A little dye experiment on the swamp ash control cavity plates for the swamp ash body MEV

Thanks! I think the neck is getting brighter light than the pieces (except at their edges closest to the neck), so I think in that light, they look like they could use more yellow, but if you look at the edges that are lit more like the neck, I think it is perfect match. So I am going with that, I would say you are there and did a rockin' job on this DIY'r!! Congrats, it is one hot Momma!!!
Depends on the lighting and whether there's a flash or not.
I think the biggest obstacle was all that was available was the porous swamp ash and the grain patterns are so much more narrow with wider "plain" areas in the wood pattern.
4NO7yES.jpeg

Nice work Wil(l)

This was a test piece for a guitar build, where I stained a burst on a whole guitar top. I used water based leather dyes. Still nerve wracking though -

(edit) test piece below.

Here’s the actual guitar without lacquer -

and with -

My luthier friend was responsible for the build and lacquering.
It's amazing how much water wiping will pull out the alcohol based leather dyes as well!
Not as much as denatured alcohol will. I liked how the quick, gentle water wipe would even things out when I would do it after certain stain stages.
Such a fun and educational experiment.

Can't wait for a set of flamed maple plates to get here for my DGT. Looking forward to seeing how the turquoise first coat, back sand, and then yellow layer(s) to try to match the Eriza Verde on that neck!

It's good that there's always going back to the plain black plastic. LoL!!!

Thanks! I think the neck is getting brighter light than the pieces (except at their edges closest to the neck), so I think in that light, they look like they could use more yellow, but if you look at the edges that are lit more like the neck, I think it is perfect match. So I am going with that, I would say you are there and did a rockin' job on this DIY'r!! Congrats, it is one hot Momma!!!
The neck is definitely darker than when I had it under the kitchen fluorescent and the flash was on with the galaxy Zfold 5. Hehehe

Back