594 Single Cut Questions...

Here ya go. 3/32" is a ton of room, actually. I haven't touched the height, so as far as I know this is how it left the factory. My action is slightly higher than the PRS recommended 1/16" treble and 5/64" bass side at the 12th fret, which I'm sure I could easily correct with a little turn on the truss rod.

Never mind the dust.

JFJy0zfh.jpg

89hJ6DKh.jpg

The adjustable wraparound that was on my HBII was much closer to the body. There was hardly any daylight at all beneath the post on the treble side with that one.
Damn. I have 1/16th on the bass side, and 1/32 on the treble side. Is that abnormal?? My action is medium height. Very little room to go down, and neck is totally straight, no relief

Thanks for the info guys!

When playing the DC594 yesterday, the action was very high initially - which I thought was weird. I took it upon myself to make the guitar playable so that I could properly determine the feel/playability of the guitar. There was little space to adjust down on the treble side, so after a couple of adjustments, that went flat to the top of guitar. The bass side of the bridge was adjusted down less. The result was string height was was in no way "low", but just approaching average IMO. A person buying this PRS would be SOL if they wanted any adjustment leeway on the treble side of the bridge, for sure.

I compared the DC594 I played with the other on the rack, it it was exactly the same. That one had the same high action on the treble side, with the bridge almost flush the the top.

Again, this just could be two bad examples in a row. I am very familiar with checking next angle given the vintage guitars I own where they famously can have poor neck angles and therefore extreme bridge adjustments to compensate. I didn't expect to even check this on a PRS, so I was surprised.

I may get to play other 594's today, schedule-willing. I'll report back if I do.
-bk

Why are your adjusting setups on guitars in stores though? You should have the owner of the store doing that. By lowering the action, the intonation is likely out. What's the relief on the neck like? You can't just do part of a setup.

One of my sons manages a GC. They don't touch the guitars once they come in. It doesn't matter if they're new or used. If the guitar was shipped through strong climate change, it's very likely it needed a simple tweaking of the neck. That doesn't mean it was a bad guitar, just not set up properly. If you can, go to a better retailer. I think you'll be pleased by the instrument, and the better service. There's s reason GC is in financial trouble. And the prices may even be better.

Why are your adjusting setups on guitars in stores though? You should have the owner of the store doing that. By lowering the action, the intonation is likely out. What's the relief on the neck like? You can't just do part of a setup.

I guess it's the product of having worked in a guitar repair shop for years. I checked the neck and there was the expected slight relief, so I wasn't concerned about that. I just lowered the action, which could be reversed in just a few seconds - although I don't expect anyone would want to as the guitar was far more playable after my visit. Intonation was just fine.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should return just to be paid for my service. :)

One of my sons manages a GC. They don't touch the guitars once they come in. It doesn't matter if they're new or used. If the guitar was shipped through strong climate change, it's very likely it needed a simple tweaking of the neck. That doesn't mean it was a bad guitar, just not set up properly. If you can, go to a better retailer. I think you'll be pleased by the instrument, and the better service. There's s reason GC is in financial trouble. And the prices may even be better.

I agree. I plan to go to a better shop in the next week or so. I expect that what I saw at GC is not typical of 594s.

I just looked at both of mine. The treble side I've got a little more than 1/16 on both. Action is set about as low as it can go. I've got room to go lower, but it would sound like crap.

Well, that's more like it.

Today I had the good fortune to visit an independently-owned boutique shop and tried a SC594. Not only was it set up perfectly, it had ample travel on the bridge height adjustment, as it should. The SC594 felt perfect to me. As a long time Les Paul player (50+ years) the SC594 just felt right. The neck carve was a lot like a LP, but with that extra cut away on the underside that feels great. I played through a Vox combo and the pickups were certainly vintage-y, but clearer - especially the neck pickup - I really liked that. The coil taps were a nice touch for flexibility, but I didn't get a real traditional single coil vibe from them during this demo. The guitar sustained every bit as good as any vintage LP I've played. The overall feel and balance was wonderful. The build quality was other-worldly - much better than what I am seeing from Gibson and Fender these days.

But again, you guys already know this stuff - I am singing to the freakin' choir here. If the SC594 I played today was the color I like best, I would have been tempted to thrown-down for it.

Glad to hear you got your hands on a better set up example! Looking forward to you making the splurge!

