Angelus Custom - Neck/Heel issue and humidity

Spetz

Hey guys

First post on the forum and glad to have finally made one (unfortunately for a potentially negative topic..!). I've been using the forum for many years and have found so much useful info and insight so thank you all, I hope i will be welcomed with open arms! It's a long one...

I recently purchased a used SE Angelus Custom, the original from 2012. Long story short, I live in Indonesia and found myself an absolute bargain from a seller that wasn't quite up to scratch with any sort of guitar tech whatsoever (selling it for a friend...etc). Upon inspection, I found most the scratches and 'dings' as advertised and in the photos plus some... however also encountered a 'crack' alongside the neck and down to the heel, along with a few on the bindings of the fret board - not advertised, and already got some money back.

1.jpeg

1.2.jpeg

1.3.jpeg

Can anyone offer some insight as to whether I should take this seriously? I ask because it is extremely difficult to tell whether this is simply a crack in the finish or potentially a real crack down in the wood itself? Rather newbie question I guess, although over the years I have never encountered this with a relatively new guitar which is far from wrecked...

The 2 reasons are either related to humidity and the way he stored it over time, or from the courier that delivered it to me yesterday (he states that the crack wasn't there when he sent it, who knows, always the risk with 2nd hand stuff, which i accept). The frets are in good shape however a few are slightly (0.5mm at most) raised towards the edges, which I see as the fingerboard being very slightly warped.

My last question is related to ye olde humidity debate... over here in Indo it's always atleast 30+ degrees C and around 60-90% humidity... silica gel or no silica gel in the case and soundhole? I've always been a little reluctant to use them but in the case of owning a super nice solid rosewood acoustic, I am ready to change my mind...it arrived with about 30 packets of silica, dotted around inside the case and about 8 in the soundhole - he put them in for the shipment (air cargo..)

P.S i own a few other guitars including a custom 24 which is in fantastic shape after a year in these hot conditions...no drastic measures taken to look after it and the action is 100% perfect

Cheers

Back