Abbey Road at 50

Was there a few years ago with my wife and son. We had to do the zebra crossing and my son wrote his name on the wall.View attachment 7643 View attachment 7644 View attachment 7645 View attachment 7646

That's the music biz insider tour - pretty epic to have been shown around. I did the more common 'random tourist tour' - the one where you run up to the front door, grab a quick pic, then run away before they shout at you. You could tell they were used to it (resigned is probably a better description). Did the zebra walk too but can't find my photos at this point.

On the cover of the Yellow Submarine album, Lennon is supposed to be doing the sign language symbol for "love". But without the thumb extended, he's doing Devil's horns! Another Beatles conspiracy? Poor animation? You be the judge...

WPxC1v9l.jpg

On the cover of the Yellow Submarine album, Lennon is supposed to be doing the sign language symbol for "love". But without the thumb extended, he's doing Devil's horns! Another Beatles conspiracy? Poor animation? You be the judge...

WPxC1v9l.jpg

So you're saying Ronnie James Dio's claim is disproven? Lennon was metal before metal was metal?

In 2009, I went to London on a business trip. While I was there, I looked up where Abbey Road was, and found that it was a reasonable tube ride from where I was staying. I didn't consider myself a huge Beatles fan, but as a music fan, I couldn't pass this up. So I popped the "Abbey Road" album on my iPod and hopped the tube. As I got nearer, I remembered two things - the web cam, and that it was still afternoon in the US and my wife was still at work. So I texted her and told her to pull up the web cam. Total geek tourist move (I still wish I'd thought to tell her to take a screen capture of it). I found a young lady there to take my picture as I crossed. I didn't walk up to the door - I didn't even walk onto studio property because it felt a little odd knowing that it was a working studio. So I don't have that picture, just ones like this...

AbbeyRoad.jpg

I had to admit after this that maybe I was a bigger Beatles fan than I thought. "Abbey Road" is my favorite Beatles album - I have the new box set coming, probably next week. When the last set of remasters came out, I put the CD on and stood in front of the speakers - my God, what sound! When "Here Comes The Sun" started, the sound of the acoustic guitar gave me chills and I teared up instantly. Not a reaction I expected from a Beatles album, but hell yeah.

A few years later, they opened up Abbey Road for public tours. A guy I knew on another board who was a huge Beatles fan - think of the biggest Trekkie you can imagine and multiply by about 1000, this guy knew EVERYTHING (it turned out later he's apparently a pretty bad guy, but I'm still amazed at what he knew) - went. One of the things they did was get a couple people out of the group - he was one - and have them go to the "Day In The Life" piano, where certain keys were marked with tape. They divided the keys up, counted off, and played THAT chord. He said it was practically a religious experience. I'm not going to lie - I seriously considered hopping a plane to do that, but the only available weekend was my daughter's birthday. I couldn't quite convince myself to go. I still kind of regret it.

Bob Kevoian, formerly the Bob of the Bob and Tom show, went to Abbey Road with his wife. He's a former professional singer, and a huge music buff. He said someone offered to take their picture in front of the door. He said when they finally looked at the picture, the guy had zoomed in so close, all you could see was their faces. He said, "We could have been at the mall for all you can tell from this."

Back