594 tuner question

ChesterB

I just noticed that the PRS website lists the 594 and 594SC as having vintage tuners, yet every example of these guitars I have seen have Phase III locking tuners? Is this another change for 2020?

Cool, Thanks. I am fine with the change. I assume that being a core guitar that the change was done more out of a quest for better tone than a cost savings measure.

Cool, Thanks. I am fine with the change. I assume that being a core guitar that the change was done more out of a quest for better tone than a cost savings measure.
Seems more a consistency across the 2020 line thing. P3 tuners were designed to transfer the tone, and (not to be too obvious) have the upgrade of locking from the old style tuners. Personally, I see it as a step backwards to something that was left behind for good reason decades ago and runs contrary to “the best of vintage guitars without the vintage problems” concept. Not a total deal-breaker, for certain, but a move I really don’t understand.

Last edited:
I’ve had enough PRSes with both kinds of tuners that I know it won’t matter to me when my 2020 McCarty arrives, since I basically hate all string changes, regardless of tuning machine type.

I drag out string changes until the strings are so dead they turn into flesh-eating zombies.

When I change strings, it always seems like a brand new experience, despite playing since 1967 (which was probably my last string change on my SG Special).

So, you know, go ahead and torture me once in a blue moon. ;)

could not agree more, gentlemen don’t break strings.

I’ve had enough PRSes with both kinds of tuners that I know it won’t matter to me when my 2020 McCarty arrives, since I basically hate all string changes, regardless of tuning machine type.

I drag out string changes until the strings are so dead they turn into flesh-eating zombies.

When I change strings, it always seems like a brand new experience, despite playing since 1967 (which was probably my last string change on my SG Special).

So, you know, go ahead and torture me once in a blue moon. ;)

Regardless of the reasons, they are cheaper tuners and will be advertised as a look/tone improvement. The locking tuners are superior. Remember? Remember when they were advertised as a tone enhancement? As of late, I have been so hesitant of all the "tone" improvements, especially taking the chrome off the tuning pegs. The prices have climbed significantly over the last 5 years and it just seems that people (myself included) get lost in some obscure detail that can't be measured let alone discerned by the human ear. However, if someone says the tuners are better, then people automatically believe it. Sorry, but having been in manufacturing and involved with various projects, non-chromed tuning pegs was the turning point for me personally. For example, the V12 finish? Where are we with that?
I personally believe we can't be "yes" men/women. We have to give feedback, albeit positive or negative.

The trend with "the kids" these days is Vintage is Better. Look at Tele's making a big come back. I am sure that Nitro, Vintage tuners and other Retro moves will help sell more....

i agree with that and certainly wasn’t defending vintage plastic tuning buttons.

Regardless of the reasons, they are cheaper tuners and will be advertised as a look/tone improvement. The locking tuners are superior. Remember? Remember when they were advertised as a tone enhancement? As of late, I have been so hesitant of all the "tone" improvements, especially taking the chrome off the tuning pegs. The prices have climbed significantly over the last 5 years and it just seems that people (myself included) get lost in some obscure detail that can't be measured let alone discerned by the human ear. However, if someone says the tuners are better, then people automatically believe it. Sorry, but having been in manufacturing and involved with various projects, non-chromed tuning pegs was the turning point for me personally. For example, the V12 finish? Where are we with that?
I personally believe we can't be "yes" men/women. We have to give feedback, albeit positive or negative.

i agree with that and certainly wasn’t defending vintage plastic tuning buttons.
Not a big fan of plastic tuner buttons either, I’ll tell you what I checked out a silver sky this past Sunday. Very comfortable neck, great sounds but those plastic tuning buttons.... so not classy.

Not a big fan of plastic tuner buttons either, I’ll tell you what I checked out a silver sky this past Sunday. Very comfortable neck, great sounds but those plastic tuning buttons.... so not classy.
Love my SS. Those grey Teisco Del Ray-esque tuner buttons are the only cheap looking part on an otherwise pretty guitar. Work great, just homely. But even on a ‘63.5 era guitar... locking tuners (on my ‘18 model anyway). I don’t buy it.

Back