adapting to osteoarthritis

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
Ive had this condition in the thumbs for a few years and its degenerative. I'm not alone. I know others (including guitarists) with this.

Because I play all the time, I've been able to adapt without consciously trying. The body is superb at compensating for pain. I now have virtually stopped using my left thumb entirely when fretting. Proper barre chords are a thing of the past.

I've just discovered that recent worsening is affecting using guitars with hefty thick necks. The larger necks touch the joint of metacarpal and 1st phalanx. This is sensitive and painful. Neither of my PRS guitars have these thick necks, but I want to try to adapt to those that do. So I will be using these a lot more. If I succeed I wont have to get rid of those guitars. Its as simple as that.

If anyone here is experiencing this the condition. Just keep going guys! The hands will figure it out for themselves.

Ive had this condition in the thumbs for a few years and its degenerative. I'm not alone. I know others (including guitarists) with this.

Because I play all the time, I've been able to adapt without consciously trying. The body is superb at compensating for pain. I now have virtually stopped using my left thumb entirely when fretting. Proper barre chords are a thing of the past.

I've just discovered that recent worsening is affecting using guitars with hefty thick necks. The larger necks touch the joint of metacarpal and 1st phalanx. This is sensitive and painful. Neither of my PRS guitars have these thick necks, but I want to try to adapt to those that do. So I will be using these a lot more. If I succeed I wont have to get rid of those guitars. Its as simple as that.

If anyone here is experiencing this the condition. Just keep going guys! The hands will figure it out for themselves.

Awesome PSA!

Hope you can figure something out! Getting rid of guitars is never good unless you’re getting more PRS in the process.

That sucks about neck size. I learned early on that skinny necks make my hand cramp. I'd be in trouble if fat ones start to bother me.

i’m switching to pedal steel when my thumbs clamp up.

shobudprofessional.JPG

Some aspects of aging hands suck. It does help to keep using them. I am starting to find there are some chords I may just give up on. I should probably know more alternatives anyway.

I thought for about 40 years I should spring for a pedal steel, then just got over it, or too lazy to learn something new. Maybe if my hands get bad enough.

Just my 2 cents.
As a person with arthritis and pinched nerves, etc. *ALL* my guitars have thin necks, as we age we don't get stronger or more flexible, all we can do is do our best to maintain what we have. Fat necks are one of the first things that went out the door for me when this became an issue, second was solid bodies. HBs with thin necks are all I can use and I'm OK with it.

Just curious but is the condition related in any way with the advent of smart phone?

my associate, his name doesn’t matter, but he says you guys should try some kind of herbal derivative with a high ‘cbd’ content, as this is a treatment used on eventing horses for a similar condition.

my associate, his name doesn’t matter, but he says you guys should try some kind of herbal derivative with a high ‘cbd’ content, as this is a treatment used on eventing horses for a similar condition.
thanks
I just did a search. So far 99% seems for recreational use. Still looking...

An Ausie pal on another forum recommended turmeric. I tried it for several months. Not sure it made any difference. Now he says his condition is worse and turmeric no longer touches it.

I wish you the best as you try to work in new approaches to fingering chords on the guitar. While I have not had your problem, I have had tendon issues in my left hand which caused be to have to change the way I fingered certain chords (as well as do therapy etc.). The good news, as you mentioned is that the mind is a wonderful thing and after a while it will permanently remember your new chord grips. So go for it. Would like to hear how things work out.

Thank you CVS.

I tried once to make a short recording showing thumbless playing but never figured out the right angle for shooting.

Much of the adaptation involves using the right elbow to hold the lower bout firmly. This bracing allows finger pressure on the fretboard without thumb support. There is much more to it, but that helps a lot.

Sorry bro. I feel your pain...litterally. Fortunately, my thumbs might be one of the only things... that I don't have problems with...at the moment anyway...

I decided after my crash that I would never allow the fact that I wasn't going to be able to do a lot of things that I used to do, or at least do them as well, keep me from doing those very things.

I know life in general gets painfully frustrating for me at times BUT lets face it, it's gonna get even more challenging as we age...we are human, we are fallible and we are definitely breakable. Breakable both physically and mentally. Overcoming, pain and frustration are both HUGE facts of life, (for me anyway). However, that same pain, motivates me and it reminds me that I'm still here...and being "here" means I HAVE to keep fighting to move foward everyday with everything I've got! As long as do that, and never quit..I'm golden!

Thanks for posting this @merciful-evans, I hope in someway this helps you or anyone dealing with this kind of thing. I'll close with two of my favorite quotes of all time then I'll shut up. Good luck you got this man!

"A man can be beaten in two ways, if he gives up or if he dies" ~Richard "Mac" Macowicz

"It is acceptable to take a knee, but laying down is never an option" ~Thomas Steele Russell

Last edited:
I've had three hand surgeries, and another for the then dead ulnar nerve in my left arm. If you are anywhere near Baltimore, I would strongly recommend that you see Dr. Raymond Wittstadt, formerly of the Curtis National Hand Center at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. He is a musician, has had hand surgery, and has had musicians come from Europe to have his help. He is not a cut first guy, and can also funnel you to a therapist at The Curtis National Hand Center who has helped both my younger son and I tremendously. Her name is Lauren Valdata. I was seen by other doctors before Dr. Wittstadt, and knew within a minute that he was very different. My tendon and nerve problems are being dealt with, and my ongoing therapy has me playing with only minor arthritic pain. Aside from my divorce, it's the smartest thing I've ever done. Good luck.

This year I've started to get a lot of stiffness and some pain in my left hand fingers. Not yet 50! Had a test for rheumatoid arthritis, but fortunately that came back clear. Got cortisone shots, which helped, but only for 3 months. Reading this thread, I'm wondering if it could be early osteoarthritis. Along with that, my left pinkie has developed "trigger finger", which was at first annoying, and now really painful (in addition to not working properly.) And to make things even worse (!!), after badly slicing through my left thumb tendon last year and reconstructive surgery, I don't have full mobility in the thumb (no more thumb over the neck chords. )

I'm going to get surgery on the trigger finger shortly, but I'm really starting to worry about my future playing guitar. I can't imagine what it would be like if I ever have to stop playing .:(

Back