Abysmal customer service :(

tonac

Hello all,

I had no one to turn to after experiencing horrible customer service from PRS.

A liitle background about me. I own 2 Core Customs, one 24 Piezo and the other 24 Floyd.

Last week something unfortunate happened while changing strings, conditioning fretboard etc. I wanted to remove the tremolo to clean the cavity behind it and while doing it, 1 tremolo spring broke, and a piece of it stayed stuck in it (see photo). I can't remove it with the plyers, so I have contacted PRS Tech Center for advice. Please see below the conversation (Atrocious):

May 21, 2024, 23:18 EDT

Hello good PRS folks,
1 Tremolo spring broke on my Custom 24 when I removed strings to condition fretboard and piece was left inside the tremolo block; How I can remove it and replace the spring? The piece is so small (see photo) that I can not pick it with tweezers or long nose plyers. I do not know what to do.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Thank you,

Hello Sxxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to PRS Guitars. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do but repalce the tremolo bridge. You can send the guitar into the PRS Tech Center to have the tremolo replaced. This is a non-warranty issue, the cost for the service is $550 plus $120 for shipping. Please let me know if you would like to ship the guitar to PRS. Please note, the Gen 3 tremolo bridge is not for offer outside of the PTC.
Kind regards,
Bxxxxx
Customer Service
PRS Guitars
410-643-9970

Hello Bxxxxx,

Thank you for replying back.

Couple of things:
1. I am based in Canada, so it would be inconvenient and way too expensive for me to send the guitar to you.
2. My guitar is Custom 24 Piezo
3. Why can't you send me the brass tremolo block only, and I could have my local PRS dealer install it? All the other respected guitar manufacturers have no issues with doing this.
4. Maybe the metal from the tremolo spring was defective, so it gave up early. Who knows.

Could you please talk to one of your experienced colleagues at the shop and ask for their opinion on the possible ways to help me resolve this? Maybe the spring in my current tremolo block could somehow be drilled out or something. I need more solutions than what you have suggested.
I have paid 4k for this guitar, and I am hoping that the PRS as the manufacturer would stand behind their product, even if it was bought used from a PRS dealer.

Thank you,

Sxxxxx

Hello Sxxxx,

I understand this is disappointing and may not be the answer you were hoping for. This is the best solution to assist you with taking care of the problem.

Kind regards,
Bxxxx
Customer Service
PRS Guitars
410-643-9970

What the Heck!!!!

I would really appreciate some help here. I just can't believe that the company I have had so much respect for would drop the ball.
All the possible solutions are welcomed :)

Thanks to all,

Tonac

Tremolo Cavity Block

Picture wont load, can you host it somewhere else?

EDIT: Possible solution could be a screw extractor bit. The $670 service is insane! I love the brand, but this is nuts

Can you see it now ?
Yeah, I would either take it to a reputable technician in my area or attempt to use a screw extractor. The issue with the screw extractor is that the pin could potentially go even deeper into the block, making the extraction process messy. I've measured the depth of the hole in my Gen 3 block, and it's 0.5 inches, which is twice the length of the pin. Frankly, I'm out of ideas, brother.

Other than maybe consider the MannMade block replacement. https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/parts/bridge-parts/blocks/

Yes, the pic loaded. Serious question - if you have a tech who can install a new brass trem block, is it possible they can remove this one, push the spring end out from the other side, then just put it back? Regardless of the cost you were quoted, that’s what I’d look into before shipping the guitar anywhere.

EDIT: Just saw Simon’s post. I’d assumed the hole went all the way through. So I’m gonna say my idea won’t work. If you do drill it, I’d recommend a drill press so you don’t veer off into the brass And if you do replace the block, John Mann is the man.

Yes, the pic loaded. Serious question - if you have a tech who can install a new brass trem block, is it possible they can remove this one, push the spring end out from the other side, then just put it back? Regardless of the cost you were quoted, that’s what I’d look into before shipping the guitar anywhere.
The pin is not going all the way to the other side :(

Unfortunately no warranty; I have bought some 1mm drill bits and I'll try to grind through.
I have checked screw extractors, all too big.
Wish me luck.
Brother, I believe in you, but you will **** this. Pay someone to do it for you so at least you can shift the blame away from yourself

I'd be surprised if you can drill the spring material. Probably break the bit trying it.

I think I'd just drill another hole for your spring to fit in.

In fact, I might try to drill a hole further in as close to the old hole as you can get.

My thinking is that if you drill close enough to hole with broken part in it, you MIGHT be able to use a drift pin and force broken spring through into the new hole and use a pick tool to get it out that way.

The part of the old hole that is undamaged should still be able to accept a new spring since mating surface would be undisturbed.

Just thinking out loud here.

Just had another thought.

If you try my suggestion and it works, you COULD drill the damaged area out bigger and drive a steel pin in then drill THAT to correct size and location for new spring.

If you can find a Brass pin and drive that in the bigger hole and drill that it would probably wear better than a mild steel pin.

If the measurements of @Simon Says are correct (and I have zero reason to doubt him), I would find a hole punch the size of that hole (well, slightly smaller actually) and pound it down further into the hole. You should be able to pound it down enough to have a new spring still sit properly in that hole. The only other thing I can think of is using the other spring hole (or were you running 5 springs?). If you were running 4 springs, you still have the center hold to use for that 4th spring. I have zero experience with setting those bad boys up, so I do not know if that is a no no with 3 springs being next to each other, but another thought! Best wishes on resolving this.

If the measurements of @Simon Says are correct (and I have zero reason to doubt him), I would find a hole punch the size of that hole (well, slightly smaller actually) and pound it down further into the hole. You should be able to pound it down enough to have a new spring still sit properly in that hole. The only other thing I can think of is using the other spring hole (or were you running 5 springs?). If you were running 4 springs, you still have the center hold to use for that 4th spring. I have zero experience with setting those bad boys up, so I do not know if that is a no no with 3 springs being next to each other, but another thought! Best wishes on resolving this.
MULTIPLE TWSS

Lots of fairly straight-forward fixes have been suggested here. I'd probably go with the "buy a new brass block from John Mann" idea myself, if I could be bothered (honestly, I'd probably just move the spring as I only use three; then again I disconnect them at the claw when I want to remove tension for cleaning). But am I the only one who thinks accusing PRS of "abysmal customer service" because they aren't bending over backwards to fix an out-of-warranty trem block that has had a spring broken off in it by the owner is a little melodramatic? I'm in Canada, and when I mess up my guitars I don't call the instrument manufacturer to fix it for me; that's not the business they're in. I call my guitar tech if I have to, or I go to John Mann's Guitar Vault for things I can fix myself. If I gouge the top of my McCarty with a screwdriver, for example, I'm not going to accuse PRS Guitars of "abysmal customer service" if they say all they can do for me is a full refin in the PTC, and I'm on the hook for shipping both ways. My guitar tech can spot fix so it's hardly noticeable for a fraction of the price, but that's what he does; it's his business model. PRS is a guitar manufacturer; they are responsible to me for warranty service and parts (which is done locally through dealers as a rule). They're not responsible to fix my screw ups at a price I find acceptable.

There are after market brass trem blocks(for a temporary fix). I used Musiclily ones for my SEs and they work. I had to countersink the 3 screw holes for the flat heads to fit properly. Personally, I never used 4 springs on any trem. I use 2 and a ESP term stabilizer. But I use 9s or 10s. That's crazy that the spring is steel yet still broke off. What caused that, if you don't mind explaining?
The John Mann idea is the best if you want it original or better.

Back