Abbey Road at 50

Shawn@PRS

yogi
50 Years ago today the Beatles and Sir George Martin release the album, Abbey Road. The name comes from the address of the EMI Studios (3 Abbey Road, Westminster) where the album was recorded. In 1970, the studio changed its name to "Abbey Road Studios" to reflect the popularity of the Beatles album.

original_441.jpg

Quick story: I was in the UK a few years ago on vacation and took the opportunity while I was in London to fly up to Aberdeen for the day to visit my father. This meant leaving the apartment very early in the morning to go to Heathrow to catch the flight up to Scotland. I'm sitting in the back of the taxi and it's like there's not a soul around and the driver mentions in passing that we're on Abbey Road. Yes sir. Stop the taxi! I shouted and hopped out and the driver took my picture walking across the famous cross walk. In the dark, in a deserted street. Took a couple more shots with both him and me walking back and forth. Very silly, very funny but also, in my opinion, a real cool memento. Cheers.

I was about 10 years old when I heard the album. Even at that young age I was amazed at the depth and breadth of what I was hearing. The difference between that and the top 40 bubble gum that was on the air at the time was dramatic.

Quick story: I was in the UK a few years ago on vacation and took the opportunity while I was in London to fly up to Aberdeen for the day to visit my father. This meant leaving the apartment very early in the morning to go to Heathrow to catch the flight up to Scotland. I'm sitting in the back of the taxi and it's like there's not a soul around and the driver mentions in passing that we're on Abbey Road. Yes sir. Stop the taxi! I shouted and hopped out and the driver took my picture walking across the famous cross walk. In the dark, in a deserted street. Took a couple more shots with both him and me walking back and forth. Very silly, very funny but also, in my opinion, a real cool memento. Cheers.

Was there a few years ago with my wife and son. We had to do the zebra crossing and my son wrote his name on the wall.
zebra crossing.jpg
front door.jpg
studio2.jpg
control room.jpg

I grew up listening to the Beatles, Moody Blues, Sabbath, etc, on albums that my parents had, and that is still the type of music that I like best, classic. It is amazing that even 50 years later, the Beatles music is still relevant. My mom still has her White Album that I wrote my name on when I was about 5 years old (in ink :eek: ), and the album was brand new at the time. How time flies.

When we drove past that intersection, there were already a bunch of bozos already getting their pics taken and Mrs. B wasn’t anxious to be one of them, so I snapped a photo of other people and drove on. Need to find those photos...film...way before digital.

Back