Abbey Road at 50

Slightly off topic, but bear with me:

In the terrific Linda Ronstadt documentary "The Sound of My Voice," she talks about when Peter Asher left Apple and the Beatles in London in the early 1970s, to fly to LA and take charge of her production and management.

Peter got her backing band into the studio to rehearse the extended arrangement that became her mega-hit, "You're No Good," with several breakdowns, atmospheric guitars, and reintroductions, going on for nearly 7 minutes.

Then when he brought her into the studio to hear the backing arrangement, she didn't like it at first. "This sounds like the Beatles," she recalls telling Asher. "This sounds like 'Abbey Road'."

The rest is rock history:

=K

Abbey Road is the #1 album in America this week.

I think much of it has to do with the outtakes. But it is simply astounding that The Beatles' popularity appears to never wain over the decades - such is the power of their songwriting and musicianship.

I was going through some pics on my phone yesterday, and ran across some that I took when the Mrs and I saw McCartney in 2017. They made me think back to this post, and all of the decades old rumors associated with Paul being dead. Looking at the pics I took, I'm not so sure they really are just "rumors." Check out the white blob that is Paul. Every pic I took of him, no matter where he was on the stage, looks similar to these.

WmiiNIf.jpg

57Y4yaR.jpg

WhefGjh.jpg

fz9ByPL.jpg

98znYVP.jpg

Back