PRS SE McCarty 594

Mind Flayer

Hey all -- I picked up a new PRS SE McCarty 594. Liking the feel of it so far.

I have a set of Duncan 59s in a drawer, the nickel covered, 4-wired variety. Duncan 59s are kind of my go-to pickup; the stock ones aren't bad, but I'd like to put these to use.

Anybody know if these would fit into my guitar? I have a recollection that some pickups -- Duncans, I believe -- don't always fit well in PRS SEs, maybe due to the metal legs of the pickups being too long or something. Anybody know if this would be an issue with this particular model?

Also, does anyone know what value pots come with these? If they're 500k's, I'll probably just stick with the stock pots.

Yes, they fit..older PRS used to be better with short leg pickups. Lately, more and more seem to work with the longer legs. I've had older core models work with long leg too. All my se have had zero issue with long leg. I'm a fan of SD too.

Yes, they are 500k pots. I'd swap out wiring while in there to core, but it wouldn't be necessary.

Yes, they fit..older PRS used to be better with short leg pickups. Lately, more and more seem to work with the longer legs. I've had older core models work with long leg too. All my se have had zero issue with long leg. I'm a fan of SD too.

Yes, they are 500k pots. I'd swap out wiring while in there to core, but it wouldn't be necessary.
Thank you! Quick follow up: when you mention swapping out the wiring "to core," what do you mean?

Core would be the wiring that comes in the USA core guitars. Personally, I’d get better pots before I changed pickups. You may get a great surprise.

Thank you! Quick follow up: when you mention swapping out the wiring "to core," what do you mean?

Core would be the wiring that comes in the USA core guitars. Personally, I’d get better pots before I changed pickups. You may get a great surprise.
This.. I've been surprised how quality pots and such have helped the tone. There was a time I probably wouldn't have agreed, or atleast there was a time when I'd swap pickups and call it a day. Then when on the journey of modifying me se Cu24, my thinking changed. I swapped out to SD JB/Jazz combo and was really happy with the outcome. But then I decided to swap the electronics and was surprised how much the tone improved. Sure it may be difference in tolerances or taper, but it's still a welcomed difference. The se pickups I didn't care for at all ended up in a LP with RS guitarworks harness, man did they sound good! Go figure.. I now am a believer in swapping all electronics if I'm going to take the time to do it.

This.. I've been surprised how quality pots and such have helped the tone. There was a time I probably wouldn't have agreed, or atleast there was a time when I'd swap pickups and call it a day. Then when on the journey of modifying me se Cu24, my thinking changed. I swapped out to SD JB/Jazz combo and was really happy with the outcome. But then I decided to swap the electronics and was surprised how much the tone improved. Sure it may be difference in tolerances or taper, but it's still a welcomed difference. The se pickups I didn't care for at all ended up in a LP with RS guitarworks harness, man did they sound good! Go figure.. I now am a believer in swapping all electronics if I'm going to take the time to do it.
Interesting! So, if I took it to a tech and wanted to upgrade the wiring, what specifically would I ask them for? What kind of pots, caps, etc, do they use in the Cores?

Interesting! So, if I took it to a tech and wanted to upgrade the wiring, what specifically would I ask them for? What kind of pots, caps, etc, do they use in the Cores?

Have you thought about doing it yourself? PRS has a 594 drop in kit. Contact John Mann. RS guitarworks is also a good alternative to PRS for quality.

Have you thought about doing it yourself? PRS has a 594 drop in kit. Contact John Mann. RS guitarworks is also a good alternative to PRS for quality.

I'm terrible at soldering, so I'm going to have my local tech do it, as they're very good and I'm happy to give them work. Looks like John Mann is out of stock, but looks like RS Guitarworks has some, although I'll have to widen the holes in the guitar to accomodate the larger pot shafts (which is fine with me). I think I'll probably order the RS guitarworks harness and have my tech install it.

Gary has been my go to guy since 2013. Most of my guitars have upgraded electronics from him, and I have two more sets on the way for my early 2000 Singlecut's. He also does wiring harnesses for customers. Checkout his store.

Hey all -- I picked up a new PRS SE McCarty 594. Liking the feel of it so far.

I have a set of Duncan 59s in a drawer, the nickel covered, 4-wired variety. Duncan 59s are kind of my go-to pickup; the stock ones aren't bad, but I'd like to put these to use.

Anybody know if these would fit into my guitar? I have a recollection that some pickups -- Duncans, I believe -- don't always fit well in PRS SEs, maybe due to the metal legs of the pickups being too long or something. Anybody know if this would be an issue with this particular model?

Also, does anyone know what value pots come with these? If they're 500k's, I'll probably just stick with the stock pots.
I put ‘59s in the neck position of my SE Custom 24. Paired it with a Duncan Custom.
Dropped right in.
Don’t know about the metal cover.

I might start a new thread, if this is too much of a hijack. I'm thinking about getting a second LP type guitar. So the SE 594 Singlecut Standard is now of interest to me, also considering an Epiphone Jerry Cantrell Custom, as well as the SE 594 McCarty Singlecut - from what I know, the main differences between the two SE models is that the Standard has no maple top, the other one has a maple veneer - but is this mostly for aesthetics, or is it thicker like a regular LP? (Epiphone also has a veneer on some models, but the JC model might be a thicker cap). Anyway, is there a significant difference in tone really with an all mahogany body/neck versus having a maple veneer? And lastly, the 59/15 S pickups are supposed to be pretty good, aren't they? I have an SE Silver Sky, and I really like the S pickups in this guitar, compares very favorably to my Fender Professional II pickups, and they're good. I like what the OP has done here with his pickups although part of me would like to not have to do that. The Epi Cantrell LP has a Probucker 498T in the bridge that's about 14k which is pretty hot - kinda like that idea. But nice sounding PAFs aren't bad either. I have a Gibson LP Classic, with '61 PAF in it, I've been somewhat undecided if I like them or not, alnico V mags in them. Sorry for the ramble...

