594 tuner question

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by ChesterB, Jan 16, 2020.

1. ChesterB

ChesterB New Member

I just noticed that the PRS website lists the 594 and 594SC as having vintage tuners, yet every example of these guitars I have seen have Phase III locking tuners? Is this another change for 2020?

2. Warmart

Warmart PRS noob

Yes, starting with 2020. And you can replace with phase 3 locking tuners yourself.

Zack Matzanias likes this.
  3. ChesterB

ChesterB New Member

Cool, Thanks. I am fine with the change. I assume that being a core guitar that the change was done more out of a quest for better tone than a cost savings measure.

Warmart likes this.
  4. RickP

RickP One Guitar Short...

Seems more a consistency across the 2020 line thing. P3 tuners were designed to transfer the tone, and (not to be too obvious) have the upgrade of locking from the old style tuners. Personally, I see it as a step backwards to something that was left behind for good reason decades ago and runs contrary to “the best of vintage guitars without the vintage problems” concept. Not a total deal-breaker, for certain, but a move I really don’t understand.

#4 RickP, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  5. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I have a 2001 McRosie with vintage tuners.
    I prefer the phase III locking tuners, but the vintage work perfectly.

Zack Matzanias and Alnus Rubra like this.
  6. Warmart

Warmart PRS noob

Whenever my durn boat sells, I'm getting a 594 - in that there is no doubt. If I luck upon a 2020, I'm definitely going to be leaning towards a tuner replacement. I haven't had to wrap for years, and I don't wanna go back.

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra, P90s and 3 others like this.
  7. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

I'm just not a fan of the vintage skinny stem with plasticy buttons.

BrianC, gwayne, Warmart and 1 other person like this.
  8. Warmart

Warmart PRS noob

And neither am I.

RickP likes this.
  9. RickP

Me three. A rare bad idea. I don't know how many holes I've poked in my fingers while twisting strings around a tuning peg to lock them. To hell with going back to that.

gwayne and Warmart like this.
  10. dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar New Member

I'm in the same boat......DO WANT the TCI pickups. DO NOT WANT the vintage style tuners. Since I bought two high-end guitars in the last 6 weeks I'm in no danger of buying anything new right now............I think.

11. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

My opinion switching to the vintage turners is a mistake. Phase III are awesome.

12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'll put Phase III on mine. Too lazy to wrap and stretch strings! Perhaps I'll find a good one at Exp.

Andrew Paul, Alnus Rubra and Warmart like this.
  13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I’ve had enough PRSes with both kinds of tuners that I know it won’t matter to me when my 2020 McCarty arrives, since I basically hate all string changes, regardless of tuning machine type.

I drag out string changes until the strings are so dead they turn into flesh-eating zombies.

When I change strings, it always seems like a brand new experience, despite playing since 1967 (which was probably my last string change on my SG Special).

So, you know, go ahead and torture me once in a blue moon. ;)

markd21, RickP, Andrew Paul and 3 others like this.
  14. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

could not agree more, gentlemen don’t break strings.

15. P90s

P90s New Member

i think the last time I broke a guitar string by hitting it too hard was around 1982.

16. Bluesverb

Bluesverb Currently in a long term relationship with myself!

Regardless of the reasons, they are cheaper tuners and will be advertised as a look/tone improvement. The locking tuners are superior. Remember? Remember when they were advertised as a tone enhancement? As of late, I have been so hesitant of all the "tone" improvements, especially taking the chrome off the tuning pegs. The prices have climbed significantly over the last 5 years and it just seems that people (myself included) get lost in some obscure detail that can't be measured let alone discerned by the human ear. However, if someone says the tuners are better, then people automatically believe it. Sorry, but having been in manufacturing and involved with various projects, non-chromed tuning pegs was the turning point for me personally. For example, the V12 finish? Where are we with that?
    I personally believe we can't be "yes" men/women. We have to give feedback, albeit positive or negative.

Guitpicky, RickP and Andrew Paul like this.
  17. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

The trend with "the kids" these days is Vintage is Better. Look at Tele's making a big come back. I am sure that Nitro, Vintage tuners and other Retro moves will help sell more....

Andrew Paul likes this.
  18. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

i agree with that and certainly wasn’t defending vintage plastic tuning buttons.

Andrew Paul likes this.
  19. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

Not a big fan of plastic tuner buttons either, I’ll tell you what I checked out a silver sky this past Sunday. Very comfortable neck, great sounds but those plastic tuning buttons.... so not classy.

bodia and RickP like this.
  20. RickP

Love my SS. Those grey Teisco Del Ray-esque tuner buttons are the only cheap looking part on an otherwise pretty guitar. Work great, just homely. But even on a ‘63.5 era guitar... locking tuners (on my ‘18 model anyway). I don’t buy it.

Andrew Paul likes this.