Advice for Potentially Purchasing PRS?

tlandonevans

Howdy,

I'm in the market for an electric guitar. I have been playing guitar (acoustic) for about four years. I'm the frontman in a five piece country band. I just play rhythm acoustic, but I've been wanting to get an electric for a while now to play at home and potentially add some flavor to our live shows. Common wisdom would tell me to get a Telecaster. However, we already use two telecasters in our band (we have a lot of diversity though. In addition to drums and bass, the three other musicians combine to play electric guitar, acoustic guitar, steel guitar, mandolin, banjo, accordion, and keyboard) and I feel like a third might just be overkill.

When we recorded our demo, our guitar player used a PRS SC245 that had some twang, but also had some crunch that sounded really cool. Also, one of my favorite guitar tones in country music is that of Roger Ray, the former guitar/steel player for Jason Boland & The Stragglers. I know he used a PRS (Don't know what model) for a lot of his stuff, I'll include a video link at the bottom. I'm thinking that I could probably find a PRS that will still sound good playing country licks, but that will have a different flare than a Tele. I've done some reading by just googling "PRS country music" and found some results, which is actually what lead me here. People were suggesting the Brent Mason signature. Problem is, I'm a college student, and can't really afford to drop $2K on a guitar when it's not even going to be my primary instrument.

I would ideally like to find something in the $500-$800 range. If this isn't doable, just tell me and I guess I'll have to wait. I'm also cool with swapping out pickups if that's something that is plausible. I am working on selling or trading a Takamine EF508KC right now. Yesterday, someone offered me a PRS Tremonti SE and $350 for it. From everything I've read, these seem like good guitars for the price. But, probably not for my music. What do you think? Could it work with the right amps and pedals? Could I put a tele pickup on it? Is that ridiculous?

TLDR: Best way to get aggressive country sound not from a Tele under $1K?

Roger Ray PRS videos:

(Here's a closeup of the guitar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bHlsUXqyU
(This is a better audio sample): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXuBmGNZkJo

www.landonevansband.com

Last edited:
Welcome! In the video it looks like he's playing a PRS McCarty which were made from 1994 to about 2010, and after that there have been a few different variations on the McCarty theme. A McCarty is a guitar that could last you a lifetime. You can find them used as cheap as $1000, but that's rare - probably 1300 is the more usual low price for a well used player in a less desirable finish.

You might also try finding a used PRS S2, you can find those at the top end of your price range. Or, if you got the SE Tremonti (1st generation with stoptail?) and put in some high end pickups, you would probably be able to achieve a similar vibe and keep your cash outflow lower.

Beef,

Those McCarty guitars look pretty sweet. I'll add it to my growing collection of "When I Become A Millionaire" guitars, haha.

The S2 might be an option.

Yes, it's the stoptail bridge on the Tremonti. Switching out pickups might be a good route because this guy is going to give me the cash to do so with the trade. What type of pickups would you recommend?

Beef

Those McCarty guitars look pretty sweet. I'll add it to my growing collection of "When I Become A Millionaire" guitars, haha.

The S2 might be an option.

Yes, it's the stoptail bridge on the Tremonti. Switching out pickups might be a good route because this guy is going to give me the cash to do so with the trade. What type of pickups would you recommend?

You have a bit of a quandary here. The McCarty is a very good option here because you can split the pickups and get the single coil tones that get close to a Tele or a Strat. The Tremonti, even with new pups, isn't going to get you those tones. So, $800 for a PRS with some twang, my recommendation is to find a CE22 or CE24 with the 5 way rotary switch. Very usable single coils and the maple neck makes the twang snappy. You can find them used for $850 - $1000 if you look a while. And don't worry about it being your backup guitar. After two gigs she will be your #1.

Oh, your band sounds great and you have the voice for country.

Last edited:
Oh, your band sounds great and you have the voice for country.

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

I'm researching everything y'all are throwing at me and having fun with it. Nice to get the thoughts of people with good guitar knowledge.

Those CE22 and CE24s look pretty rare, at least from what I'm seeing. Still, that might be okay since it's not urgent that I get the guitar soon. It'll give me more time to research and find a good deal. However, I did find a couple PRS SE Custom 24s locally for pretty darn cheap. What is the status of these? Are they like the CE24s? I just see the number similarity and wonder if this might be like the budget version, kind of like a Mexican Tele to an American Tele. If it was, that might be a good route for me to go until I get the skills (and cash) to upgrade to something a little nicer.

What do you think? Thanks!

Go S2 singlecut. Ive been able to pull all kinds of great tones out of mine. Including some country licks. You can tap the coils, and get the single coil sound or go full humbucker. AND the pickups are great, so no change there.

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

I'm researching everything y'all are throwing at me and having fun with it. Nice to get the thoughts of people with good guitar knowledge.

Those CE22 and CE24s look pretty rare, at least from what I'm seeing. Still, that might be okay since it's not urgent that I get the guitar soon. It'll give me more time to research and find a good deal. However, I did find a couple PRS SE Custom 24s locally for pretty darn cheap. What is the status of these? Are they like the CE24s? I just see the number similarity and wonder if this might be like the budget version, kind of like a Mexican Tele to an American Tele. If it was, that might be a good route for me to go until I get the skills (and cash) to upgrade to something a little nicer.

What do you think? Thanks!

The SE Cu24 won't coil split.

Here's an example. Being in Country, you may know of Johnny Hiland.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/5014018578.html

These are usually $1800 used so this is a screamin deal. (I'm not affiliated in any way and haven't tried to respond).

I have a Ce24 that came to me with push pulls on both vol and tone. It had hfs/vb but I put square 5708s in it. I'm guessing it's very simular to 408 switching, I like it. There are some fender tones to be had.

My only advice is to redact the word "potentially" and buy the one you like the most. Then, buy the other one.

Check out the core and S2 Mira. Get one used. When you coil tap, I think you`ll get enough of a twang to be happy. Most PRS guitars are axes you`ll never sell.

That's only true if it's an older model. The last few years they actually do have coil splits.

They also have wide/thin necks though, and a wide/fat might be more comfortable for a lot of acoustic players. I think it's worth at least checking out though. :)

Here's an example. Being in Country, you may know of Johnny Hiland.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/5014018578.html

These are usually $1800 used so this is a screamin deal. (I'm not affiliated in any way and haven't tried to respond).
That's an awesome deal. DO IT NOW if you can!

Used S2 Starla. Done. :)

Check out the core and S2 Mira. Get one used. When you coil tap, I think you`ll get enough of a twang to be happy. Most PRS guitars are axes you`ll never sell.

A Mira or Starla were the 1st 2 guitars that popped into my head when reading the original post.

Go S2 singlecut. Ive been able to pull all kinds of great tones out of mine. Including some country licks. You can tap the coils, and get the single coil sound or go full humbucker. AND the pickups are great, so no change there.
I have been playing ( and building, more acoustics until recently) for 48 years- Guild acoustics[dreads and maple jumbos] and 335 and LP's in Gibsons, Strats, a couple Teles-- my S2 Singlecut is the most versatile of all and worth twice its price (my first PRS)- find one, buy it, be amazed- truly. No bull.

Back