I put ‘59s in the neck position of my SE Custom 24. Paired it with a Duncan Custom.
Dropped right in.
Don’t know about the metal cover.
I entertained making all the changes you discussed to my 594 SE but in the end decided to sell it and buy a S2 Vela instead. If I had gone down that road it wouldn’t have sounded any better than my Epiphone 59 Reissue Les Paul that came with Gibson Burstbuckers, vintage wiring, CTS pots and Switch Craft switches standard for the same price.

Reactions: IRG
I'm thinking about getting a second LP type guitar. So the SE 594 Singlecut Standard is now of interest to me, also considering an Epiphone Jerry Cantrell Custom, as well as the SE 594 McCarty Singlecut - from what I know, the main differences between the two SE models is that the Standard has no maple top, the other one has a maple veneer - but is this mostly for aesthetics, or is it thicker like a regular LP? (Epiphone also has a veneer on some models, but the JC model might be a thicker cap). Anyway, is there a significant difference in tone really with an all mahogany body/neck versus having a maple veneer? And lastly, the 59/15 S pickups are supposed to be pretty good, aren't they? I have an SE Silver Sky, and I really like the S pickups in this guitar, compares very favorably to my Fender Professional II pickups, and they're good.
The SE 594 Standard is an all Mahogany body, the SE McCarty is a Mahogany body with a Maple cap and Flame Maple veneer. So yes, the McCarty (non-standard) is definitely thicker and heavier because of the Maple cap. The veneer layer is just for looks.

And I'd say yes, the Maple does affect the tone, but I'll leave it to others to describe how that sounds, which might be preferable, etc. Everyone's ears are different...

As for the pickups, I have several guitars with the 58/15 "S" pickups and am very happy with them. Even installed a set in my SE 35th Anniversary 24-08. However, the SE 594's you're talking about have new/updated pickups, the 58/15 LT "S". This is supposed to bring them closer to the Core line's 58/15 LT pickups. But I have not had the chance to play/hear the new LT "S" versions, so I can't offer an opinion there. The LT stands for Low Turn, fewer wraps of wire resulting in a lower-output pickup. I'd definitely encourage you to play them yourself, preferably though your normal amp setup to see how they sound for you. Pretty hard to judge by youtube videos

The SE 594 Standard is an all Mahogany body, the SE McCarty is a Mahogany body with a Maple cap and Flame Maple veneer. So yes, the McCarty (non-standard) is definitely thicker and heavier because of the Maple cap. The veneer layer is just for looks.

And I'd say yes, the Maple does affect the tone, but I'll leave it to others to describe how that sounds, which might be preferable, etc. Everyone's ears are different...

As for the pickups, I have several guitars with the 58/15 "S" pickups and am very happy with them. Even installed a set in my SE 35th Anniversary 24-08. However, the SE 594's you're talking about have new/updated pickups, the 58/15 LT "S". This is supposed to bring them closer to the Core line's 58/15 LT pickups. But I have not had the chance to play/hear the new LT "S" versions, so I can't offer an opinion there. The LT stands for Low Turn, fewer wraps of wire resulting in a lower-output pickup. I'd definitely encourage you to play them yourself, preferably though your normal amp setup to see how they sound for you. Pretty hard to judge by youtube videos
If I could follow up, so the Standard version is actually a little thinner overall? Tough to tell in photos, and I’m not sure I’ve seen specs on the two body thicknesses. It reminds me of a LP Custom that (originally) is all mahogany but is still the same thickness as a Standard that has the maple cap.

Actually I think I’ve answered my own question. On PRS website they have the Troglodyte interview of both guitars, and it appears same body thickness. The Standard just has a 2-3 piece top and it’s carved this way without the pieces of maple veneer, but otherwise they look and seem to have the same thickness, and the Standard actually has body binding, whereas the nonStandard doesn’t have actual binding, but the maple edge is exposed to look like binding.

Personally, in LP type guitars, I’ve always preferred the all hog sound. If I didn’t feel I have that base covered, I’d go Standard, live with it for a months, and then change the pots if I didn’t like the sound of the pickups. I always want a more midrange focused sound on my singlecuts. YMMV.

Actually I think I’ve answered my own question. On PRS website they have the Troglodyte interview of both guitars, and it appears same body thickness. The Standard just has a 2-3 piece top and it’s carved this way without the pieces of maple veneer, but otherwise they look and seem to have the same thickness, and the Standard actually has body binding, whereas the nonStandard doesn’t have actual binding, but the maple edge is exposed to look like binding.
Funny, I just assumed the all-mahogany SE Standard was thinner (similar to how the S2 Thinline compares to the S2 594's), but looks like I was wrong. Besides what you noted, I also just checked Sweetwater, they have several of each model to compare, with weights for each guitar listed. They definitely vary, but certainly looks like on average they're roughly the same and cover the same range. So the difference comes down to tone, aesthetics and price

Reactions: IRG
I've been surprised how quality pots and such have helped the tone.

100% disagree unless you are (accidentally) changing the value of the pots resistance . Due to tolerances you probably are changing the resistance when updating them ... unless you measure and roll sets of pots.

The only thing quality pots bring are different (perhaps better or not) taper, different feel.resistance/glide to turning the knob, and a longer service life (which will take years to make a difference).

Back