Advice please on buying Nitro sc245 or stripped 58.

markj

I have just sold my Les paul and I'm on the market for a replacement. I already own the latest custom 24 and find the guitar fantastic. My experience with prs has made me decide to get rid of my Gibson and buy a singlecut prs. I have been looking at a Stripped 58 0r a New old stock nitro 245. Is there much difference in the pups? Any advice from forum members and owners of these guitars would be very welcome.

Last edited:
Pickups are the same (if you're talking about the 2009 245?) - but for the classic LP sounds I prefer the two-piece bridge of the Stripper, so I'd do that personally if given those options.

I'm the opposite - I'd choose nitro and the one-piece wrapover!

The Sunburst 245 is the slightly higher spec guitar, so if you can get it for a good price I'd say it was the better buy.

The Sunburst 245 is the slightly higher spec guitar, so if you can get it for a good price I'd say it was the better buy.

I am with Twinfan.

I agree with this too. All the production Ted 245s I've owned with nitro and the wrap tail sounded better to me than the SC58s.

They're both great guitars, so you can't go wrong either way,

Having owned both wrap tail and 2 Piece bridge SCs, the 2 piece sounds a bit more vintage, and a little "woodier." So the Stripped 58 would be my preference.

Folks who prefer other tones might like the wrap better.

I'd also choose it on how it sounds, the higher spec isn't going to make the guitar sound better.

I'd also choose it on how it sounds, the higher spec isn't going to make the guitar sound better.

Very true if they're in the same store, but if you're buying online from two different sources that's not possible. I don't know if the Sunburst series got any better woods than the regular production models, but if so you could argue they may sound better?

From PRS I have an SC58, a 2013 SC245, a Ted DC245, and a Paul's guitar. I currently own or have owned about a dozen Gibson LP's...R9, R8, R7, '68 Custom, Standard Faded, etc. I find the SC58 and new SC245 with the two-piece bridge to be closest to my Les Paul's overall in terms of feel and sound. Both of my singlecuts have 57/08's, the two-piece bridge, etc...essentially the same guitar with only cosmetic differences. My Ted and Paul's guitar wraptails have a little more twang than any of my LP's, but that may be since they are lighter, double cuts, etc.

Keep in mind that the two-piece bridge on the PRS is considerably different than the ones that come on Gibsons. They are rock solid, well built, heavy duty pieces. You don't have to deal with bent screws, buzzing wires, leaning posts, etc. like you do on many gibsons.

Regardless of whichever you choose, prepare to be pleased with the overall feel and playability of the guitar. To me the PRS Singlecuts are like an improved, more playable version of an LP. One of the other great things about them is that the stock pickups and electronics are killer...no need to tinker...just play!

Very true if they're in the same store, but if you're buying online from two different sources that's not possible. I don't know if the Sunburst series got any better woods than the regular production models, but if so you could argue they may sound better?

True enough, then it becomes a tougher choice.

Back