Am I crazy?

Teletex

As some of you may remember I got my very first Core PRS recently, a very special Special Semi-Hollow. I have been a Fender guy since I started playing, but I have been so taken with this guitar that my number one of 7 years, a 52 RI telecaster, has been gathering dust. To the point where I have been thinking what if?

What if I sold all my Fenders to buy another PRS? Am I just suffering from Honey Moon-itis? Did any of you all sell off your non PRS stable to find more PRSi? If so, any regrets?

Last edited:
Nope. Like many others, you're searching for what you like, and would like to make your own. Because your music tastes change over time, you may feel your choice of guitars needs to change as well. Consider what @Boogie said above and realize that often your music tastes may change occasionally, but come 'round again later.

Like @Boogie, I'd agree that nothing can substitute for a good Tele because of its own characteristics, both from the esthetic and playability POV.

And , like @Boogie, I'd say that once you sell the 52 RI, you'd be hard-pressed asking yourself later on why you ever did such a thing.

It's fairly simple: Look yourself square in the mirror this evening, and ask yourself: "Would I ever regret selling my 52 RI of 7 years later on?" Then, turn in for the night and sleep on it. The answer will be clearer in the morning. (Try it. My father used to do this whenever he had a pressing concern and needed an answer. Overnight, he sorted it out in his sleep and awoke knowing what to do.)

I’m not saying you should sell your Tele...but! I will say that after I got my first US made PRS, I realized it was the company for me, and I sold my two Les Pauls to get more PRS’. And then I sold other things to get more PRS’. The only thing I didn’t sell is my first guitar, a Strat, simply for sentimental reasons. So, I don’t think it’s completely crazy. :)

Well I sold my strat to put towards my CU24 and now I can't stand to play my Agile or Ibanez, they just FEEL WRONG. Just sliding down to the 1st position and the nuts slice into my hand, why did only PRSh think of things like that?

Go with yer gut mister.

Oh, and to the OP....yes I have sold a couple to fund a PRS. Sold my strat to help fund a Silver Sky. ZERO regrets on that one!

I’m not saying you should sell your Tele...but! I will say that after I got my first US made PRS, I realized it was the company for me, and I sold my two Les Pauls to get more PRS’. And then I sold other things to get more PRS’. The only thing I didn’t sell is my first guitar, a Strat, simply for sentimental reasons. So, I don’t think it’s completely crazy. :)

I'm with Johnny on this one! I still have a Strat, but everything else is PRS.

No one can tell you what YOU should or shouldn't do. The best advice though is to wait and reassess. The only 'Fender' type guitar in the PRS stable is the Silver Sky so selling the Tele may leave a hole on your tonal palette which you may want or need to fill again at a later date. How would you feel if you had to go looking for another Tele again? Of course you could find another Tele in the future and they are available at pretty much all price points so you won't be stuck for choice but if you are looking at more PRS guitars, they don't offer a Tele type.

I don't know what other guitars you have. My collection of electrics is all PRS but I also tend to sit more in the 'Les Paul/Gibson' type double humbucker style guitars so its a little easier to find an alternative to Les Paul and others (SG, V, Firebirds, etc). I know that they have different body shapes but are still that double Humbucker type format (occasionally mini HB's or P90's) and not Single coil format that Fender tend to be known for. Again though it really depends on you - your preferences and needs. If you sell, can you replace with a PRS or do you not need that instrument in your arsenal?

I can't answer he questions that I think you should really be asking yourself. There is nothing wrong with committing to just a single brand - like PRS - but is that the right thing for you and your music? Would you be better off waiting, saving money and buying yourself time to decide whether or not the other instrument(s) have a place in you collection?

Do what feels right to you.

PRSes sound and feel right in creating the sounds I want, so I sold my other guitars off many years ago. I have no regrets over doing so. I found a sound, and have stuck with it for quite a long time. I’m right where I want to be.

Other people feel differently, and for them other ways of getting their tone from the instrument work just as well. They aren’t wrong, and I’m not right, because there is no wrong way or right way when it comes to your personal tone.

Except modelers (OK, seriously, just kidding about modelers ;)).

What if I sold all my Fenders to buy another PRS? Am I just suffering from Honey Moon-itis? Did any of you all sell off your non PRS stable to find more PRSi? If so, any regrets?
I was also a F guy, but all my guitars were F parts or aftermarket equivalents, crafted into mongrels of varying quality.

Buying a PRS in 2006 changed the way I thought about what makes a guitar great. Eventually, I sold off all the partscasters except one. That one, I have made some changes and now it's on the same level IMHO. That was the first one I built and I had all the parts custom made to my specs. It's also the first guitar I bought after getting out of college and having a real job so I could afford something better than what I had, so there was some sentimental value that made it worth more to me than what the market dictated. However, that whole process of shifting away completely really took about 5 years, maybe more.

So, given my experience, maybe just be patient and see where the journey leads you. Unless it's a Dodge Journey, in which case, god be with you, you're going to need it.

Back