Amp with no sound.

Steven Lafferty

I have a really nice older used Fender Ultimate Chorus Amp. I purchased it used and it has worked great for about a year and suddenly i turned it on it played great of about 10 minutes and then suddenly no sound at all . I checked everything out and couldn't find the problem. I got frustrated and banged on the top of it and suddenly I had sound. But, when I turn the sound up it cuts out again. As long as I keep the sound down to like 2 and the guitar about half way up it sounds great. Soon as I turn the volume up to say 4 or 5 it cuts out until i bang on it again. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

As that is a Solid State amp, I'd say you are losing one of the transistors in the output stage. If there is a shop close to you that will scope it, take it in. If not you can try to replace the components yourself if you can find them online.

It's still an amp, you just forgot to bring the generator...
Let me rephrase that.. "If an amp doesn't make a sound in the woods, is it still an AMPLIFIER?" hmm... Philosophically, I'd offer that if it no longer can make a sound, it is no longer an "amplifier." It's an amplifier in name only and not in literal fact.

Alternative angle: "If an amplifier makes a sound in the woods, and no one is there to record it, where is Les?"

Let me rephrase that.. "If an amp doesn't make a sound in the woods, is it still an AMPLIFIER?" hmm... Philosophically, I'd offer that if it no longer can make a sound, it is no longer an "amplifier." It's an amplifier in name only and not in literal fact.

Alternative angle: "If an amplifier makes a sound in the woods, and no one is there to record it, where is Les?"

What if Les makes a sound in the woods?!;)

Does this have a traditional spring Reverb tank? If so, turn off the control and/or disconnect both RCA plugs from the tank and retest.

I have a really nice older used Fender Ultimate Chorus Amp. I purchased it used and it has worked great for about a year and suddenly i turned it on it played great of about 10 minutes and then suddenly no sound at all . I checked everything out and couldn't find the problem. I got frustrated and banged on the top of it and suddenly I had sound. But, when I turn the sound up it cuts out again. As long as I keep the sound down to like 2 and the guitar about half way up it sounds great. Soon as I turn the volume up to say 4 or 5 it cuts out until i bang on it again. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Steven, you can find the service manual with the schematic here, cut and paste this in google search, it should be printable, if you don’t know anything about electronics I wouldn’t go poking around inside, you might be able to find a tech in your area that would take a look at it for you. manualslib.com fender ultimate chorus amp

Back