An unexpected dilemma...they lied!

solacematt

So, this is a bit of an unexpected dilemma. A year ago I purchased from a GC a McCarty Hollowbody 1 in emerald green with gold hardware, birds, piezo. Some would say it's a beautiful guitar. In all honestly though, I never really made friends with it, despite the fact that it's been my main guitar since I bought it, I've always preferred my first hollowbody. So this past month I decided I would either sell it or trade it for another McCarty hollowbody that felt right and not in a color that made me feel uncomfortable.
I initially bought it from a GC in another state and was told that it was an Artist Package not really knowing much about them because I never really looked at them (I've never really found them appealing). So I found what I thought was basically a downgrade from my McCarty HB1 in another state in a color that didn't make me puke with birds and piezo. Out of sheer curiosity I asked the store if they did trades expecting a god no, but I received a yes and asked for pictures. So I sent pics to them and they said they would actually do an even trade but wanted to know a bit more about it. So I told them the condition, play and such and sent a picture of the hang tag info to PRS only to find that my guitar is not an AP but apparently just a special order 10-top with AP gold hardware.
So that brings me to the dilemma, I feel terrible just now finding this out. How should I explain this new development to the store that was going to send me their guitar and just have me send them mine back in the box with shipping taken care of. I don't want them to feel like I've duped them or tried to pull some sort of bait and switch.
Oh, and don't think for a sec I didn't give GC a call for selling me an instrument that wasn't quite what it was professed to be. Granted, I probably should have known more about it, but I'm not collector and never really put much thought into the specifics. I just know what feels good in my hands, sounds right to my ears, and works with the music I write.
There's that. Any thoughts on how I should approach this?

I don't know -- seems like you did it right there -- tell them the truth, that that was as you knew it. I mean a 10-top and artist package hardware is still worth almost? about? as much as an artist package...still should be worth more 'n a regular core equivalent...maybe. Maybe as a first-time buyer they'll still give you the even trade, but be prepared for them not to.

Yeah, I don't know, you had your heart set on that even trade, didn't you? They might still do it -- what was the condition of the McCarty HB1? I take it's "just" a core?

I'd just tell them what you learned and let them decide. It is after all a 10 top and it does have AP hardware. Only missing the paua birds and overlay on the headstock. Maybe offer to pay a little for the difference.

I think I'd talk to the manager of the store that told you it was a Artist Package guitar, explain to him you were told at purchase it was AP. Tell him you've got a trade pending with another GC, based on it being an AP guitar. The original store ought to take care of it, if they misrepresented the guitar they sold you.

I don't know -- seems like you did it right there -- tell them the truth, that that was as you knew it. I mean a 10-top and artist package hardware is still worth almost? about? as much as an artist package...still should be worth more 'n a regular core equivalent...maybe. Maybe as a first-time buyer they'll still give you the even trade, but be prepared for them not to.

Yeah, I don't know, you had your heart set on that even trade, didn't you? They might still do it -- what was the condition of the McCarty HB1? I take it's "just" a core?

Both theirs and mine are McCarty HB1's, standard birds, piezo, 10 tops; mine may be in better condition and I have the upgraded gold hardware.

I'd just tell them what you learned and let them decide. It is after all a 10 top and it does have AP hardware. Only missing the paua birds and overlay on the headstock. Maybe offer to pay a little for the difference.

I guess I'll let them know friday.

I think I'd talk to the manager of the store that told you it was a Artist Package guitar, explain to him you were told at purchase it was AP. Tell him you've got a trade pending with another GC, based on it being an AP guitar. The original store ought to take care of it, if they misrepresented the guitar they sold you.

Already called. That employee is long gone, as was that manager. The one I talked to was new and said I should either sell it on craigslist or bring it to my local GC and see what they would give me for it towards a new HBII despite telling them I prefer the McCarty's and not the new II's.

I would think your current one that you want to trade is still worth more given they're both used? They hopefully will still trade even.

Both theirs and mine are McCarty HB1's, standard birds, piezo, 10 tops; mine may be in better condition and I have the upgraded gold hardware.

I guess I'll let them know friday.

Already called. That employee is long gone, as was that manager. The one I talked to was new and said I should either sell it on craigslist or bring it to my local GC and see what they would give me for it towards a new HBII despite telling them I prefer the McCarty's and not the new II's.