I just looked at both of mine. The treble side I've got a little more than 1/16 on both. Action is set about as low as it can go. I've got room to go lower, but it would sound like crap.
Makes me feel better! I can go low enough on the bass side so the strings hit the frets, not as much on the treble side, but low enough where its not playable. After all the PRSs I have owned, some all the way back to the artist 2s, i have never seen a prs neck move. Im sure it happens, but must be extremely rare. VERY good!!

Well, as I posted in the Experience thread, I didn't find any McCarty sunburst 594SC's at the event. I am now reaching out to dealers to find who may have one in their order pipelines.

I know that I can special order one, but since I am not looking for anything exotic, just a "standard" 594SC sunburst - it can even be a non-10 top, I thought these would be more available, and not something that has to be special-ordered. Is it the case that they are rarely made? Are they immediately bought-up?

I've found one however, that's been sitting in stock for nearly 2 years - how does that happen? This seems incongruous with not finding any at the Experience, or for sale anywhere else in the States for some time now. I do plan to look into that one however.

Last edited:
I've found one however, that's been sitting in stock for nearly 2 years - how does that happen? This seems incongruous with not finding any at the Experience, or for sale anywhere else in the States for some time now. I do plan to look into that one however.
It’s pretty common for a dealer to have some old stock. Many of them order a bunch of the guitar of the moment. Then people choose other colours or trim. And if you’re lucky something is left when the next hot thing comes along.

When backlogs add up to half a year or more, there is no reason to blow out all your old inventory - you never know when somebody might be looking for it and not want to wait for a new order.

It’s pretty common for a dealer to have some old stock. Many of them order a bunch of the guitar of the moment. Then people choose other colours or trim. And if you’re lucky something is left when the next hot thing comes along.

When backlogs add up to half a year or more, there is no reason to blow out all your old inventory - you never know when somebody might be looking for it and not want to wait for a new order.

That makes perfect sense - thanks for that insight. I am new to purchasing PRS - things are a little different here.

It's been my experience with other brands that when something sits in stock, there's often reason for that, and sometimes it's not altogether positive. On the flip side, I bought a Tele from Sam Ash that was part of a larger limited edition run, and mine was a left-over that just sat. When they finally posted it for sale a couple of years later, I got it at a crazy steep discount on a gorgeous guitar. The situation with the 594SC I mentioned might be quite different, as you pointed out.

I've intentionally stopped playing my 594 because it made all of my other guitars feel obsolete. I mean, I've always been a PRS fan even before playing guitar. But, never felt magic until the 594. Keep in mind, each PRS I own I think sounds amazing and better than most anything I've played. I have a hollowbodyII piezo, it doesn't get much play time but, when I do... it's also magical. Oddly enough, one of my second favorite guitars is my PRS vela reclaimed. It has such a unique almost Gretsch vibe. But, I'm warning you, the 594 slays them all. I've started playing it again and it almost brings me to tears. Also, the neck pickup I find useful! Most neck pickups are to dark and muffled the 594 has a wonderful clairity an fullness about it. The Pattern vintage neck as you know is quite amazing.
My only gripe with my 594 is the fact it darkens up when you roll off the volume. So either a PRS style treble bleed or 50s wiring may be in order. Likely the treble bleed because I'd worry about losing the tone I have now by switching to 50s wiring. Also, my G string buzzes a bit but, I lowered the action below PRS standards so, that's likely my fault not the guitars. What's cruel is, they have semi hollow 594s now and I'm a sucker for a semi hollow... but, I already have a HBII piezo 10 top and a 594 10 top on a credit card... can't squeeze another PRS. Nobody gives me GAS like PRS. They know how to hit me where I'm weak. Sorry for the long ramble, I really hope you love your 594 as much as many of us do here. Good color choice by the way, I wanted McCarty burst but, went blood orange. Hopefully someone gets one in soon for you. Take care.

I have a singlecut goldtop with the P90s and a singlecut McCarty burst with a rosewood neck and board and 58/15 LTs. Amazing instruments. I’d love to have a hollow double cut, but between the two that I have and my maple neck/board custom 24 and silver sky, I have an array of tones already.

This post is meaningless.

I have a singlecut goldtop with the P90s and a singlecut McCarty burst with a rosewood neck and board and 58/15 LTs. Amazing instruments. I’d love to have a hollow double cut, but between the two that I have and my maple neck/board custom 24 and silver sky, I have an array of tones already.

Love is never meaningless!

Not meaningless!
Also, I am learning that it's easier to find a nun in a bikini than a McCarty sunburst 594SC!

Back