Anyone try a rotary switch in a 24.5" scale guitar?

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I've got an SC245 with 57/08s which sounds great and I'd like to use it with my band. However, I need to get some Strat-like in-between sounds for several songs and the push-pull switches to split the coils don't really cut it. I'm thinking about trying to use a rotary or 6-way switch (JJ Freeway switch) to get those parallel inner/outer single coil sounds but have no idea how that would sound in a 24.5" scale guitar.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

And here's a pic just because that's why we're all here

D109omn.jpg

No idea on the SC245, but that beauty in your avatar pic will nail that kind of stuff!

It will and it does! I could go on and on about the NF3, but, well, you understand. Hope you're enjoying your recent acquisition.

I'm hoping to get the SC245 to be versatile enough to play anything in our repertoire.

I've got an SC245 with 57/08s which sounds great and I'd like to use it with my band. However, I need to get some Strat-like in-between sounds for several songs and the push-pull switches to split the coils don't really cut it. I'm thinking about trying to use a rotary or 6-way switch (JJ Freeway switch) to get those parallel inner/outer single coil sounds but have no idea how that would sound in a 24.5" scale guitar.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

And here's a pic just because that's why we're all here

D109omn.jpg
Does your SC245 have the resistors on the coil splits, a la the DGT? If not, give that a whirl, might just make the coil splits usable enough!

A rotary in that guitar is an interesting idea. I like the idea of it being up where the toggle switch is now.

Reactions: TFC
Am I correct in thinking that in order to do this, the pickups will need to be 4-wire (red, black, white & braided)? I just looked and the 57/08s in this one have the white and the braided with the black wire inside, but no 4th red wire. Though I've swapped out tons of pickups and switches, I've never really understood how everything works. I just follow the diagrams. Maybe with the 3 wire I'll be able to get either the outer or inner single coils in parallel, but not both? Anyone know for sure?

Does your SC245 have the resistors on the coil splits, a la the DGT? If not, give that a whirl, might just make the coil splits usable enough!
The coil splits are fine, but it's the single coils in parallel sound that I'm looking for.

Am I correct in thinking that in order to do this, the pickups will need to be 4-wire (red, black, white & braided)? I just looked and the 57/08s in this one have the white and the braided with the black wire inside, but no 4th red wire. Though I've swapped out tons of pickups and switches, I've never really understood how everything works. I just follow the diagrams. Maybe with the 3 wire I'll be able to get either the outer or inner single coils in parallel, but not both? Anyone know for sure?

The coil splits are fine, but it's the single coils in parallel sound that I'm looking for.

The resistors are actually added to push pull pot, so I think the 3 wires are fine. Take a look at the DGT wiring diagram

Won't get you the single coils in parallel sound, though, sorry!

I just mentioned this in another thread on here. I suggest contacting PRS customer support. I have run into different numbers and functions of wires with the 57/08 pickups over the years. PRS CS gave me the information I needed on the last set I put in.

Back