I think the store/GC is still liable even if the two people are gone. Do you have the receipt, and does it state "AP"?

I'd spray paint that green sh!t.

Hey, Emerald Green and Jade are the best PRS colors out there! Besides, green guitars just sound better. ;)

I thought you were only prejudiced against blue. What gives?

GC, keeps all sales on file in their system. I know this cause they were able to retrieve a buy i did months ago and was able to see my other purchases. The only thing I am not sure of is how far they go back. But it sounds to me you have an answer from them on putting it toward a new buy at the local store. I would then buy the used one you want thru the local store and ask for a nice discount!!! Use the one you have to trade and reduce or cover the price.

GC, keeps all sales on file in their system. I know this cause they were able to retrieve a buy i did months ago and was able to see my other purchases. The only thing I am not sure of is how far they go back. But it sounds to me you have an answer from them on putting it toward a new buy at the local store. I would then buy the used one you want thru the local store and ask for a nice discount!!! Use the one you have to trade and reduce or cover the price.

They recently upgraded their systems, now they barely go back a year so they had difficulty finding my purchase and which store it was bought from. None of the stores locally have HB's and the store I was going to trade my guitar to wasn't a GC; if it was they'd probably only give me 1k for it and sell it for 2,500.00 It's up to the new manager of the store that my guitar came from and they're like yea, too old a purchase, should have done your research back then.

Well, youl have to trade for what the guy will give you, then go back on the store you got it from. Im not a lawyer, but I bet there are some on this board. You bought that guitar in "good faith" from them. They are the ones that are supposed to be the professionals and they are the ones that misrepresented the product they were selling. Their misrepresentation of the product you bought in good faith has caused you to suffer damages.
I think you have some recourse here. But you should ask a real lawyer. I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I'd chalk it up to a lack of knowledge on both parties. You would have to prove that GC knowingly and purposefully misrepresented something in order to fleece you. Like the others said, let the other dealer know the real deal and see what happens.

Couple points: Artist guitars aren't marked with a "10" on the headstock. The Artist package would have the headstock veneer, harder to tell the difference in recent years since they all get the veneer now. Gold hardware used to be a separate option. Going through my catalogs, it looks like Artist Package wasn't offered on the HBs until 2003.

Well, youl have to trade for what the guy will give you, then go back on the store you got it from. Im not a lawyer, but I bet there are some on this board. You bought that guitar in "good faith" from them. They are the ones that are supposed to be the professionals and they are the ones that misrepresented the product they were selling. Their misrepresentation of the product you bought in good faith has caused you to suffer damages.
I think you have some recourse here. But you should ask a real lawyer. I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
I think the store/GC is still liable even if the two people are gone. Do you have the receipt, and does it state "AP"?

Yes, I think they would be, but you'd have to prove it. Having it say it on the sales receipt is about the only way.

Hey, Emerald Green and Jade are the best PRS colors out there! Besides, green guitars just sound better. ;)

I thought you were only prejudiced against blue. What gives?

I was only putting myself in Matt's position. If I couldn't stand the color of a guitar I'd personally paint it, or trade it.

Although I would have a hard time deciding what to wear with a green guitar..

I'd chalk it up to a lack of knowledge on both parties. You would have to prove that GC knowingly and purposefully misrepresented something in order to fleece you. Like the others said, let the other dealer know the real deal and see what happens.

Couple points: Artist guitars aren't marked with a "10" on the headstock. The Artist package would have the headstock veneer, harder to tell the difference in recent years since they all get the veneer now. Gold hardware used to be a separate option. Going through my catalogs, it looks like Artist Package wasn't offered on the HBs until 2003.

Well that's the thing, they post things all the time that are mislabeled, so it wasn't that they were like, this isn't an AP but we're going to say it is, the guy just assumed it was due to the gold hardware. My HB is a 2002 model according to the hangtag.

Gold lame' (thong?) :oops:

Why does everything end up with Serg wearing a thong? Besides the fact that he LIKES it, I mean? ;)

In all seriousness, bummer about not having what you thought you had. Best you can do it get as much as you can for what you do have if you're not happy with it, and move on. Wish you luck! Hope all works out well...

Back