594 vs SC245

Pseudohobbit

Well, took back the LP for a refund. I want another PRS. I have a Cu24. I want one that is throaty and can get meaty as well. Thinking either a 594 or SC245, the latter with 57/08 pickups or 59s). Advice would be great.

And I’m not concerned about neck carves. I kind of like the variety and inspires me to play each instrument differently.

Thanks!

Either will get you what you are after. For me it's the control layout difference or the difference in one having a 2 piece or a stoptail. Find which has the features you prefer.

The 594 has the 2 piece, not the stoptail. If you want the stoptail you will be looking for the SC flavor, either the 245 or an older SC with #7's (which is my favorite).

Honestly like the two-piece and the tail. Just want meaty, honky mahogany goodness.

I just sold a Singlecut Brazilian that had a stoptail bridge and "#7" pickups in it, and that thing was a beast. Don't shy away from a used "singlecut" model with those #7 pickups... those things are ROCK.

Very similar guitars. Like other have said the layout is the biggest difference. If you are use to LP than get a 594 as it’s similar.
I found using both way too confusing for my small brain.

Is there a big difference in tone between the 594 singlecut vs double?
There does tend to be a little bit more bass in the voice of the singlecut vs. the double cut. The singlecut has a lot more neck/body contact area where they join, which apparently results in the bigger bass response.

PRS has even addressed this in the Singlecut 594 models, which have a “58/15LT+” pickup—the little “+” indicating that the pickups are voiced for the greater bass of the singlecut 594 neck/body. (The double cut 594 pickups are the standard 58/15LT.) I had read this little nugget of information somewhere within this forum... just can’t seem to find it specifically right now.

Very similar guitars. Like other have said the layout is the biggest difference. If you are use to LP than get a 594 as it’s similar.
I found using both way too confusing for my small brain.

So did I. If you end up liking and getting an SC245 just re-wire the knobs to the LP configuration to avoid that issue playing live. That's what I did.

Back