Adding 3 way push pull to CU22

Ron

I'm about to change out the 5 way rotary on my 2008 CU 22 to a 3 way with push pull. A few years ago I replaced the Dragon IIs with 59/09s and love them. I was just wondering if anyone here had made a similar change and your experience with that change.

Also curious if anyone had switched positions with tone and pickup selector in this arrangement.

Thanks for your input!
Ron

To fit the toggle in the rotary hole, you need to ream the hole out to be big enough to fit the toggle. I did it on my CU22. Don't use a drill as you potentially can chip the clear coat. Hand reamers are generally inexpensive at a hardware store. I prefer the toggle/coil tap just for ease of switching. I've occasionally switched back and forth on the guitar. You get different sounds with the rotary in how it's wired. Keep in mind when you coil tap that you'll get a little hum when the pickups are tapped, similar to a single coil. Haven't changed positions of knobs, but that should be easy enough.

Thanks vchizzle! I wasn't aware of needing that modification. I bought the 3 way from PRS and that wasn't mentioned. I have a great tech so I'm not too concerned.

Good advice!

No problem Ron. Easy stuff for any tech, even for DIYers. Hope you get the controls laid out to your preference.

Reactions: Ron
Bodia that looks amazing! How do like the mini toggles? I've put off changing out the rotary for a long time, I hope I like the change with the push/pull.

Bodia that looks amazing! How do like the mini toggles? I've put off changing out the rotary for a long time, I hope I like the change with the push/pull.

Thanks, Ron. I dig the mini toggles. Essentially 408 switching. Works well, easy to hit on the fly, and sounds great!

Reactions: Ron
3-way installed and love it! No mods were required to the guitar, it dropped right in. So far I haven't picked up any 60 cycle hum, even sitting next to my fluorescent desk lamp.

Loving having the tonal options I just wouldn't reach for as often with the rotary. That's as close to a new guitar as I can get right now. But this CU22 has been my number one for nine years since I bought it!

Also I left all controls in their original position, no need to change.

I really screwed up and sold a great CU22 because I didn't want to change the rotary to a 3-way and change the pickups. Don't make my mistake. 59/09's are fabulous pickups in that, or just about any model. It could very well end up being your #1.

Back