90% You are buying strings wrong

For strings, just like almost anything else, personal preference and experimentation will get your farther along the path.

There was one bit of disinformation at the end. He says you won't have to alter the setup for your guitar.

I don't care who made the guitar, if you change string gauge, at lease check your setup. Chances are pretty good that it will need tweaking. If you are going up in gauge, you're probably going to have to at least have the nut slots filed to accommodate the wider strings.

Brian May, who has one of the best tones in history, recorded with the 8s or 9s set on a 24" scale guitar. EVH uses the 9s tuned down to Eb. Gary Moore used the 9s on his famous LP. The list of good tones achieved with thin strings goes on and on. In contrast, many players get amazing tones from thicker strings (SRV, Rory, etc.). It's a personal preference. Criticizing the string choices of 90% of guitar players shows a completely distorted view of the guy in the video.

For strings, just like almost anything else, personal preference and experimentation will get your farther along the path.

There was one bit of disinformation at the end. He says you won't have to alter the setup for your guitar.

I don't care who made the guitar, if you change string gauge, at lease check your setup. Chances are pretty good that it will need tweaking. If you are going up in gauge, you're probably going to have to at least have the nut slots filed to accommodate the wider strings.

Yes, plus minor adjustments to intonation on the bridge, and adjusting the trem springs to bring it back to level.

hmmmn I use 11's on all my electrics and 10=47 on my acoustics ....
most people simply need to change their strings more often than once a year !

I'm surprised that more folks haven't mentioned the fact that the PRS 9.5 gauge set is almost exactly the "light top-heavy bottom" idea this guy is suggesting. I was pleasantly surprised him much I liked them on 22 fret guitars. For 24 frets, for me, I seem to prefer a step or two lighter than 22 frets.

I think there are more than 90% of people who are buying the wrong strings for the dude that made this video.

Last edited:
I like this guy's videos and I've already subscribed to his channel. My thoughts on this is he's right on the money about heavier strings being able to go lower without buzzing. I wouldn't take the "you" in the title too personally. He offers a tip. Take it or leave it. That's all.

To me 90% of what he says is right.
Bigger strings=bigger signal, tone, tuning stability, better string buzz control.

What I don't think is right is that they are easier to play, properly setup lighter gauge strings are going to be easier to play HANDS DOWN(I've done a lot of setups), and I'm not gigging every week or doing jam sessions all the time, mainly songwriting & recording, but I can bend all my strings with ease and I play 11-46. I just think he's a little off base on those two topics. I will admit he sounds pretty good, plays well I'll give him that.:top:

Nowhere in this video does he mention the true right way to buy strings: Amazon Subscribe&Save. Comes to your house automagically with the diaper sub for the kids.

yawn...I've got 3 different sets on 3 different electrics, each picked to allow the guitar to play/sound it's best.

What I don't think is right is that they are easier to play, properly setup lighter gauge strings are going to be easier to play HANDS DOWN(I've done a lot of setups),
This is his point I had issue with. While you can lower the action some with heavier gauge strings, they are going to be harder to press down on for chording due to the higher tension even if you don't bend.

I prefer 10s on most of my 25, 24.75, and 24.5 scale guitars for standard tuning. I've gone with a bigger low E or a hybrid set on some when I kept them in Dropped D or Dropped D flat. I like 9.5s on my 25.5 inch scale guitars just to keep the tension somewhat consistent but I have had a couple of strats that seem to play sound sound better with 10s, but again that's just my preference and it varies by guitar.

He makes a really good argument for hybrid string sets. I already play on 10s though.

does this debate ever end? i mean really, who gives a flip? whatever works for you is all that matters. people should spend more time playing their guitars instead of trying to disect and analyze every little damn thing!

Nowhere in this video does he mention the true right way to buy strings: Amazon Subscribe&Save. Comes to your house automagically with the diaper sub for the kids.

So, what gauge strings do you use on the kid? :vroam:

Back