6? 7? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I went to a store that had one and sat down and played an open B for 20 mins, and knew right then and there that I would never write another song that wasn’t in the key of B if I bought it. :p
I have had a couple of 7 string guitars. Its only worth it if you are going to use the full range of the guitar. If you just want to riff in B standard you can just buy heavier strings and a bit of a setup.
I liked the 7 string when I had it for the guitar music theory aspect/pattern of it with extended cords. It was cool and allowed me to riff a bit lower in the baritone range.
I've had a couple of seven stringers for years - I got my SE CU-24-7 for Christmas back in 2014 (I had to search the forums - geez, has it been 8 years since I got that?). Got the SVN in July 2018. I definitely fell into that "everything is a djenty riff in B" trapdoor for the longest time.

Then suddenly, earlier this year, my brain clicked, and I "discovered" how to map the 6-string fretboard to the 7-string variant, and I could come up with a riff in any key and leverage the lower string as needed, incorporating it into partial chords structures or some noodly lead break stuff.

I think what helped was getting a Mandola for Christmas a couple of years ago, which is a Mandolin (GDAE) but tuned a fifth down (CGDA) - so basically, the lower string is "down one", like a baritone guitar (which I also have a couple). I finally started to suss out how to map those tuning earlier this year, vs just playing "rote patterns".

Getting an 8-string recently has helped cement some of that "extended mapping".

I've had a couple of seven stringers for years - I got my SE CU-24-7 for Christmas back in 2014 (I had to search the forums - geez, has it been 8 years since I got that?). Got the SVN in July 2018. I definitely fell into that "everything is a djenty riff in B" trapdoor for the longest time.

Then suddenly, earlier this year, my brain clicked, and I "discovered" how to map the 6-string fretboard to the 7-string variant, and I could come up with a riff in any key and leverage the lower string as needed, incorporating it into partial chords structures or some noodly lead break stuff.

I think what helped was getting a Mandola for Christmas a couple of years ago, which is a Mandolin (GDAE) but tuned a fifth down (CGDA) - so basically, the lower string is "down one", like a baritone guitar (which I also have a couple). I finally started to suss out how to map those tuning earlier this year, vs just playing "rote patterns".

Lol! Yeah, thirty years later I’d probably be better equipped to make more use outta the four extra notes I’d get from a 7 string.

But most likely not.

I find myself omitting more and more low notes from chords, and playing more chord fragments rather than full bare chords.

I dunno, I guess I’ll get an extended range guitar in my next life when I’m back to hating bass players.

In terms of the patterns I used to visualise fingerings in 2 and 3 string (1 octave) chunks that can be moved around (taking into account the M3rd interval between the G and B strings,) so adapting to 7 string was not a huge leap. What was very difficult for me was to learn to play without looking at my fretting hand and relying on visual clues but it was a game changer for me.

I found practicing any series of notes (of the same pitch) using every possible fingering / number of strings very beneficial in terms of both concentrating on "sound" rather than "fingers."

Woof! I have an old bass playing band mate that had a stick.

Those are about as useful as a guitar synth.
I still have one lurking in the back of a wardrobe!

fhvdopsg8iw2lxqklr6j.jpg

Do people actually become adept at alternate and standard tuning and able to move from on to the other, improvise, and play on the fly? I find it challenging.

Look up Michael Hedges. That dude was a freak with how he thought about and processed music. Constantly changed tunings.

Mike Keneally used to change tunings a lot as well, but I don't know if he does that as much anymore. Certainly not as much when he's in a sideman role.

Look up Michael Hedges. That dude was a freak with how he thought about and processed music. Constantly changed tunings.

Mike Keneally used to change tunings a lot as well, but I don't know if he does that as much anymore. Certainly not as much when he's in a sideman role.
I really like Michael hedges’s stuff.

Back