A little dye experiment on the swamp ash control cavity plates for the swamp ash body MEV

Last edited:
I use TranTint dyes and denatured alchohol , mix them in a jar and hold them up to the light until I get the shade just right .
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30277&d=1552779529

The real fun as you've found is using varying shades . I've used 20 on this one instrument .. the results .. when you shift the guitar under the lights it changes colors .. it's all about subtlety and patience

I went with this crazy Fiebings alcohol based leather dye like some others seemed to use with success. Since most of the stuff I've
messed with has been simple opague colors with a clear, it was nice that I could get small bottles for the colors I purchased for
combining, back sanding, more experimental combining, etc. without spending a lot on a huge bottle.

I was originally going to just do the grain fill and a satin coat with these Swamp Ash plates (all the guy had and I figured I'd jump
on them since I'd never seen any Modern Eagle V wooden control plates of any kind before). Had I been patient, I could have most
likely gotten him to cut me a set in flame maple. I'm glad some here suggested trying to match the stain on the next for contrast since
the wood grain on the control plate was about 45 degrees from more vertical compared to most of the body grains.

I'll be curious to how much the satin nitro "darkens" the finish a little on the plates.
Good practice on a little fairly economical plates versus a high dollar guitar body!

I use TranTint dyes and denatured alchohol , mix them in a jar and hold them up to the light until I get the shade just right .
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30277&d=1552779529

The real fun as you've found is using varying shades . I've used 20 on this one instrument .. the results .. when you shift the guitar under the lights it changes colors .. it's all about subtlety and patience

That guitar is absolutely incredible!!! WOW! That's a kazillion googleplex times above anything I could even attempt to do! :oops:

Thanks for all the extremely generous and kind words!
I still think I suck at the wood stuff... Dohhhh!
On a happy progress note, I've gotten a few coats of clear on. I ended up going with a more glossy clear and sorta like it okay so far. Opinions welcome, whether positive or constructive criticism. I've got thick skin and welcome all opinions!
Rhm2VtH.jpeg

Thanks for all the extremely generous and kind words!
I still think I suck at the wood stuff... Dohhhh!
On a happy progress note, I've gotten a few coats of clear on. I ended up going with a more glossy clear and sorta like it okay so far. Opinions welcome, whether positive or constructive criticism. I've got thick skin and welcome all opinions!
Rhm2VtH.jpeg
Put the plates next to the neck in the future so it is easier to compare to what you are matching (like you did in one of the previous shots in post 6) ;~))

Nice work Wil(l)

This was a test piece for a guitar build, where I stained a burst on a whole guitar top. I used water based leather dyes. Still nerve wracking though -

(edit) test piece below.

Here’s the actual guitar without lacquer -

and with -

My luthier friend was responsible for the build and lacquering.

Nice work Wil(l)

This was a test piece for a guitar build, where I stained a burst on a whole guitar top. I used water based leather dyes. Still nerve wracking though -

(edit) test piece below.

Here’s the actual guitar without lacquer -

and with -

My luthier friend was responsible for the build and lacquering.
Orianthi Is Approaching Your Door...

Thanks! I think the neck is getting brighter light than the pieces (except at their edges closest to the neck), so I think in that light, they look like they could use more yellow, but if you look at the edges that are lit more like the neck, I think it is perfect match. So I am going with that, I would say you are there and did a rockin' job on this DIY'r!! Congrats, it is one hot Momma!!!

Back