pretty wild gear these days! Took the wife to see Jason Aldean last year and his guitarists came out with guitars that only had bridge only pickups and floyd roses trems on them! It was wild show!

There are simply no rules any more when it comes to styles of music and gear.

Speaking of style, I've reached the point in life where I should be participating in the Depends forum and not a rock music forum....:eek:

There are simply no rules any more when it comes to styles of music and gear.

yeah, imagine my shock when I read at the Boogie forum that there are lots of country guitar players using Dual and Triple Recs! I was like "hud-duh-what?" I thought only the metal heads like myself and Lestoban rocked the Rectofryers!

yeah, imagine my shock when I read at the Boogie forum that there are lots of country guitar players using Dual and Triple Recs! I was like "hud-duh-what?" I thought only the metal heads like myself and Lestoban rocked the Rectofryers!

Which is ironic, considering all the Mesa Rectifier FB groups look at you like you have a third eye if you don't play metal.

I was really surprised a while back to see the lead guitar for Dave Matthews Band playing Dual recs for what is relatively light rock. I had a great time gigging classic rock with the Mini Rectifier. Those amps actually do low-gain really well, and still have that killer mid presence that sounds great for rock. I keep thinking about getting a single rec to see how it would fare against the Archon, but then I remember how much knob-turning I had to do with the mini rec and I see other posts about how inconsistent the Dual Rec is from day to day and venue to venue.
My guess is that I might be really happy with a Single Rec or Dual Rec. What keeps me out of the market is that I can't remember the last time I was so thrilled with an amp that I simply couldn't wait to get home and turn it on, or that I stopped in the middle of playing and just listened because the amp sounded so perfect. This is what my Archon experience has been. I actually bought a Roadster last year, looked at it for a couple days and then returned it. SO MANY SWITCHES AND KNOBS. If the Archon only had gain, bright and depth, I'd be fine with it.
I was running compression and overdrive with my other amps to get close to what the Archon gives without all that. I was pretty well addicted to compression, but more and more I am turning it off, and I don't need my OD808 to get a little more grit. The Archon has plenty.
As for the metal guys, I think many of them have terrible tone. It's a shame to hear how they dial in amps that I know sound really good under better circumstances.

I was really surprised a while back to see the lead guitar for Dave Matthews Band playing Dual recs for what is relatively light rock. I had a great time gigging classic rock with the Mini Rectifier. Those amps actually do low-gain really well, and still have that killer mid presence that sounds great for rock. I keep thinking about getting a single rec to see how it would fare against the Archon, but then I remember how much knob-turning I had to do with the mini rec and I see other posts about how inconsistent the Dual Rec is from day to day and venue to venue.
My guess is that I might be really happy with a Single Rec or Dual Rec. What keeps me out of the market is that I can't remember the last time I was so thrilled with an amp that I simply couldn't wait to get home and turn it on, or that I stopped in the middle of playing and just listened because the amp sounded so perfect. This is what my Archon experience has been. I actually bought a Roadster last year, looked at it for a couple days and then returned it. SO MANY SWITCHES AND KNOBS. If the Archon only had gain, bright and depth, I'd be fine with it.
I was running compression and overdrive with my other amps to get close to what the Archon gives without all that. I was pretty well addicted to compression, but more and more I am turning it off, and I don't need my OD808 to get a little more grit. The Archon has plenty.
As for the metal guys, I think many of them have terrible tone. It's a shame to hear how they dial in amps that I know sound really good under better circumstances.
I totally get the "too many knobs" reference. I'm strictly a home player, and while I loved the Mark V it's countless array of knobs and switches are ultimately while it hasmoved on to a new, loving home. The Archon is just such good tone with so few things to monkey with. Totally happy that I made the change.

Back