Anyone has a PRS 305 or tried one? Can you tell me about it?

Raymond

Still looking to fill that single coil side of things, there isn't much info about the 305, its not even on the PRS site...

Anyone has one and what do you think of them as a single coil guitar?

I read that the middle coil is not reverse wound so there is a buzz, is that true?

Thanks

I've got a 513 and love it in humbucking and singlecoil modes. It's not a strat, but it's similar. I keep thinking I want this particular 90s Clapton Strat, but then I play the 513 and put my wallet away. :)

I don't own one, but I've played one--almost bought it, in fact. It's probably the closest thing PRS has to a great Strat. I have a nice Custom Shop Strat--that's why I didn't get the 305--but in some ways, the 305 is better than my Strat. I've wound up with a Brent Mason for the added versatility with the humbucker sounds, but if I didn't already have my Strat (it's 22 years old now!), I'd have a 305 too. The DC3 is a really nice single-coil PRS too, if you can find one.

I want to get my last guitar, famous last words, is I want something with 100% single coil. I already have stripped 58 which is nicer than any LP I've tried, I have a CU24, the quintessential PRS, and a CU22 Special with a middle single coil and coil tap. However, I don't have anything Tele or Strat like and I am looking at a 305 at the moment, alder body, maple neck, single coil and 25.5" scale length, the DC3 is 25.25" and not alder. I figure that the 305 is basically a Strat with a PRS headstock but with a set neck.

I am curious as to why I can't find any info on it on the PRS site. I like the sweet single coil sound from it on some demos I found online.

I am curious as to why I can't find any info on it on the PRS site.

... because it was discontinued last year.

True, but up until recently you could search the PRS site and find the old product info pages. It looks like they have cleaned up something though, and you can no longer find the old pages as easily.

However, by doing some obvious adjustments to the (current) links to the 2014 products, I found this:

http://www.prsguitars.com/2013/305/

305 Model Specs

Body
Body Wood Carved Alder

Neck
Number of Frets 22
Scale Length 25 1/2"
Neck Wood Rock Maple
Fretboard Wood Maple
Neck Shape Pattern Regular
Fretboard Inlays Birds

Hardware/Electronics
Bridge PRS Tremolo with Steel Components
Tuners PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
Truss Rod Cover "305"
Hardware Type Nickel
Treble Pickup 305 Single Coil
Middle Pickup 305 Single Coil
Bass Pickup 305 Single Coil
Pickup Switching Volume and Tone Control With a 5-Way Blade Pickup Selector

Option
Fretboard Option Rosewood
Hardware Option Gold

DC3 is alder, it's the NF3 that isn't (NF3 is Korina). The difference between DC3 & 305 lies in the bolt on vs set neck, pickup positioning (slant vs non-slant bridge pickup) and in sure a few other things.

True, but up until recently you could search the PRS site and find the old product info pages. It looks like they have cleaned up something though, and you can no longer find the old pages as easily.

I've found that it seems to be hit & miss - some past stuff is there, some just isn't. I wonder if it's related to how much inventory might be left in the channel or something.

I've got one.

305_beauty_shot_zps8ee44118.jpg

Great guitars. Not exactly a strat but close enough for me. One thing that really helped was lowering the pups a bit. Lots of people suggested this and once I did it, the tone was a bit more stratty. I tried many a strat and just couldn't get along with the feel. The 305 feels like a PRS, which is the best compliment I could give it.

Mine does have noise problems in all the single pup positions but not positions in 2 and 4. I do play with a fairly high amount of gain so it's somewhat to be expected.

Last edited:
I've played a couple DC3s, thinking they would share some of the tonality of my 513, but have been disappointed each time. Could have been setup issues. I definitely agree that the height of the 305/513 pups makes a huge difference.

I am very happy with my 305 even more so after changing to DR 9.5 gauge strings . Fiddling with the pickup height gives you lots of tonal options.
It is light weight compared to my other guitars and does everything a great single coil guitar should with the quality of a PRS :).

Thanks Sergio

I am coming round to some of the more plain looking top. The last guitar was a total black CU22. Now I have a Black and White guitar !

6EngNTt.jpg

They're gonna look great together, like yin and yang!

Mike (Rider) has let me play his 305 a few times and they're some really nice guitars. I love the look of yours and the maple fretboard is gonna have some serious "snap" to it, I want one just like it!
Ooh... some clear lampshades, white Lace Sensors, and some bone tuner buttons... White Riot!

Last edited by a moderator:
They're gonna look great together, like yin and yang!

Mike (Rider) has let me play his 305 a few times and they're some really nice guitars. I love the look of yours and the maple fretboard is gonna have some serious "snap" to it, I want one just like it!
Ooh... some clear lampshades, white Lace Sensors, and some bone tuner buttons... White Riot!

I thought about the 513 or even a tele, but in the end, I like the radius of PRS and this one looks killer ! and you can't neat Phase III locking tuners ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back