A modern core guitar vs

Isaac cruz

One of the great things about PRS is that they’re constantly evolving. This made me wonder, how would a current core guitar stack up to some of the first private stocks? Or how would a current SE stack up to one of the first cores?

Here's a video comparing a new Custom 24 with an older Custom 24 - one of the first 100...

Not only can you here a difference, even over youtube with the compression etc, but you can also see how other improvements over time and what things still remain - not just in terms of sound but also in the design choices too...

Just from first hand experience, I have consistently been more satisfied with the modern PRS over a late 80's early 90's example. I just prefer the improvements that have been thought out over the years. To my ears, the vintage examples sound thinner and have an upper mid sound that disagrees with my ear. However, I DO dig the sweet switch.....

I don't think there is any question that the new ones are "better" in an evolutionary sense, but I don't believe that is the end of the discussion. The old ones have a character that becomes even more impressive when you reflect on how well they have withstood the test of time. They compete with the best of what the industry has to stand up to them even today.

Yes they sound different. Yes people change out the pups because they were the weak link for that generation of PRSi. But the carve of the body and neck, the quality of woods, the colors and finishes are state of the art today as much as 30 years ago. It is astounding that PRSH got so many things right the first time. Then when you consider how many things he personally has 'tweaked", that there is anything left of the original is impressive.

So I'm happy to say that the new ones are "better". Paul says the same thing. But the old ones have a character that is valuable on its own merits.

The operative question is whether 1985 Vintage Core Me is better than 2019 Core Me?

I did a side by side comparison, and have firmly decided that 1985 Vintage Core Me was a much better version of me than 2019 Core Me. And 2019 Core Me is better than SE Me or S2 Me.

Sadly, there is no PS Me.

I have therefore decided that Things Are Only Going To Get Worse. It’s kind of a disconcerting prospect, :(

Last edited:
One of the great things about PRS is that they’re constantly evolving.

Debatable.

This made me wonder, how would a current core guitar stack up to some of the first private stocks?

If you include the options that are now available on AP and WL guitars it’d be kinda too close to call a winner IMO. Core guitars have really become more diversified then they once were.

Or how would a current SE stack up to one of the first cores?

F@cking trash, comparatively. I love SE’s but... C’mon.

So I'm happy to say that the new ones are "better".

I’m happy to say that too... as long as I do the air quotes thing when saying it. Or maybe if I just open my eyes all wide and give you that look if Paul is standing behind me.

Debatable.

What’s debatable? The definition of ‘evolved’ is ‘developed gradually’.

So. Let’s think about what’s developed gradually on PRS guitars; I can think of a few: CNC, the finish (at least three times that we know of plus the nitro stuff), the bridge (the trem at least three times that we know of, the stop tail with the 2 piece, the adjustable, the piezo, and the materials) the tuners, the nut material, the inlays, the pickups and electronics, the choice of models, and probably dozens of other things.

So except for the fact that they’re largely made of wood, everything that touches the strings, everything that transduces sound, and everything that transmits it to the output jack (including the switching system) has ‘gradually developed’, i.e., evolved.

Honestly, I don’t see what there is to debate.

You may be confusing “evolved” with “improved”.

Improvement? That’s not a requirement in the definition of ‘evolved’ though it’s often taken to mean that.

I suppose you can debate whether the changes in a musical instrument used for self-expression improve it, but that’s going to boil down to mere opinion. It makes no sense to debate opinion. Allow me to demonstrate a debate of opinion:

“I like it better.”

“I don’t.”

“Oh yeah, well f you.”

“Same to you buddy.”

There’s your opinion debate. But the guitars certainly have evolved.

Last edited:
I’m happy to say that too... as long as I do the air quotes thing when saying it. Or maybe if I just open my eyes all wide and give you that look if Paul is standing behind me.

Great.....now I don't know what to do next week. Have your back, or watch the show!

Back