Advice on 1991 CE24

jay

Happy Member
Hello,
I have found a 1991 CE24 nearby and I'm thinking about it, as I understand it is much appreciated by many players.
Shall I ask for any documentation that should go with the guitar? Nowadays there is the handwritten tag, I don't know if back in the days there was anything similar.

In general, is there something I should check in particular?
From the photo, I see there is a three-way switch and the seller wrote that he has the original too. The orginal has to be 5-way rotary, right?

Thanks a lot
J

You need Carl.. They had a spec tag back then. If you get it great, if not I wouldn't worrie about it. Not to much to look for out of the ordinary , body ,neck , tuners, pickups and electronics. There great guitars. I thought the early ones came either way 3 way or rotary

If you can't get the spec tag the juicy tidbits will be inside the pickup cavities. I have a '91 also, here's what mine say..

IMG_7780_zpsqzfijodm.jpg

IMG_7777_zpskmjbfena.jpg

Is the seller local? Unless you know how to check guitar neck yourself, it might be worth $50 to have a luthier look at it.... It's not hard to learn how to check, but it is crucial and can easily be the most expensive common issue with older guitars.

One perk will be the Alder. CE's had an all alder body till 89 and then an alder back and maple top was an option after. So it may be full alder or alder maple. Mahogany backs started in 95. The alder ones seem more sought after. My 90 is all alder and I love it.

The 3 way switch could be standard. I don't remember when they started with the rotary but it was around then. The pups will be HFS/Vintage. It will have dots, not moons.

Good luck!

If you can get any additional case candy with it, that's always good and doesn't hurt.

Some of the older CE models developed cracks near the neck joint, which is pretty normal and nothing to be alarmed about on bolt-ons. Almost every Ibanez older than 15 years or so has the same issue.

Just make sure the cracks aren't excessively huge, and they are only finish cracks.

Reactions: jay
Is the seller local? Unless you know how to check guitar neck yourself, it might be worth $50 to have a luthier look at it.... It's not hard to learn how to check, but it is crucial and can easily be the most expensive common issue with older guitars.
Is there a specific issue you think he should check for? I`ve not aware of a particular problem that year might have other than a cracked neck pocket, which would be easy to see. I`ve bought and sold about 40 PRS and never had a dog. I`ve had a number I didn`t care to keep, but I fund new purchases by doing this.

No particular issues to look out for except the neck pocket cracks on the older and abused guitars. The original had the five way rotary vs the McCarty style switching. You do have to enlarge the hole for the three way switch to get it in the right position so it makes it a bit harder to go back to the 5 way rotary. I have both and like the three way switch better. Unless it is totally thrashed, I wold not hesitate because they are also unto play.

I've heard of EG's having a neck crack problem but not CE's. Never seen one and only heard of ones after much abuse.

Is there a specific issue you think he should check for? I`ve not aware of a particular problem that year might have other than a cracked neck pocket, which would be easy to see. I`ve bought and sold about 40 PRS and never had a dog. I`ve had a number I didn`t care to keep, but I fund new purchases by doing this.
The specific issue is a 25 year old guitar.
99.9% chance it is ok... But I wouldn't want to be the 0.1% schmuck holding a warped neck, or one in serious need of a refretting job.
I'm just cautious.

Maybe because I`m old and have been playing for over half a century............I just play the guitar and sight the neck angle...no money spent.

Maybe because I`m old and have been playing for over half a century............I just play the guitar and sight the neck angle...no money spent.
That half century of experience serves you well! :)

Thanks to everybody. I will check this neck crack thing in particular.
I don't know any luthier that I trust and that could come with me and I will ask the seller but it possible that I will be able to look into pu cavities only after having bought it.

One thing I've noticed from a photo is that it has strap buttons that are more similar to a Les Paul one rather than those big ones present on all PRSi I've seen.
For the rest, the guitar seems legit (though pictures are awful). Fakes is the thing I an most worried about.

http://imgur.com/qAAhfPK

http://imgur.com/mqXJtol

http://imgur.com/5fJ4CE8

After seeing the pics, I agree with Sergio. It looks like it`s been very well taken care of.

I've heard of EG's having a neck crack problem but not CE's. Never seen one and only heard of ones after much abuse.
I have a ce22 with cracks around neck pocket. Guitar is very stable even with heavy trem use.

The only thing I'd look for is the money to buy it.

Agreed. That's got all the makings of an epic CE there.

That year should have a one-piece MilCom trem; hard to tell from the photos. One piecers don't have the three big bolts holding the saddle tray and the block together. Thats more of a collector value thing; you can always get a new MannMade replacement of the exact same spec.

Check the tuners - the wingers can slip after awhile. Tune to pitch, grab the string and yank pretty hard, repeat, see if it holds well. Try some big bends that can tell you as well.

Other than the first run EGs, I don't know of any bolt-on PRSes with frequent neck pocket issues. These things are rock solid, I have several and have owned many.

Good luck!

I've seen a few with neck cracks on eBay and reverb but to put it in perspective, neck cracks were the least of their worries!

Super clean guitar from the pictures. Serial number also seem to check out. 1 in the first digit for 1991, 7 for CE and the rest in the 1991 range. Ruger is better at this one than I am so I refer to his knowledge on this one.

I'd jump on it.

image.jpg

Mine!!!
Maybe I'm weird tonight. I can't believe this really sound as good as it seems to me now.
If it does, it might be my new number 1.

It also has a little bit of flame, which I was not expecting...

image.jpg

NGD thread to follow. Thanks to all who strongly suggested to go and pick it up.

Back