Aftermarket parts

loocnmad

Specializing in Dental Law
I'm not promoting any specific shops or brands but I thought it would be helpful to share my experience with some aftermarket parts. Would like to hear what others have done and what their experiences have been. Don't want it to become a bashing thread so try to stick to the facts.

Pickup rings:
Bought a set of flamed maple pickup rings off ebay from John Guilford. The listing said the pics were the exact ones you would get but they didn't match. I sent him an email and he personally called me back the next day to apologize. Unfortunately, I was rushing my dog to the emergency room and, in my emotional state, I wound up being a rather rude to him. He was very understanding, though, and shipped out a new set better than what I originally hoped for. I emailed a few days later to apologize for being so rude and he was very gracious about the whole thing.

Switch tips:
Bought 1 ebony and 1 maple switch tip from crazyparts.de. I followed the instructions on their site to file down the bump on the switch and used a set of calipers to make sure it was perfectly flat. I got no more than a few millimeters in when the ebony tip split in half. The maple tip was fine. I emailed them to let them know and their response was I broke it and it wasn't their problem. I replied to say I followed their directions and the response was they didn't believe me.

Backplates
Bought a set of flamed maple backplates from Bob's Custom Plates. I think he makes them to order and they came out great. I thought I ruined them when I did a thin coat of water based satin polycrylic and they curved up like a piece of bacon. Put them on the "I screwed that up" shelf and moved on. The next week I was getting something out of the closet and noticed they had flattened back out. I did about 4 more thin coats of the polycrylic and didn't have any other problems. I guess the water base warped the wood until it fully dried out. Noted for next time.

Back