Advice Needed: New S2 or Used Studio or ?

buddysunshine

Hey thanks in advance for any advice here. Have had a hard time finding guitars to demo and looking like I will just buy online. New experience 2021.

I owned an original PRS from 1985. Loved it. Wore it out and traded it years ago.

Im looking for a new guitar that can get both LP and Fender sounds. PRS is in my sights but man, so many options today.

Im thinking S2 New or maybe sleuthing out a deal on a used core or studio.

The studio model from 2011 looks like a good fit for me. Can anyone attests to the build quality compared to a new S2?

I also like the McCarty 594. How would the S2 594 compare to the 2011 Studio?

Im trying NOT to go hog wild here and spend 5K on a new guitar right now. Im a professional working in the NY area and this last year has been so challenging.

I will use new guitar in the studio and live. Im looking for the versatility to allow me to bring just one guitar to gigs and sessions etc.

Thanks

I'd go with the 2011 core studio. It's a really great one! S2 has always left me trying to swap pickups and electronics, then I'd go all these lengths just to end up selling or trading in the end. If a used core is an option, I'd always choose the used core every day and twice on mondays.

You can't go wrong either way, I would recommend choosing based on the features that you want.

I have three S2's, and a recent 594 WL Artist. Yes, the 594 is the best instrument, a core model will always win in an apples to apples comparison. But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another S2 if it had certain features that I wanted that weren't available in a core model. For example, my S2 Studio, I love dearly. I'm not necessarily recommending that for you (although it is a killer guitar), I'm just saying I like it because it has true single coils and a Starla pickup, and there's nothing in the Core line that has that. For you, maybe the 2011 Studio is the better choice if you prefer the narrowfields. Either way, having those 2 and 4 position "in between" pickup sounds is a great bonus on a PRS.

I still play my S2's a lot, as far as playability I really have no preference for the 594 over the S2's, they're all equally good. The pickups and electronics (and trem bridge, in the case of models that have it) are where the components on the core models are a step up. But the only real problem I've had with my S2's are a bad blade switch and occasional scratchy pots. Easy stuff to deal with if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Anyways, that's my standard advice I usually give to those wondering which line of guitars to choose from, SE vs S2 vs Core - you'll get the most from having the features that you want, PRS doesn't make a bad guitar.

I love my '11 Studio. The Narrowfields are fatter than a strat single coil by quite a bit. But to my ears they sound closer to a strat pickup than they do to a P90 or conventional humbucker. I often turn 'em down to about 8 on the volume knob to reduce the heat a little bit. The #2 and #4 switch positions sound surprisingly strat-like to my ears.

They will sound quite different from each other. I’d suggest you try to play them both. The S2 has a more single coil sound to my ears, so I went with that. And I believe that the Starla bridge pickup is grossly underrated. You may even want to consider the 509. It does SSH, HSH, and other conceivable 3 pickup combinations. It’s much more refined than the S2 Studio, so they both have a place in my arsenal.

Thanks....

I came across a 2011 Custom 22

Its now in the mix. Idk what to do?

Buying without tryin is hard

Thanks....
I came across a 2011 Custom 22
Its now in the mix. Idk what to do?
Buying without tryin is hard
The Cu22 is great, but it's just another great 2 HB guitar. But if it's versatility you're after, I like the core Studio, especially after hearing a really good session player go through a wide variety of riffs on his, touching many genres all without even getting up from his seat. Lotsa great tones in that one, and it's on my personal 'must eventually buy' list as well.

Last edited:
Back